Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dshawfan

SD City Council to review Stadium Agreement 5/29

9 hours ago, dshawfan said:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/story/2020-05-21/sdsu-mission-valley-deal-headed-to-city-council-at-the-end-of-this-month

If City Council approves the document, the sale of the site could close by 7/22/20.

Of course this is SD where if it’s possible to screw something up our pols will find a way to accomplish it. 

So assuming that this doesn't get derailed by a mouse, snail, or some activist, when do you foresee an active stadium in place?

I have absolute faith on the City Father's of Sandy Eggo fecking this up. 

Just like they did with the Chargers and the Qualcomm naming rights boondoggke.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Would Spaztec fans travel to Carson or Tijuana for home games ?

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sports-columnists/story/2020-05-23/canepa-headline-goes-here

I have one word, one geographical location for J.D. Wicker to keep in his fertile mind as he scans the arid regional stadium landscape: Tijuana.

If things don’t work out with City Hall in the current, voter-approved SDSU campus/stadium expansion in the valley, J.D. says he will be looking elsewhere — possibly even the 27,000-seat Carson venue the Judases/L.A. Lodgers so modestly occupied — before renewing his SDCCU lease following this year.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

41 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

Good luck if you are depending on politicians making a decision to spend money right now.  Everything involving spending new money is going to be frozen for a few years. 

This decision by the city council will be about saving money, not spending it.  The city is counting on the proceeds from the sale to fill a huge gap in their budget for next year.  If they don't approve the sale then they will have a significant funding gap and will still be on the hook for millions in ongoing maintenance costs annually.  They are incented to get the sale done.

The funding for the building of the stadium is coming from donations and borrowings that have already been approved by the CSU.  Once escrow closes on the sale of the land, construction on the new stadium will begin as demo and ground work crews have already been hired.  Right now it is scheduled to open for our opener against Arizona in September 2022.  I bet that it gets delayed somehow so I'm betting it opens in September 2023. 

49 minutes ago, Fowl said:

This decision by the city council will be about saving money, not spending it.  The city is counting on the proceeds from the sale to fill a huge gap in their budget for next year.  If they don't approve the sale then they will have a significant funding gap and will still be on the hook for millions in ongoing maintenance costs annually.  They are incented to get the sale done.

The funding for the building of the stadium is coming from donations and borrowings that have already been approved by the CSU.  Once escrow closes on the sale of the land, construction on the new stadium will begin as demo and ground work crews have already been hired.  Right now it is scheduled to open for our opener against Arizona in September 2022.  I bet that it gets delayed somehow so I'm betting it opens in September 2023. 

Ok that the land-sale is one thing, but the project is estimated to cost $310 million....from bonds that expected to be paid from revenue from ticket sales/concessions/stores/hotels ,etc....Good lucky getting Newsom and other COVID-19 hysterics to back that-up. My guess is this gets put on the back-burner till 2021. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

16 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

tough time to approve a stadium during big rona'  in Cali

Yeah big rona, 3,800 deaths out of 39 million people....f’n joke. The mortality rate in my county, which I here is the highest in the State,  is eight thousandths of 1%. 🙄

2 minutes ago, dshawfan said:

Yeah big rona, 3,800 deaths out of 39 million people....f’n joke. The mortality rate in my county, which I here is the highest in the State,  is eight thousandths of 1%. 🙄

yeah no kidding, but that's not stopping states like Cali from treating it like its the black plague and halting economic projects like this one 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

On 5/24/2020 at 2:13 PM, Fowl said:

Sounds like you guys are using the same firms as CSU did. I wouldn’t plan on delays once they hit the job site.   Those guys are impressive to watch, and they get it done.   

Get the green light and then start arranging your calendars for football. 

Funding anything right now is shaky. Keep in mind the state already has a big debt and tax revenue is going to take a huge hit from so many unemployed from the Cvirus. The positive news is Cali like the federal government doesn’t seem too worried about increased spending despite the debt. 

18 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Funding anything right now is shaky. Keep in mind the state already has a big debt and tax revenue is going to take a huge hit from so many unemployed from the Cvirus. The positive news is Cali like the federal government doesn’t seem too worried about increased spending despite the debt. 

Interest rates are as low as it will be

CSU's bond rating is as high as it will be

A stadium will need to be built no matter what

The city doesn't want to keep spending a million a month on the stadium site

Fear can make a boon for the city and for SDSU disappear, a lost opportunity that may never happen again

2 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Interest rates are as low as it will be

CSU's bond rating is as high as it will be

A stadium will need to be built no matter what

The city doesn't want to keep spending a million a month on the stadium site

Fear can make a boon for the city and for SDSU disappear, a lost opportunity that may never happen again

Didn’t Cali just cut education by $19 billion? Hard to justify a new football stadium when education just took a big hit. 

7 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Didn’t Cali just cut education by $19 billion? Hard to justify a new football stadium when education just took a big hit. 

The stadium is bonds and donations.  Not a Brinks truck of cash.  There is risk with any bond issuance but CSU is leveraging, not paying, for anything as of now.  

I think the timeframe of paying the debt service will be much longer than this sheltering timeline.  Hard to justify killing a deal and potentially a football program over fear that it won't recoup costs over thirty years because of a virus that will last one.