Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coog kev

FBS programs not playing FCS in 2020

Morning.  Of the 130 FBS squads, only 18 are not playing a FCS in 2020.

It's a diverse lot, these 18.. esp.including Boise and UNLV.  You will not find an SEC or ACC squad on the list (I thoroughly understand SEC's position).

Looking forward to future schedules, Boise is already full for OOC to 2023 sans FCS and I think they can stay that way for a loooong while if Boise so chooses.

IIRC, my Coogs announced a few years back that we won't schedule FCS unless we have to.  To boot, our future OOC doesn't really go east much at all.  It's actually western dominated with Washington State, Boise, BYU, Utah, and Colorado (Texas squads in there of course and a Kansas gig).  We also do not do Two for One deals with anyone and we ditched @ 'pay day' one-time deals long ago.  We don't mind moving a homey to the NFL stadium as a regular 1-1 series (Oklahoma and Washington State of late); the finances are probably better that way for us given the opponent.

Super props to Boise for bringing Florida State in da house this year...and UNLV hosting up both Cal and Arizona State at new digs, Allegiant...Coogs need to do a homey/homey with Rebs!

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

10 minutes ago, Coog kev said:

It's a diverse lot, these 18.. esp.including Boise and UNLV.  You will not find an SEC or ACC squad on the list (I thoroughly understand SEC's position).

Looking forward to future schedules, Boise is already full for OOC to 2023 sans FCS and I think they can stay that way for a loooong while if Boise so chooses.

IIRC, my Coogs announced a few years back that we won't schedule FCS unless we have to.  To boot, our future OOC doesn't really go east much at all.  It's actually western dominated with Washington State, Boise, BYU, Utah, and Colorado (Texas squads in there of course and a Kansas gig).  We also do not do Two for One deals with anyone and we ditched @ 'pay day' one-time deals long ago.  We don't mind moving a homey to the NFL stadium as a regular 1-1 series (Oklahoma and Washington State of late); the finances are probably better that way for us given the opponent.

Super props to Boise for bringing Florida State in da house this year...and UNLV hosting up both Cal and Arizona State at new digs, Allegiant...Coogs need to do a homey/homey with Rebs!

Have you looked at the rest of Boise's OOC schedule? Don't just look at a single game. CSU has a vastly superior schedule to Boise's and still plays an FCS opponent, as an example. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Thx, mad.  I checked it out re Colorado State's future OOC.  We both have Vanderbilt, Texas Tech, Colorado, and Washington State.  I disagree with CSU future OOC being more stout than Boise though..

I was limiting the topic to the 18 FBS mentioned in the thread title...but let's blow it open. 

55 minutes ago, Coog kev said:

Yeah don't call us, we'll call you

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

1 hour ago, madmartigan said:

Have you looked at the rest of Boise's OOC schedule? Don't just look at a single game. CSU has a vastly superior schedule to Boise's and still plays an FCS opponent, as an example. 

Fake news.  Based on last year's Sagarin rankings:

CSU Non-conference: #63, at #57, #205, at #110

Boise Non-Conference: #92, #56, at #84, and vs. #67

---

Northern Colorado and Vanderbilt are worse than any team Boise plays non-conference, and Florida State is better than anybody CSU plays.

2 hours ago, madmartigan said:

I mean, if you are retarded you would believe that.  The two G5 teams Boise is playing are better teams than the P5 teams CSU is playing.  And BYU.

1 hour ago, Rebels18 said:

Yeah don't call us, we'll call you

Well that's disappointing. UNLV took a one-off game at UH campus to replace a FCS drop out last minute not too many years ago. And thank you much for that...seriously.  That year both of us had last minute holes to fill one time only. 

Hopefully you do not speak for the rest of UNLV.  Who wouldn't love a homey/homey in Vegas?  You tell me. 

In NOW news, we were right in the middle of 2-game roadie baseball gig @ UNLV when baseball got shut down March 11.  Won the first one 3-1...:D

2 hours ago, madmartigan said:

Quiet you. That's a different discussion, and one you've already made a thread on. He was specific of what his focus was in the title and the content

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Fake news.  Based on last year's Sagarin rankings:

CSU Non-conference: #63, at #57, #205, at #110

Boise Non-Conference: #92, #56, at #84, and vs. #67

---

Northern Colorado and Vanderbilt are worse than any team Boise plays non-conference, and Florida State is better than anybody CSU plays.

What about THIS years Sagarin? When does that come out? FSU isn't any good either. It's also about perception. Is it better to play 3 P5s and one FCS or to play 3 Mid Majors (1 sun belt, 1 CUSA, 1 indy) and 1 P5? A question for the philosophers I suppose. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

1 minute ago, madmartigan said:

What about THIS years Sagarin? When does that come out? FSU isn't any good either. It's also about perception. Is it better to play 3 P5s and one FCS or to play 3 Mid Majors and 1 P5? A question for the philosophers I suppose. 

I think Norvell will have Florida State improved.  App State just lost their coach (former Boise OC Drinkwitz) so Georgia Southern will probably be favored to win the SunBelt East.  Marshall will also likely be favored to win the CUSA-East - with the top team in their division losing it's head coach as well (Kiffin at FAU - replaced by Taggart).  BYU is tough to say but I still think they'll be better than Vanderbilt, Oregon State, and Colorado this year. 

Florida State just swiped Norvell outta Memphis.  I'll leave it up to our fellow good dude, Memphis man, to chime in about that.  To boot Memphis is ranked #23 in the CBS Sports Top25 for early 2020 sans Norvell..goes to the depth of the program at Memphis. 

Boise v Florida State is brand v. brand. 

Colorado State cannot say that.  University of Houston cannot say that. 

It's a Brand v Brand game.

2 hours ago, Coog kev said:

Florida State just swiped Norvell outta Memphis.  I'll leave it up to our fellow good dude, Memphis man, to chime in about that.  To boot Memphis is ranked #23 in the CBS Sports Top25 for early 2020 sans Norvell..goes to the depth of the program at Memphis. 

Boise v Florida State is brand v. brand. 

Colorado State cannot say that.  University of Houston cannot say that. 

It's a Brand v Brand game.

Norvell will do well but it'll take some time as the AAC isn't the same as the ACC...he'll get em there, though.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

6 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I mean, if you are retarded you would believe that.  The two G5 teams Boise is playing are better teams than the P5 teams CSU is playing.  And BYU.

I think the OOC schedules works for both teams in their own ways. CSU is coming off of a losing season, so a couple wins vs P5 teams (even P5 dregs) would really be a boost for the program. On the other hand, it’s impressive that a program the caliber of FSU is traveling to Boise. I really hope the season happens and with fans in the stands.