Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sean327

Nationwide Protest and civil unrest game thread

7 hours ago, RogueStout said:

tacticool

Lol, I've never heard that term before! I've been calling them gun LARPers, but I like yours better.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

Well, violence would be important but not the end-all-be-all.

One of the primary benefits to forging relationships with others would be an increased capacity to inflict violence, however.

I would say that it has way more to do with scaling up the capacity to carry out and sustain the necessary tasks for living. But there is truth to your point, too.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I’ve voted for independent candidates at least twice, Perot and Nader,  and found it was a lost cause. If I thought a good Libertarian candidate had a legit shot at winning I would vote for that candidate this election. I’ve become more pragmatic after throwing my vote away twice and now it’s become the lesser of two evils. Trump will get my vote. 

You truly are a ""dumb phuck"!

57 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

The sin of riot is nothing compared to the sin of hundreds of years of violent, systemic racism. The hypothetical and exaggerated inter-riot violence you propose here at its worst is Mr. Rogers' neighborhood when compared to the centuries-long rape and murder of black Americans that police forces perpetuate in this country. When you deny whole subjugated classes basic humanity and refuse to change by other forms of protest, the destruction of some faceless corporation's precious property is inconsequential. Your pearl-clutching here is disappointing and belies more personal investment in order than justice. 

Jesus man, grading right and wrong based upon the scale of an atrocity is really what you're doing here? +++++ the working man, they're employed by some faceless corporation so who cares that he doesn't have a place to work anymore, a safe place she used to go shopping for her family. Because bad shit was done to other people by other people in lots of other places, that shit doesn't matter. Anything can be justified with a big enough vendetta and no order. But that's not justice.

Riots aren't revolutionary political action. That requires a purpose and a target. Riots are fun, or at least they look fun to me as I watch them. The looting isn't about rectifying wrongs of the past. It's about free shit that nobody is ever going to ask anyone about because there is nobody around to ask questions. It doesn't serve a purpose in accomplishing anything political. Justice was not being denied here.

You want to rectify 400 years of oppression, everybody is waiting on an answer. The grievances are well documented, we can all pretty much spit the same line heard over and over. So if you have a good resolution to strive for instead of just platitudes cloaked in an academic veil untethered to how anything in the real world works, the world is all ears. Until then, spare me your disappointment when your solution to fix a system that enables one class of people over  others requires writing a blank check to your chosen profession. Tis not I that cares more about personal investment than justice.

Oh yeah, I now remember that the police just changed by themselves due to benevolent self-regulation, not rioting!

The people changed, riots didn't.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

33 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Jesus man, grading right and wrong based upon the scale of an atrocity is really what you're doing here? +++++ the working man, they're employed by some faceless corporation so who cares that he doesn't have a place to work anymore, a safe place she used to go shopping for her family. Because bad shit was done to other people by other people in lots of other places, that shit doesn't matter. Anything can be justified with a big enough vendetta and no order. But that's not justice.

Riots aren't revolutionary political action. That requires a purpose and a target. Riots are fun, or at least they look fun to me as I watch them. The looting isn't about rectifying wrongs of the past. It's about free shit that nobody is ever going to ask anyone about because there is nobody around to ask questions. It doesn't serve a purpose in accomplishing anything political. Justice was not being denied here.

You want to rectify 400 years of oppression, everybody is waiting on an answer. The grievances are well documented, we can all pretty much spit the same line heard over and over. So if you have a good resolution to strive for instead of just platitudes cloaked in an academic veil untethered to how anything in the real world works, the world is all ears. Until then, spare me your disappointment when your solution to fix a system that enables one class of people over  others requires writing a blank check to your chosen profession. Tis not I that cares more about personal investment than justice.

The people changed, riots didn't.

From this conversation, I've learned that you don't understand riots. You especially don't understand this one. Because they don't involve, um, American Revolutionaries, Tea Party Activists, Right wing Militias, etc.,  you view them from the faux-outraged position of America's property-obsessed, middle-class-morality. You are a drinker of the respectability cult Kool-Aid. You can't really help this: it is sort of the default way that people that don't understand history react. What is more concerning, however, is that you don't care to help it. No amount of demonstration about how rioting works and its efficacy will change your mind. Some people need to cling on to their ideals about how great this country is.

But just to humor you, here's a start of a solution: 

Pass HR 40 and do what is directed in it

Pass federal law that establishes real oversight of police forces 

Pardon non-violent drug offenders 

End private prisons

Expand current investment in black communities 

This is fairly simple, and none of it involves a blank check to me personally. I am saddened by your sudden animosity towards historians, but not surprised. When faced with the brutal reality of what has actually happened, it's hard to reconcile jingoism. It must be difficult for you. Try plugging your ears, closing your eyes, and screaming "muh institutions" really loudly. It will help.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

I would say that it has way more to do with scaling up the capacity to carry out and sustain the necessary tasks for living. But there is truth to your point, too.

It all depends on the nature of the apocalypse. If it is some event that kills most of the human population, resource-gathering and specialization would be far more valuable. But if the human population was not significantly reduced and resources were limited, violence would be a more important and more frequently practiced part of cooperation.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

38 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

From this conversation, I've learned that you don't understand riots. You especially don't understand this one. Because they don't involve, um, American Revolutionaries, Tea Party Activists, Right wing Militias, etc.,  you view them from the faux-outraged position of America's property-obsessed, middle-class-morality. You are a drinker of the respectability cult Kool-Aid. You can't really help this: it is sort of the default way that people that don't understand history react. What is more concerning, however, is that you don't care to help it. No amount of demonstration about how rioting works and its efficacy will change your mind. Some people need to cling on to their ideals about how great this country is.

But just to humor you, here's a start of a solution: 

Pass HR 40 and do what is directed in it

Pass federal law that establishes real oversight of police forces 

Pardon non-violent drug offenders 

End private prisons

Expand current investment in black communities 

This is fairly simple, and none of it involves a blank check to me personally. I am saddened by your sudden animosity towards historians, but not surprised. When faced with the brutal reality of what has actually happened, it's hard to reconcile jingoism. It must be difficult for you. Try plugging your ears, closing your eyes, and screaming "muh institutions" really loudly. It will help.

I once had a conversation with Lawlor where I compared him to my father. I said they were both too smart for their own good and lacked the empathy, or something, to comprehend messy actions that aren't well thought out and don't consider a perfectly beneficial and efficient outcome. That's my freud of him and he can tell me to go f myself and that's fine.

I agree with Lawlor in that that these riots probably did not need to occur to get that officer charged but as we can see, it wasn't that simple. The officer is charged and we are having another night. Riots don't make perfect sense but they exist and are a part of our sociology.  Attempting to understand and accept the sociology behind them might be better than rejecting them on any logical basis, in my opinion. 

6 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Weak leadership in Washington you say?  :rotflmfao:

The fracture in this country started before Trump and is very real. No leader is going to put the pieces back together for a very long time if ever. After posting on this board for 4-5 years I now fully understand I have very little in common politically with the left. I’m sure the feeling is likewise.

No amount of talking appears to reach any common ground. The more I post the greater the divergence. This thread has been a breaking point for me.  For those I have insulted I apologize. Time to take a temporary break from the OT board. 

3 hours ago, sactowndog said:

has that been proven and the guy arrested.  I'm not doubting it just curious how far along the legal process it is.

There won't be any of that unfortunately. The police department said it wasn't him but offered no evidence or proof. So who will investigate or arrest him? This is gonna stay in the realm of conspiracy theory unfortunately. Do I think it was a police officer? I don't know.... It makes as much sense as anything. The guy was not a regular protestor. I'm not really a conspiracy guy but this is one I buy but I don't think there will ever be anything more come from this. If it really was him the police isn't going to admit it and who else has the power to investigate it. 

What a shit show everything is tonight... We need a leader who can bring people together. And at least attempt to bridge the divide we as a country are feeling.

So in other words we're +++++ed. 

This is what happens when you have a spark that starts a fire and you try to deal with it with kid gloves as if it’s a controlled burn and are oblivious to wind. That allows the fire to get big enough to send sparks far and wide with dry brush just yearning for a spark to go off. These liberal softies can show compassion and love, but also bring in enough national guard to make it hard for the looters without having to use last resort options to protect themselves and others. These looters were basically given permission to do all this shit. And if you think looting and violence is the way to solve problems, then fvck you. 

kat.jpg

He looks very remorseful (/sarcasm).

I just ask my child what he think when he sees this photo. "He looks like he's gonna kill someone." Those were my son's words. My son is eight. He doesn't know about George Floyd. He's oblivious to the the civil unrest currently going on. (That, I am glad about.) I started a conversation about the murder of George Floyd, institutional racism, abuse of power and injustices. Even though my son is part white, I explained that in the eyes of our society, he will always be seen as Mexican/Mexican-Am first...a brown person, because he looks like his dad more. The conversation has started now.

7 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

He looks very remorseful (/sarcasm).

I just ask my child what he think when he sees this photo. "He looks like he's gonna kill someone." Those were my son's words. My son is eight. He doesn't know about George Floyd. He's oblivious to the the civil unrest currently going on. (That, I am glad about.) I started a conversation about the murder of George Floyd, institutional racism, abuse of power and injustices. Even though my son is part white, I explained that in the eyes of our society, he will always be seen as Mexican/Mexican-Aus. m first...a brown person, because he looks like his dad more. The conversation has started now.

You have children??????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Oh dear Jesus. I’ve never seen kids raise their parents before, but this could actually be happening. 

kat.jpg