Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

More Suicides than Coronavirus Deaths in this CA city

6 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

Last updated on May 21, 2020

TOTAL CASES1,551,09522,860 New Cases*
TOTAL DEATHS93,0611,397 New Deaths*
  • *Compared to yesterday's data
  • About

That's a death rate of 5.99 %.

I'll stick with CDC data thank you.

Yes, Covid-19 does impact the elderly and those with underlying conditions the most. People like my wife.

But, hey we're elderly and are a burden on the system anyway. Sucking up SSN, Medicare, and whatever other entitlements Uncle Sam wants to suck out of your paychecks.

Hey, what the hell, let this thing rip through America. It is probably God's and Donald Trump's Will that we eliminate those sucking off the government teet.

Mug has already addressed your misunderstanding of the numbers.

As for your personal situation, it sounds like you have the financial resources to quarantine yourself and your family. You should do that. The smart way forward is to increase protection at nursing and similar facilities, people with health risks should isolate / quarantine at home. Anybody else who can financially afford to and wants to stay at home, should stay at home. It's a free country. The rest of the country should get on with life, no collecting unemployment if your employer calls you back to work. Take responsibility, do things to protect yourself the best you can, but get out there and enjoy life. Be sure to frequent local businesses, they could really use the help right now. Quarantining the healthy is asinine.

110926run_defense710.jpg

7 hours ago, mugtang said:

https://abc7news.com/amp/suicide-covid-19-rates-during-pandemic-coronavirus-death-by/6201962/?__twitter_impression=true

"Personally I think it's time," said Dr. Mike deBoisblanc. "I think, originally, this (the shelter-in-place order) was put in place to flatten the curve and to make sure hospitals have the resources to take care of COVID patients.We have the current resources to do that and our other community health is suffering."

Is it time to lift all the lockdowns?

I agree with his personal assessment. The data is all over the place, but most is showing the virus to be pretty damn contagious, so there is no real way to stop the spread only to slow it down.

The lockdowns did what they needed to. They stopped the healthcare system from being overrun. Anecdotal, but my patient load got nuts for a awhile, but it's relaxed a ton recently. My gf in the ER has had similar experiences.

If the numbers start jumping again, then maybe tighten some lockdowns in those higher risk counties. But I feel we did the correct thing at the beginning to prevent NY/Italy/Wuhan all over the country and we can now slowly open to address other areas of the population's health and wellness.

5 hours ago, Akkula said:

The virus has KILLED 100,000 Americans so far.   That is WITH all the restrictions you hate so much.   Imagine what would have happened with no restrictions.   We may have already eclipsed the Spanish flu deaths.  How about instead of Trump lamenting the stay at home orders he spends time putting in hard work to get testing and contact tracing in place so people can return to work.  Imagine if Trump would have put in the hard work to do this in February..we would be open.   Instead of implementing a strenuous strategy,  he chases silver bullets and miracle cures.   There will not be an easy way to reopen without testing and tracing.  We all wondered when Trump would be tested... for the first the years he could manage by tweet and only plan for the next news cycle and the bureaucracy would largely still hold things together.  He now has a real crisis on his hands with no easy answer and his usual distractions aren't saving him. 

The whole point of the lockdowns was to flatten the curve.  We’ve done that.  Now the goal posts have been moved to save every life.  That’s not reasonable and these lockdowns aren’t sustainable. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

9 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

To all board members, study the Spanish Flu epidemic. Please 

Stay at home orders, social distancing, and everything else we are going through does bite. However, a World at War that was not informed of the pandemic, coupled with denial, a reluctance to social distance and other measures to prevent the spread of that flu led to far more deaths than necessary. 

Forty to One Hundred million people died of the Spanish Flu. Far more than died in WW1. In America alone, 675,000 died. More than all the American war deaths in the 20th Century combined.

The death rates for Covid and the Spanish Flu are similiar. About 6%. Death rates for the common flu are about .1%. This will not go away until a vaccine is discovered and marketed. A vaccine for the Spanish Flu was not worked out until 1940. Only essential government personnel and the military were provided the vaccine in WW2. It was not made widely available to the public until after WW2.

The biggest difference between the two was the Spanish Flu killed far more people in their 20's than it did the elderly or other at risk groups.

Going back to normal may help economic recovery and mental health, but it will cause the Covid to spread faster and wider than it is now.

The mitigation of the disease is causing more damage than the actual disease. It is time to open up 

6 hours ago, Akkula said:

The virus has KILLED 100,000 Americans so far.   That is WITH all the restrictions you hate so much.   Imagine what would have happened with no restrictions.   We may have already eclipsed the Spanish flu deaths.  How about instead of Trump lamenting the stay at home orders he spends time putting in hard work to get testing and contact tracing in place so people can return to work.  Imagine if Trump would have put in the hard work to do this in February..we would be open.   Instead of implementing a strenuous strategy,  he chases silver bullets and miracle cures.   There will not be an easy way to reopen without testing and tracing.  We all wondered when Trump would be tested... for the first the years he could manage by tweet and only plan for the next news cycle and the bureaucracy would largely still hold things together.  He now has a real crisis on his hands with no easy answer and his usual distractions aren't saving him. 

98% of people that get this virus recover, a large majority of those never need hospitalization, and a good portion never even knew they had it. It is time to open up. 

For every percentage point unemployment rises, there are approximately 40,000 related deaths. Chew on that for a bit. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03kpvk2

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

I feel for the folks still under the lock downs.  I am not as concerned about it now because my state, Utah, is nearly completely open, but with some social distancing rules.  We have been open since May 1st and there have been no spikes.  For now, the numbers have trended down.  Most other states that have opened have also seen their numbers trend down.  I know that is not the result some were hoping for.  There are some that are so invested in Covid = Plague (or maybe they are just invested in obey) that they seem upset or disappointed when the numbers don't spike.  At some point, you have to let more than just one science discipline (epidemiology) inform decisions.

8 hours ago, mugtang said:

Right. I get that. But those are only confirmed cases and almost all of those were symptomatic.  The antibody tests show more people in New York were infected with Covid-19 than there are confirmed cases in the United States.  I think most reasonable people would agree that the death rate from the CDC data of 5.9% is more likely than not significantly overstated. 

As for the rest of your comment :rolleyes:

It is demonstrably not a 5.9% death rate.  It is a fraction of that.

6 minutes ago, tspoke said:

I'd like to see some numbers that there has been an increase in suicides by 100,000 in this country since March.

Suicides are terrible, no doubt about that. The other big problems are the longer term effects of this self imposed recession: higher levels of depression, anxiety, which make worse chronic health diseases many Americans suffer from and lead to death. Those chanting "we're all in this together" for the most part haven't lost their livelihoods to the virus. The high risk among us should lock down and self quarantine. No reason for the rest of the population to do the same. I have a massive package. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

20 minutes ago, tspoke said:

I'd like to see some numbers that there has been an increase in suicides by 100,000 in this country since March.

Yeah, the claim of suicides outnumbering Covid deaths is silly and completely unsupportable at anything other than a small anecdotal scale.

v0icAvfW.jpg

23 minutes ago, tspoke said:

2 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Yeah, the claim of suicides outnumbering Covid deaths is silly and completely unsupportable at anything other than a small anecdotal scale.

You’re right. My thread title was unintentionally deceptive.  I’ve corrected it. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I never thought I'd say this: I'm fairly proud of how well Utah has managed this whole thing. OK, now I have to go eat myself into a coma. 

22 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

Suicides are terrible, no doubt about that. The other big problems are the longer term effects of this self imposed recession: higher levels of depression, anxiety, which make worse chronic health diseases many Americans suffer from and lead to death. Those chanting "we're all in this together" for the most part haven't lost their livelihoods to the virus. The high risk among us should lock down and self quarantine. No reason for the rest of the population to do the same. I have a massive package. 

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

12 minutes ago, mugtang said:

You’re right. My thread title was unintentionally deceptive.  I’ve corrected it. 

It should be pointed out that this CA city is in one of the counties in the country that has seen the longest and most draconian house arrests orders. i believe Contra Costa County was one of the Bay Area six that issued the first hurricane/Tsunami shelter-in-place order. On one hand, that can support the argument that the fact that this city saw so few deaths is related to the strict restrictions on human connections, commerced and movement. On the other, it definitely supports the argument that there are costs to those restrictions - especially when they are indefinite. The state has created a crisis to try and avert a crisis. It's a balancing act as to minimizing the total amount of crisises or crises or however you spell the plural version. It's nice to actually see some health professionals publicly accept this, as they are often not very willing to do that in my experience. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Said this a week or so ago; I think governments need to start planning on how to mitigate the spread without shelter in place orders on the books. Humans gonna human, and humans don’t want to be locked up forever. 

4 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Said this a week or so ago; I think governments need to start planning on how to mitigate the spread without shelter in place orders on the books. Humans gonna human, and humans don’t want to be locked up forever. 

Very reasonable take. We have to accept the possibility or high probability that we will all get Corona virus. This is one we will be living with until a viable treatment option comes out. 

But isn't everywhere beginning to open up. I read that every state has begun loosening restrictions by this weekend. So I  don't know what the argument is? We aren't opening up fast enough? I think we need to continue to open up but slowly in phases. I think we are going about it the right way. Especially what I am seeing around me. Can't speak as much for elsewhere.