Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fbpack

Let the rebuild begin Jalen Harris staying in draft

6 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

He wasn't fired for anything that had to do with cheating..that was all political with Steve Wynn/Robert Maxson..the NCAA's allegations were nothing but an excuse to oust Tark, you don't know wtf you're talking about.  I already explained why Tark was hounded/on constant probation by the NCAA and why his fight against them is vindicated to his day as I gave several concrete examples. 

Again, Tark sued the NCAA and won/settled in his favor-- and he never had a single win vacated at UNLV as a result of NCAA's many over-zealous and (illegal in the case of wire tapping and hidden camera) fueled investigations. I call that innocent until proven guilty. We're in agreement that UNLV lost its greatness after Tark...but atleast they made their mark in history. Not just the Final Fours and National Championship, but Tark calling out the NCAA's selective enforcement in favor of the modern P5 schools. Tark should be the hero of every G5 school because he's the only one that had the balls to speak-out against that injustice and sacrificed his legacy and career to do so. We can atleast find common ground in this debate and admit he was right all-along. 

Let's talk more about how the internet makes it more difficult to cheat...LOL do me a favor and just read the opening paragraph of this:  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/13/sports/unc-north-carolina-ncaa.html

FACT: Tark LOST one of the single most important cases in NCAA history that validated the NCAA’s ability to govern its organization without due process. It settled wTark, because it’s was cheaper for the NCAA than it is to continue to fight AFTER it had the judgement it needed. How come you don’t ever argue those FACTS?

FACT: And had that case not taken 2 decades to work itself to the Supreme Court, Tark would have been suspended years earlier. The NCAA is failure as an organization because it’s supposed to be self-governing. Of course when you skirt rules, recruiting kids who can’t read and arguing the victim card you don’t care. 

Player’s who don’t even have high school diplomas would have ZERO chance of getting into Vegas these days. The NCAA finally started to monitor grad rates at every school. Kids have to take certain classes to qualify for the clearing house. Tark’s model is defunct. 

25 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

FACT: Tark LOST one of the single most important cases in NCAA history that validated the NCAA’s ability to govern its organization without due process. It settled wTark, because it’s was cheaper for the NCAA than it is to continue to fight AFTER it had the judgement it needed. How come you don’t ever argue those FACTS?

FACT: And had that case not taken 2 decades to work itself to the Supreme Court, Tark would have been suspended years earlier. The NCAA is failure as an organization because it’s supposed to be self-governing. Of course when you skirt rules, recruiting kids who can’t read and arguing the victim card you don’t care. 

Player’s who don’t even have high school diplomas would have ZERO chance of getting into Vegas these days. The NCAA finally started to monitor grad rates at every school. Kids have to take certain classes to qualify for the clearing house. Tark’s model is defunct. 

still not gonna comment on that article Mr. Internet prevents cheating? LOL

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

1 hour ago, NevadaFan said:

This is dumb.  What Tark and UNLV are remembered for by everybody I have ever talked to are two things.  Dominance and getting screwed by the NCAA.

2 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

You're high if you think anything has changed.  The cheating is so blatant now that the NCAA knows its happening and allows it (because it helps their bottom line), that's why Duke for instance, has been outed numerous times, but yet never been penalized.  I'd even go as far as saying that every school cheats, probably always have, some are just better at it than others, a lot better.

The reason UNLV has been a disaster since Tark left is because of piss poor administrations that don't understand how important basketball is to the school, ego maniac boosters don't help the situation either.  It has nothing to do with cheating or not cheating.  Lon Kruger was leading us in the right direction and there's no reason we can't get back.

10 minutes ago, Amaru523 said:

You're high if you think anything has changed.  The cheating is so blatant now that the NCAA knows its happening and allows it (because it helps their bottom line), that's why Duke for instance, has been outed numerous times, but yet never been penalized.  I'd even go as far as saying that every school cheats, probably always have, some are just better at it than others, a lot better.

The reason UNLV has been a disaster since Tark left is because of piss poor administrations that don't understand how important basketball is to the school, ego maniac boosters don't help the situation either.  It has nothing to do with cheating or not cheating.  Lon Kruger was leading us in the right direction and there's no reason we can't get back.

Your last sentence says it all. Lon Kruger WAS but he's at Oklahoma....wonder why....

2 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Not what I said. But whatever. Facts are a bitter pill for Vegas fans. 

lol why do you put FACT infront of every sentence like that gives you anymore credibility?

you just sound like an even weirder dwight shrute

image.png.abfef0021d2e60b4591a0f66f067cab2.png

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

12 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

lol why do you put FACT infront of every sentence like that gives you anymore credibility?

you just sound like an even weirder dwight shrute

image.png.abfef0021d2e60b4591a0f66f067cab2.png

To get under your thin skin. And to call out Vegas for what it was and why it won under Tark. It straight up recruited kids who had no business being in college. 

2 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

To get under your thin skin. And to call out Vegas for what it was and why it won under Tark. It straight up recruited kids who had no business being in college. 

Dave Rice was a Rhodes Scholar candidate.  Jackie Robinson has gone on to be a successful businessman.  Stacey Cvijanovich has gone on to be successful in hotel administration.  GTFOH outta here with your bullshit!

14 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Your last sentence says it all. Lon Kruger WAS but he's at Oklahoma....wonder why....

I explained why...........piss poor administration and ego maniac boosters.

1 hour ago, NevadaFan said:

Again, another ridiculous statement.  50% (I'm probably low balling) of college athletes in basketball and football have no business being in college. That wasn't a Tark thing, its a college athletics thing. 

18 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

He wasn't fired for anything that had to do with cheating..that was all political with Steve Wynn/Robert Maxson..the NCAA's allegations were nothing but an excuse to oust Tark, you don't know wtf you're talking about.  I already explained why Tark was hounded/on constant probation by the NCAA and why his fight against them is vindicated to his day as I gave several concrete examples. 

Again, Tark sued the NCAA and won/settled in his favor-- and he never had a single win vacated at UNLV as a result of NCAA's many over-zealous and (illegal in the case of wire tapping and hidden camera) fueled investigations. I call that innocent until proven guilty. We're in agreement that UNLV lost its greatness after Tark...but atleast they made their mark in history. Not just the Final Fours and National Championship, but Tark calling out the NCAA's selective enforcement in favor of the modern P5 schools. Tark should be the hero of every G5 school because he's the only one that had the balls to speak-out against that injustice and sacrificed his legacy and career to do so. We can atleast find common ground in this debate and admit he was right all-along. 

Let's talk more about how the internet makes it more difficult to cheat...LOL do me a favor and just read the opening paragraph of this:  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/13/sports/unc-north-carolina-ncaa.html

Yes, yes, we're all very aware that Lord Jerry was pure as the driven snow.

I liked Tark. I thought his stretch at UNLV was really fun.  He had great teams, outstanding players.  Nevada only shared a conference with UNLV for a couple of years in the 70's so we only played them once a year for a long time. Tark was always respectful towards the Pack and never tried to get out of games against them.  He was great for UNLV but he resigned 28 years ago.

Since then UNLV has been a totally pedestrian mid major with 8 NCAA appearances.  Successful coaches like Tark are rare so it is unlikely mid major UNLV will experience a run like that again.  We all want to think the school we root for is special and UNLV basketball under Tark was very special indeed.  However, that does not mean it will happen again in Vegas.   

4 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Buddy, out of all the things to hang over Tark's head, you're gonna continue to go after him for recruiting kids who "had no business being in college"?  What gives a loser like you the right to judge on which kids have the right to go to college? You f*cking racist piece of shit. We all know where Tark had an eye for talent, and it wasn't preppy white boys like Christian Laettner. 

What a piece of garbage Tark was for going after troubled inner-city kids who no risk-adverse colleges would touch with a 10-foot pole because they made mistakes. Giving them a second chance to get off the streets, away from drugs and use their god-given talents to get a college education and have a future. Did some of his recruits like Lloyd Daniels squander that opportunity? Yes. But the other 99% of his players looked up to Tark as the only father-figure they ever had for giving them a shot and grew up to be model citizens as husbands, fathers, coaches, small businessmen, you name it.--and the reason why during Tark's Memorial you had a 100+ 6'5+ black guys bawling like babies is because they loved him and would run through walls for him. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

1 hour ago, Rebels18 said:

Buddy, out of all the things to hang over Tark's head, you're gonna continue to go after him for recruiting kids who "had no business being in college"?  What gives a loser like you the right to judge on which kids have the right to go to college? You f*cking racist piece of shit. We all know where Tark had an eye for talent, and it wasn't preppy white boys like Christian Laettner. 

What a piece of garbage Tark was for going after troubled inner-city kids who no risk-adverse colleges would touch with a 10-foot pole because they made mistakes. Giving them a second chance to get off the streets, away from drugs and use their god-given talents to get a college education and have a future. Did some of his recruits like Lloyd Daniels squander that opportunity? Yes. But the other 99% of his players looked up to Tark as the only father-figure they ever had for giving them a shot and grew up to be model citizens as husbands, fathers, coaches, small businessmen, you name it.--and the reason why during Tark's Memorial you had a 100+ 6'5+ black guys bawling like babies is because they loved him and would run through walls for him. 

Oh. Now I’m racist because TARK broke rules. 😂😂 You start an argument and then when confronted with FACTS start calling me names. That’s fine. It’s all there to read.

I didn’t say Tark was a bad person. I didn’t say his players didn’t love him. He is probably the best coach in the history the game. But let’s be real... He didn’t recruit just needy kids. He recruited needy kids WHO COULD PLAY BASKETBALL AT AN ELITE LEVEL. You are conflating two different arguments. 

12 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Oh. Now I’m racist because TARK broke rules. 😂😂 You start an argument and then when confronted with FACTS start calling me names. That’s fine. It’s all there to read.

I didn’t say Tark was a bad person. I didn’t say his players didn’t love him. He is probably the best coach in the history the game. But let’s be real... He didn’t recruit just needy kids. He recruited needy kids WHO COULD PLAY BASKETBALL AT AN ELITE LEVEL. You are conflating two different arguments. 

I never said Tark didn't bend the rules, he and every other coach that wasn't in last place did. I didn't say he recruited just "needy" kids either. My exactly phrasing was "Tark was for going after troubled inner-city kids who no risk-adverse colleges would touch with a 10-foot pole because they made mistakes. Giving them a second chance to get off the streets, away from drugs and use their god-given talents to get a college education and have a future." -- He's a basketball coach. You don't have to tell me he needed to recruit kids who could play basketball. lol. What are you even arguing about at this point? My point was he took chances on kids who were "character risks" and you're acting like that's a bad thing because of your opinion that they "had no business being in college" in the first place--Which was a f*cked up thing to say, and if you had an ounce of integrity you would walk it back. 

Chris Herren got kicked out of Boston College for being a heroin junkie, I guess he had "no business being in college" because he was 18 years old and made a MISTAKE. --That didn't stop Tark from giving him a second chance. Herren credits Tark for saving his life and what did Herren do with the opportunity that Tark gave him? I think we know.

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

“To get an education?“ Come on! The vast majority of these kids didn’t graduate. They made Vegas, the NCAA AND Tark a lot of money. IF Tark had graduated most of these kids, than your argument holds water.  The NCAA avg. grad rate in the 80s was a horrible 40 percent. Vegas had a grad rate of 1/3 of that by most estimates I’ve read. His model of recruiting is defunct. Like I said in an earlier post. It had grown tired when he was asked to leave Fresno State with a check for $240k they didn’t have to pay him.

YOU started this argument. Vegas has had success with one coach. And it won because Tark thought it was altruistic to recruit contrary to NCAA rules. 

I’m sorry, I don’t believe Vegas is any different than a New Mexico or a SDSU or even a Nevada since he was fired. It had an incredible journey with a unique coach. End of argument. 

I followed Tarks career from a distance and went and saw his teams play starting at Riverside CC, Pasadena CC, Long Beach State, on to UNLV and finally Fresno State. Tark recruited tough kids that played with passion few teams in that era did. He was idolized in the black community because he gave kids a chance no one else would.

Yes he benefitted from them, but my impression was that he wanted them to see them succeed more than any accolades he got. The guy was one helluva basketball coach and even a greater man.

8 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

“To get an education?“ Come on! The vast majority of these kids didn’t graduate. They made Vegas, the NCAA AND Tark a lot of money. IF Tark had graduated most of these kids, than your argument holds water.  The NCAA avg. grad rate in the 80s was a horrible 40 percent. Vegas had a grad rate of 1/3 of that by most estimates I’ve read. His model of recruiting is defunct. Like I said in an earlier post. It had grown tired when he was asked to leave Fresno State with a check for $240k they didn’t have to pay him.

YOU started this argument. Vegas has had success with one coach. And it won because Tark thought it was altruistic to recruit contrary to NCAA rules. 

I’m sorry, I don’t believe Vegas is any different than a New Mexico or a SDSU or even a Nevada since he was fired. It had an incredible journey with a unique coach. End of argument. 

Dude will you get real. We're talking about graduation rates with college basketball players. The education they received from Tark about life, integrity, family, community, work ethic, success, friendship--was 1000x more valuable than wrapping up their f*cking communication degrees..Especially considering how many of Tark's players got drafted by the NBA or went pro overseas. 

UNLV will be always be different than UNR, New Mexico, SDSU and the rest of the 315 D1 teams that have never won the Big Dance. We were Champions---and champions never die baby! 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

9 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

Dude will you get real. We're talking about graduation rates with college basketball players. The education they received from Tark about life, integrity, family, community, work ethic, success, friendship--was 1000x more valuable than wrapping up their f*cking communication degrees..Especially considering how many of Tark's players got drafted by the NBA or went pro overseas. 

UNLV will be always be different than UNR, New Mexico, SDSU and the rest of the 315 D1 teams that have never won the Big Dance. We were Champions---and champions never die baby! 

This is true. And I don't think you'll have any trouble convincing anyone that UNLV is a lot like USF, UTEP, La Salle, or CCNY. I'd say Loyola-Chicago, too, but they have actually had recent tournament success.