Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sean327

Nationwide Protest and civil unrest game thread

3 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I'm just fighting ridiculous fire with ridiculous fire. 

The libertarian party needs to build some hind game, some social media game and get going more than a few months out from the election. They need to love in the team world. A guy like Amash could have started running much earlier and would have had a good chance to actually have done some damage. 

You aren’t wrong. That’s my biggest issue with the party. 

4 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

If it was just the precinct I might not say a word, even if I disapprove. Hell, that would be most akin to throwing the tea only overboard, and intentionally leaving everything else in order. But it wasn't.

Riots aren't about controlled, thoughtful, measured, direct responses though. They are an emotional mess.

39 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Agreeing that violence is an effective catalyst for political change isn't agreeing that it is morally justified. Picking at every instance where an act of mass violence was followed by positive political or social change and finding an argument for some ordered institutional process actually being the prime mover seems to indicate something one may want to be true more than something that is actually true. 

I think the underlying assumption in Lawlor's misunderstanding of political change is that institutions operate in a vacuum removed from outside pressures. When the state's monopoly on violence is challenged on a large scale, it is forced to either crack down or compromise to avoid a breakdown in state cohesion. Rioting as political action is perhaps the most impactful and visceral threat to institutional stability, which is why it is so effective in forcing the state to reassess its priorities and processes.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

1 minute ago, NVGiant said:

No, they are not. Unless, we're talking about the death penalty, then it's an eye for an eye. Jesus wasn't talking about the legal construct of marriage, either, which is what the issue of "gay marriage" is all about. Religions, including my own, are free to recognize marriages as they see fit. I don't love it when Christians take 2,000-year-old passages and assign a viewpoint that Jesus would have never conceived of at the time. 

You can disagree.  It doesn't bother me.  There are other passages, but they can equally be debated on what the Greek is referring to.  However, homosexuality was not some unknown thing to Jews in Jesus' time.  If you are going to make some sort of argument around what viewpoint Jesus would possibly hold, you could say that sodomy being sinful was so ubiquitous that he never thought to talk about it.  Either way, I don't spend my time on the porch of my neighbors (who are lesbians) shouting bible verses at them.

7 minutes ago, sean327 said:

^^^This

But waiting 5 days to arrest the murdering bastard allowed for the rioting to start. Had he been arrested the same day he was fired things may have gone different. There is also the problem with Tuesday night’s protest that were peaceful until the cops started chucking CS gas and rubber bullets into the crowd. The police started the escalation. The rest was a reaction to that escalation.

And this was last night when things were still peaceful. 

15 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

The administration of justice has always been about more than case facts and collected evidence: political climate and imperative are almost equally important. Rioting was an important part of the political climate that led to this arrest.

No it wasn't. This arrest would have happened anyway. The political climate had already made it obvious that people who watched this thought a crime occurred. No burning and looting needed.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Just now, thelawlorfaithful said:

No it wasn't. This arrest would have happened anyway. The political climate had already made it obvious that people who watched this thought a crime occurred. No burning and looting needed.

Wait until he gets acquitted.

2 minutes ago, tspoke said:

And this was last night when things were still peaceful. 

Another example of cops believing they can do any damn thing they want. There was absolutely no reason for that shit. 

8 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Christians following the old testament.

ah thank you for clarifying.

mormons have a different view of it than most folks.  the book of mormon time period is more old testament than new by a great deal and it strongly informs how we feel about the written mosaic law and faith -> repentance -> salvation.  i think it's possible that @BYUcougfan (if he'll forgive my mind reading), and this certainly holds true for me, sees mosaic law legacy in a post 'last sacrifice of the Only Begotten' under a different light than most others.

2 hours ago, toonkee said:

Why don't you plead with republicans and the right?

That would also cause Trump to lose, ya know.

I definitely would lean more toward a Libertarian point of view over a Democrat point of view. 

Just now, NVGiant said:

Wait until he gets acquitted.

Shit, I'll send them fireworks to light off as the city burns. But I doubt it. I think everyone's careers rest on putting this cop away and the case is airtight. That's why we got third degree and manslaughter, when at the very least second degree seems reasonable. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

13 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Riots aren't about controlled, thoughtful, measured, direct responses though. They are an emotional mess.

True, which is why I don't like them.

4 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Tell that to the family of Philandro Castillo his murderer was only charged with manslaughter and discharging a weapon and was acquitted. This rage has been simmering for a while. I don't know that you can say for certain it wouldn't have happened without the reaction of the public. protests /riots.

13 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I disagree. I cite all of the thousands of illegal chokeholds that were not met by rioting, and were not prosecuted as evidence of a correlation between the two.

Now, correlation does not necassarily equal causation, but if you add the weight of history and cite the numerous political causes that were aided by rioting, it becomes very clear.

Your belief in the supposed inherent goodness and benevolent self-regulation of institutions is blinding you to the real affect direct political action has on their operation.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

8 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Shit, I'll send them fireworks to light off as the city burns. But I doubt it. I think everyone's careers rest on putting this cop away and the case is airtight. That's why we got third degree and manslaughter, when at the very least second degree seems reasonable. 

Maybe these are fireworks owed. ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/16/us/police-shooting-trial-philando-castile.html

I don't think anyone here loves riots and looting but I'm also not gonna spend much energy condoning it while their concerns are not being addressed. 

Also I'm just exhausted, exhausted of all the bullshit. So part of me is like +++++ it burn it all down. And I'm a privileged white guy far removed from these things. I can't even begin to image the feelings of the people that are directly involved and deal with everyday. 

5 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

True, which is why I don't like them.

Well, rioters don't like abusive cops and police brutality is almost always emotion based, so here we are.