Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

8 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Legitimate and necessary are not one in the same.  Denying a legitimate treatment when their is a medical consensus other treatments are also legitimate does not violate the 8th.  Body dysmorphia is also a real medical condition.  I woman with larger than normal tits will think she flat and a legitimate medical treatment for that will be to raise her breast size a cup.  Does that mean it is medically necessary? Not the perfect analogy but I am responding fast.

fair point, but I am saying that the procedure would be both legitimate and necessary. I guess something that is necessary is legitimate by definition. So, redundancies.

I'm going to bed. +++++ you.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

5 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I put "largely" as a hedge. I believe "always" but am also aware that my stance on the prison system in general is an outlier. But I am also not a prison abolitionist, so at the end of the day it's my cross to bear. 

Everything you wrote here is reasonable and I don't necessarily disagree. Especially the three points you made at the end... I would agree with all three of those, wholeheartedly.

Add this to the list of conversations between us that started with us being dicks to each other and ended with you making a good point.

Much love my friend.  Get some sleep.  I am heading out of town tomorrow on my first backpacking trip of the year so will be gone for a bit.  Keep em in line for me.