Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dshawfan

SD City Council to review Stadium Agreement 5/29

Just now, AztecSU said:

@SDSUfan you ready to stop being wrong about everything yet?

LOL

Livin' rent free in your head.

BUT.  I'm big enough to admit  that I never thought it would get this far and I congratulate to university on their success. They lied their asses off and won.  Maybe that's what it takes to get things done in this town.

You'll be dead and in the grave before any student ever attends a class, lecture or partakes any activity remotely considered and intellectual pursuit on the SDSU West "Campus"

In the mean time, git er done. Anything on that eyesore of a site is better than what's there now.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

2 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

LOL

BUT.  I'm big enough to admit  that I never thought it would get this far and I congratulate to university on their success. They lied their asses off and won.  Maybe that's what it takes to get things done in this town.

You'll be dead and in the grave before any student ever attends a class, lecture or partakes any activity remotely considered and intellectual pursuit on the SDSU West "Campus"

In the mean time, git er done. Anything on that eyesore of a site is better than what's there now.

LMAO, so you're still talking out of your ass. You see, dummies never learn.

“San Diego City Council has unanimously approved sale of Mission Valley land to @SDSU. Two more votes to come in June for final approval. Escrow expected to close in late July. School officials hope to break ground in August on new @SDSUFootball stadium targeted for 2022 season.” 

- Kirk Kenny San Diego Union Tribune

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

22 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

LOL

One would think that these meetings would be full of SD taxpayers demanding the same deal that SUDS/CSU is getting.

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

On 5/24/2020 at 12:13 PM, Fowl said:

This decision by the city council will be about saving money, not spending it.  The city is counting on the proceeds from the sale to fill a huge gap in their budget for next year.  If they don't approve the sale then they will have a significant funding gap and will still be on the hook for millions in ongoing maintenance costs annually.  They are incented to get the sale done.

The funding for the building of the stadium is coming from donations and borrowings that have already been approved by the CSU.  Once escrow closes on the sale of the land, construction on the new stadium will begin as demo and ground work crews have already been hired.  Right now it is scheduled to open for our opener against Arizona in September 2022.  I bet that it gets delayed somehow so I'm betting it opens in September 2023. 

Are you still in this camp, or has the tenative agreement changed your thoughts on date of opening?

6 hours ago, dshawfan said:

Are you still in this camp, or has the tenative agreement changed your thoughts on date of opening?

It’s my understanding that we need to close the sale quickly (by August) to have the ability to get the stadium built by 2022. I’m no expert on construction but two years seems like an aggressive target to hit when you have a bunch of subcontractors, covid still lingering around, and dealing with The city on permitting, etc. I hope it gets done by 2022 but I’d bet that something slows it down and pushes it out a year. 

8 hours ago, Fowl said:

It’s my understanding that we need to close the sale quickly (by August) to have the ability to get the stadium built by 2022. I’m no expert on construction but two years seems like an aggressive target to hit when you have a bunch of subcontractors, covid still lingering around, and dealing with The city on permitting, etc. I hope it gets done by 2022 but I’d bet that something slows it down and pushes it out a year. 

Plenty of time.  Canvas Stadium was 27 months, but they had to deal with weather, too.  TCU imploded Amon Carter Stadium December 2010, and the new digs were ready by Opening Day 2012.  Houston built theirs in roughly the same timeframe.  It's not like y'all are building a multi-billion dollar palace.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

12 hours ago, Fowl said:

You bring up some valid concerns, but having worked for a large GC for several years; they can get a lot done in 2 years. My biggest concern is getting that first shovel in the dirt. 

1 hour ago, RSF said:

Plenty of time.  Canvas Stadium was 27 months, but they had to deal with weather, too.  TCU imploded Amon Carter Stadium December 2010, and the new digs were ready by Opening Day 2012.  Houston built theirs in roughly the same timeframe.  It's not like y'all are building a multi-billion dollar palace.

As long as they break ground by September and do not experience significant delays after that point the stadium should be ready for 2022. Looks at CFB stadiums of similar size in the last 10+ years and the answer is right there. Also weather is not an issue in the winter. 

8 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

As long as they break ground by September and do not experience significant delays after that point the stadium should be ready for 2022. Looks at CFB stadiums of similar size in the last 10+ years and the answer is right there. Also weather is not an issue in the winter. 

Heck, in 2011, TCU played all their games in the middle of a construction zone.  Not saying SDSU can or should do the same (I'm not familiar with the geography of the project), but its an option.

Although it is also the (public) reason the TCU/Boise game was in Boise.  A little parting gift for TCU on the way out.  :P

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.