Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sean327

Nationwide Protest and civil unrest game thread

2 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

He looks very remorseful (/sarcasm).

I just ask my child what he think when he sees this photo. "He looks like he's gonna kill someone." Those were my son's words. My son is eight. He doesn't know about George Floyd. He's oblivious to the the civil unrest currently going on. (That, I am glad about.) I started a conversation about the murder of George Floyd, institutional racism, abuse of power and injustices. Even though my son is part white, I explained that in the eyes of our society, he will always be seen as Mexican/Mexican-Am first...a brown person, because he looks like his dad more. The conversation has started now.

My son turns one this weekend. He's as white as white can be. My wife and I have had discussions about how we can make sure to raise him to not see this race shit and how to make sure we do it right but it breaks my heart thinking that you have to have conversations like this with your kid. I get it completely but it makes me sad. 

Maybe it is my kids birthday that is making me more emotional about this thing happening now..... Thinking about the world we are leaving behind. 

7 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Is this supposed to be a good thing?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

I hate to be the one to say this, because I hate cops. But I also love due process. Dude should get it just like everyone else should. Looking at his mug shot with glee and cheering that his wife is divorcing him is a bad look, friends.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

5 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Is this supposed to be a good thing?

Take it anyway you want - the guys losing everything :shrug:    This is just another hit to a bad few days for the former cop 

5 minutes ago, tspoke said:

My son turns one this weekend. He's as white as white can be. My wife and I have had discussions about how we can make sure to raise him to not see this race shit and how to make sure we do it right but it breaks my heart thinking that you have to have conversations like this with your kid. I get it completely but it makes me sad. 

Maybe it is my kids birthday that is making me more emotional about this thing happening now..... Thinking about the world we are leaving behind. 

Happy birthday to your son!:cheer:(closest emoji to birthday celebration). And what a wonderful celebration for your wife and you and your family!

Have the teaching-moments conversations with him before YouTube or TikTok (or whichever social media platform is popular when he is old enough to use mom/dad's cellphone/tablet). The will pick up things from social media and online. My kids have started watching The Simpsons. I love it as it is one of my all time favorite shows. I heard my son impersonate Apu while playing on his Swtich. I quickly had him pause the game and explained that what he had just done was wrong. He had his head set while playing, so I assume it may have been a multi-player game. Had a two minute conversation where he understood that he could have insulted someone by doing that. I acknowledge that I know he didn't mean it a disrespectful way, but it may be taken disrespectfully. I have not heard impersonation from him since. 

Another thing, my son loves baseball. We talk Jackie Robinson as much as Babe Ruth. I mention great people, alive or from the past, of all cultures and races even if just for two seconds, so he knows that all people are capable of doing great things. 

26 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

You have children??????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Oh dear Jesus. I’ve never seen kids raise their parents before, but this could actually be happening. 

As I've overheard my son say while gaming online, "Dude, you're such a try-hard". 

2 hours ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

It all depends on the nature of the apocalypse. If it is some event that kills most of the human population, resource-gathering and specialization would be far more valuable. But if the human population was not significantly reduced and resources were limited, violence would be a more important and more frequently practiced part of cooperation.

I mean, in the latter the violence would be the apocalypse. So, as i said, it would be a reality. And it wouldn't be a particularly unique skill to be able to deal with it. The ability to facilitate cooperation would be the much more valuable skill.

9 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I hate to be the one to say this, because I hate cops. But I also love due process. Dude should get it just like everyone else should. Looking at his mug shot with glee and cheering that his wife is divorcing him is a bad look, friends.

Eh, statistically as a cop he's much more likely to beat her than the average person. Maybe there are other reasons.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

6 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Take it anyway you want - the guys losing everything :shrug:    This is just another hit to a bad few days for the former cop 

Fair enough. You're not cheering, you're reporting. 

27 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Man things are getting crazy. My buddy is going to a protest tonight in Seaside, which is close to where I’m at, hope it doesn’t get too crazy.

Seaside. That is something. My bro graduated from MB. I remember it as such a little sleepy beach town.

3 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I mean, in the latter the violence would be the apocalypse. So, as i said, it would be a reality. And it wouldn't be a particularly unique skill to be able to deal with it. The ability to facilitate cooperation would be the much more valuable skill.

You're right. I mean, you could be a lone Navy Seal Rambo Ninja Green Beret Killer, but 50 former computer programmers are gonna out complete you every time. 

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

1 minute ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

Eh, statistically as a cop he's much more likely to beat her than the average person. Maybe there are other reasons.

This is true. Im also statistically more likely to kill ky wife than anyone. But if she turned up dead, I still deserve due process.

Now I get that cops get due process more than anyone. But in this case I feel the need to be the guy to raise his hand tentatively and say "due process" because I am that guy.

Just now, youngrebelfan40 said:

You're right. I mean, you could be a lone Navy Seal Libertarian Rambo Ninja Green Beret Killer, but 50 former computer programmers are gonna out complete you every time. 

You think that's how the apocalypse is gonna work? A Rambo navy seal fighting groups of ex coders?

2 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

You think that's how the apocalypse is gonna work? A Rambo navy seal fighting groups of ex coders?

You gotta admit that's a pretty good apocalypse B-movie plot. 

10 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

This is true. Im also statistically more likely to kill ky wife than anyone. But if she turned up dead, I still deserve due process.

Now I get that cops get due process more than anyone. But in this case I feel the need to be the guy to raise his hand tentatively and say "due process" because I am that guy.

It was investigated and he is being charged.  He has had as much due process as the average citizen, and a whole hell of a lot more than Mr. Floyd received.  It will play out in the courts, but the tapes are giving the people a peek into how that testimony is going to play out.

13 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Seaside. That is something. My bro graduated from MB. I remember it as such a little sleepy beach town.

I actually grew up in Seaside, it’s an interesting city. Started as an unincorporated town called East Monterey; from what I’ve been told black and Latino people were basically red lined out of Monterey, so all the non-white guys stationed at nearby Fort Ord lived there as opposed to Monterey. That’s why today you have Monterey which is like 80% white and very rich, and then Seaside right next door which is like 20-30% white and more working class. 

Not that is has anything to do with the riots, but just another example of how racist policies from decades ago still shape neighborhoods to this day.

1 minute ago, East Coast Aztec said:

It was investigated and he is being charged.  He has had as much due process as the average citizen, and a whole hell of a lot more than Mr. Floyd received.  It will play out in the courts, but the tapes are giving the people a peek into how that testimony is going to play out.

Everyone is convinced he's a murderer. And has be even been arraigned yet?

I'm not saying hes not a murderer. I'm saying as of right now  no one gives a shit about due process. That's never a good thing.