Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sean327

Nationwide Protest and civil unrest game thread

1 minute ago, bsu_alum9 said:

To be fair, a police station was burned down to the ground in Minneapolis last night...

Shush, it was a mostly peaceful protest exactly like the other one.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

3 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Except in assuming that she's a "liberal Hillary Clinton supporter".

There was a NY Times and NPR article about her on Tuesday that outed her as a liberal. The article pretty much called out white liberals for their racism.

23 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Nah, burning down the Arby's didn't have a thing to do with it. Internal investigations worked for days with the state's attorney's office, knowing their work would be combed over by several agencies. It took a few days because the police union is going to have lawyers looking for every broken pencil point. Rioting didn't do any of that.

Agreeing that violence is an effective catalyst for political change isn't agreeing that it is morally justified. Picking at every instance where an act of mass violence was followed by positive political or social change and finding an argument for some ordered institutional process actually being the prime mover seems to indicate something one may want to be true more than something that is actually true. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 minute ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Shush, it was a mostly peaceful protest exactly like the other one.

That police station was a legitimate target. It was a symbol of the department’s abuses. I’m glad they burned that bitch down.

28 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

I don't think transgender came up in Hebrew/Jewish culture 2,000 years ago or Beduin culture further back than that.  Homosexuality was addressed.  I am not going to give a Sunday school lesson on it.  You can google it.

Yes it was addressed. Have you ever worked on a Sunday? Ever planted different crops side by side? Ever wear clothes with two different threads? These are also things that were addressed in the Bible, but somehow largely ignored today.

25 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Nah, burning down the Arby's didn't have a thing to do with it. Internal investigations worked for days with the state's attorney's office, knowing their work would be combed over by several agencies. It took a few days because the police union is going to have lawyers looking for every broken pencil point. Rioting didn't do any of that.

The pressure rioting brings can't be discounted. Ordinarily, illegal chokeholds don't get prosecuted at all.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

1 minute ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

The pressure rioting brings can't be discounted. Ordinarily, illegal chokeholds don't get prosecuted at all.

I think I would agree with you in the main. Technology and political pressure for body cameras has allowed for many injustices that in the past would be swept under the rug to be shown the light of day. 10, 15 years ago, this murder is typed up as an accident and nobody would be any the wiser. This time though, people saw it and were outraged. It didn't take burning a city block to get the result either.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

35 minutes ago, renoskier said:

To me, it looked like he wasn't going to let up as long as anyone was yelling at him to "let up".

Just couldn't give up control of the situation.

When I watched and listened to the entire video, there was one part that told me what kind of man he was.

Officer Chauvin asks George Floyd if he will get into the car. Floyd says he will. Chauvin never lets go to allow that to happen.

6 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Yes it was addressed. Have you ever worked on a Sunday? Ever planted different crops side by side? Ever wear clothes with two different threads? These are also things that were addressed in the Bible, but somehow largely ignored today.

A great TV "dressing down" :thumbsup:

33 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Go after those other guys who won’t vote Jorgensen. They’d let Hitler win!!!!!

nah, you'd let hitler win just to spite the people voting for the non genocidal candidate.

15 minutes ago, sean327 said:

That police station was a legitimate target. It was a symbol of the department’s abuses. I’m glad they burned that bitch down.

I guess that autozone was just an innocent bystander caught in the crossfire of righteousness.

4 minutes ago, renoskier said:

A great TV "dressing down" :thumbsup:

I was going to link, rather than steal, but I figured nobody would have watched it. I love that scene.

14 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Agreeing that violence is an effective catalyst for political change isn't agreeing that it is morally justified. Picking at every instance where an act of mass violence was followed by positive political or social change and finding an argument for some ordered institutional process actually being the prime mover seems to indicate something one may want to be true more than something that is actually true. 

Is it though?  Or is the action so heinous it would have happened anyway.   It is not like this officer wasn't going to be charged and changes made.  I am not sure you can make the case violence caused the change versus it and change were the result of a heinous situation.

Just now, NVGiant said:

I was going to link, rather than steal, but I figured nobody would have watched it. I love that scene.

I've posted this one before; there was some great dialogue in that series.

Just now, thelawlorfaithful said:

I guess that autozone was just an innocent bystander caught in the crossfire of righteousness.

The Autozone shit was started by a St Paul PD officer. 

8 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I think I would agree with you in the main. Technology and political pressure for body cameras has allowed for many injustices that in the past would be swept under the rug to be shown the light of day ... before those injustices are swept under the rug. 10, 15 years ago, this murder is typed up as an accident and nobody would be any the wiser. This time though, people saw it and were outraged. It didn't take burning a city block to get the result either.

The track record of cops being held to account isn't great, even with video. 

2 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Is it though?  Or is the action so heinous it would have happened anyway.   It is not like this officer wasn't going to be charged and changes made.  I am not sure you can make the case violence caused the change versus it and change were the result of a heinous situation.

He's not saying it's morally justified. He's saying the fact that I believe almost certainly dozens of police and prosecutors concerned with their own careers and self interest did the work to bring the charge is a reflection of my own desires for it to be true, all because I object to the statement that it was a riot that caused the end result.

2 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

The track record of cops being held to account isn't great, even with video. 

This is true and will always be true. You can have a mob, a gang, or police force; but you can't have civil liberties with the first two, and the latter two will always require special considerations for themselves.