Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fbpack

Let the rebuild begin Jalen Harris staying in draft

1 minute ago, ph90702 said:

Like he did at UCLA? 😂 

Even you know that certain coaching jobs with all the expectations, hardcore politics with donors and hardcore pressure just aren’t an environment that a lot of great coaches can function optimally. Simple as that. 

kat.jpg

Just now, Nevada Convert said:

Even you know that certain coaching jobs with all the expectations, hardcore politics with donors and hardcore pressure just aren’t an environment that a lot of great coaches can function optimally. Simple as that. 

Excuses for Steve Assford!

41 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Excuses for Steve Assford!

It's just reality. I mean, look at UNLV as an example. It's a huge national power with elite expectations, hardcore donor politics, and extreme pressure to get results immediately. So look at how many coaches you've gone through in a short period of time. The same thing happens at UNLV as it does at UCLA. You've always gotten the best coaches, it's just they can't deal with the pressure like Alford couldn't. 

kat.jpg

32 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

It's just reality. I mean, look at UNLV as an example. It's a huge national power with elite expectations, hardcore donor politics, and extreme pressure to get results immediately. So look at how many coaches you've gone through in a short period of time. The same thing happens at UNLV as it does at UCLA. You've always gotten the best coaches, it's just they can't deal with the pressure like Alford couldn't. 

A huge national power?! 😂😂😂 Vegas is a program that has had success under one coach and his niche was recruiting players that read at a third-grade level. 

3 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

A huge national power?! 😂😂😂 Vegas is a program that has had success under one coach and his niche was recruiting players that read at a third-grade level. 

I thought I made it ridiculous enough so that everyone would know I was being sarcastic and it was a joke. 

kat.jpg

10 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

I thought I made it ridiculous enough so that everyone would know I was being sarcastic and it was a joke. 

Hmmmm...and yet he thought you were serious...a fellow reno fan no less. Must be some shred of truth there.

UNLV was a national power for nearly 20 years...including one of the consensus greatest college teams of all-time in the 1990s. Jerry Tarkanian was one of the most famous and polarizing personalities in the game of basketball for over 30 years. Those days as a national power are long over...but at least we WERE a National Power at some point, and because of that UNLV still has national brand recognition in college basketball that no other school in the MWC even comes close to. UNLV Runnin' Rebel Basketball is a name that sparks a lot of memories for college basketball fans from all over the country. But Nevada Wolfpack? Utah St. Aggies? Colorado St Rams? Wyoming Cowboys? Those names MEAN NOTHING and are completely irrelevant to 99% of your average college basketball fans of all ages. 

I'd rather UNLV be a has-been than a never-was...

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

6 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

Hmmmm...and yet he thought you were serious...a fellow reno fan no less. Must be some shred of truth there.

UNLV was a national power for nearly 20 years...including one of the consensus greatest college teams of all-time in the 1990s. Jerry Tarkanian was one of the most famous and polarizing personalities in the game of basketball for over 30 years. Those days as a national power are long over...but at least we WERE a National Power at some point, and because of that UNLV still has national brand recognition in college basketball that no other school in the MWC even comes close to. UNLV Runnin' Rebel Basketball is a name that sparks a lot of memories for college basketball fans from all over the country. But Nevada Wolfpack? Utah St. Aggies? Colorado St Rams? Wyoming Cowboys? Those names MEAN NOTHING and are completely irrelevant to 99% of your average college basketball fans of all ages. 

UNLV CAN be a national power again.

20 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

The loss of Harris, Johnson, and Drew is going to hurt. Those guys were the backbone of the team. 

It’s just going to be a whole new team with an entirely different identity, basically. Unless something unforeseen happens, I think high teens in wins is the ceiling this year, with anything above .500 a good job. But the transition from a transfer U model to Alford’s more conventional roster building was always going to be a challenge. Jalen Harris obscured that a little bit.

Should be an interesting season.

7 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

What you don’t say is that Vegas’ brand is also associated with cheating. Couple cheating with a coach who recruited players who couldn’t get into school these days and it did have a ton of success. Vegas’ admin turned a blind-eye for 20 years and then finally fired the architect of that success because it couldn’t stand the cheating any longer. Times have changed. Rule changes, entrance requirements and the internet ensures that won’t happen again. Vegas hasn’t won a MWC championship in decades. Stop cheating = more difficult to win. 

19 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Alford’s last year at UCLA was baffling. He completely lost that team. He had good talent, but it was every man for himself trying to prove they were NBA worthy. I’ve never seen a UCLA team that undisciplined. However, that season appears to be an anomaly as his career had been good prior to that. I’ll be very surprised if the Pack finish top three again next year. 

5 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

What you don’t say is that Vegas’ brand is also associated with cheating. Couple cheating with a coach who recruited players who couldn’t get into school these days and it did have a ton of success. Vegas’ admin turned a blind-eye for 20 years and then finally fired the architect of that success because it couldn’t stand the cheating any longer. Times have changed. Rule changes, entrance requirements and the internet ensures that won’t happen again. Vegas hasn’t won a MWC championship in decades. Stop cheating = more difficult to win. 

Only if you're a gullible fool that actually believes the NCAA is enforcing a fair system for CBB. Tarkanian never got any heat from the NCAA when he was coaching for LBSU until he wrote an op-ed article in the Long Beach Press that got huge national attention when he publicly criticized the NCAA for their selective enforcement policies of bringing the hammer down on small schools and completely looking the other way at bigger schools. Including most famously saying "The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky, they just put Cleveland St on two more years probation."

Kind of convenient Tark wasn't even a blip on the NCAA's radar until he called them out...and that lead to a 25+ year long witch-hunt with the NCAA and Tark that included wire-taps and hidden cameras in UNLV's practice gyms. (Which ultimately lead to Tark suing the NCAA for harassment and they settled and paid Tark $2.6 million....the only time in history anyone has ever gotten a dime out of the NCAA for their corrupt bullsh*t) Oh and not a single victory of Tark/UNLV was vacated by the NCAA. 

You would think in light of news of Zion Williamson getting $100k+ from Duke to go there, or the ongoing '17/18 NCAA basketball corruption scandal indicting Adidas and schools like Arizona, Duke, Kentucky, Louisville, Texas, Auburn, USC, for huge cash payouts to recruits to attend their schools. ( 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_NCAA_Division_I_men's_basketball_corruption_scandal )

Or the news of UNC Academic Fraud scandal where Chapel Hill got busted enrolling players in fake online classes to boost their GPA and keep them academically eligible. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/13/sports/unc-north-carolina-ncaa.html

You would think after all that evidence against big-time schools that proves they CHEAT, but  don't even get a slap on the wrist from the NCAA, that maybe it was Tark that was the one telling the truth and not the NCAA. If you can't see that, you're a f*cking moron.  I'm not even saying Tark didn't bend the rules, he sure as sh*t did....how else can you compete against schools like Duke, UNC, Kentucky, or really any P5 school these days when they're allowed to cheat in broad daylight while the rest of us G5 are expected to play by the rules. It still amazes me that any fan of a G5 school would still defend the NCAA over Tark....regardless if they coached for your rival or not. He was the only one with the balls to call the NCAA out. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

17 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

Only if you're a gullible fool that actually believes the NCAA is enforcing a fair system for CBB. Tarkanian never got any heat from the NCAA when he was coaching for LBSU until he wrote an op-ed article in the Long Beach Press that got huge national attention when he publicly criticized the NCAA for their selective enforcement policies of bringing the hammer down on small schools and completely looking the other way at bigger schools. Including most famously saying "The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky, they just put Cleveland St on two more years probation."

Kind of convenient Tark wasn't even a blip on the NCAA's radar until he called them out...and that lead to a 25+ year long witch-hunt with the NCAA and Tark that included wire-taps and hidden cameras in UNLV's practice gyms. (Which ultimately lead to Tark suing the NCAA for harassment and they settled and paid Tark $2.6 million....the only time in history anyone has ever gotten a dime out of the NCAA for their corrupt bullsh*t) Oh and not a single victory of Tark/UNLV was vacated by the NCAA. 

You would think in light of news of Zion Williamson getting $100k+ from Duke to go there, or the ongoing '17/18 NCAA basketball corruption scandal indicting Adidas and schools like Arizona, Duke, Kentucky, Louisville, Texas, Auburn, USC, for huge cash payouts to recruits to attend their schools. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_NCAA_Division_I_men's_basketball_corruption_scandal )

Or the news of UNC Academic Fraud scandal where Chapel Hill got busted enrolling players in fake online classes to boost their GPA and keep them academically eligible. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/13/sports/unc-north-carolina-ncaa.html

You would think after all that evidence against big-time schools that proves they CHEAT, but  don't even get a slap on the wrist from the NCAA, that maybe it was Tark that was the one telling the truth and not the NCAA. If you can't see that, you're a f*cking moron.  I'm not even saying Tark didn't bend the rules, he sure as sh*t did....how else can you compete against schools like Duke, UNC, Kentucky, or really any P5 school these days when they're allowed to cheat in broad daylight while the rest of us G5 are expected to play by the rules. It still amazes me that any fan of a G5 school would still defend the NCAA over Tark....regardless if they coached for your rival or not. He was the only one with the balls to call the NCAA out. 

Jealousy plain and simple.

17 minutes ago, Amaru523 said:

Jealousy plain and simple.

and this dude actually thinks that because of "rule changes, entrance requirements, and the internet" that it's more difficult to cheat now than it was back then...LOL. They're cheating more now than there EVER was. The cheating isn't even from some rich boosters giving $100 handshakes anymore, its cheating backed by BILLION DOLLAR shoe corporations and the AAU circuit.

He actually said the internet made it more difficult to cheat when schools like UNC are cheating using THE INTERNET via online classes.  LOLLOLLOL  I swear some of these Reno fans ( @NevadaFan ) are semi-retarded.

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

52 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

and this dude actually thinks that because of "rule changes, entrance requirements, and the internet" that it's more difficult to cheat now than it was back then...LOL. They're cheating more now than there EVER was. The cheating isn't even from some rich boosters giving $100 handshakes anymore, its cheating backed by BILLION DOLLAR shoe corporations and the AAU circuit.

He actually said the internet made it more difficult to cheat when schools like UNC are cheating using THE INTERNET via online classes.  LOLLOLLOL  I swear some of these Reno fans ( @NevadaFan ) are semi-retarded.

Fact. Tark was FIRED by Vegas. Not the NCAA. Its own admin was so sick of the cheating it cleaned house.

Fact. He left three different programs on probation. 

Fact. Vegas has won 1 MWC championship. It won 10 BWC championships. Since it stopped cheating (probation and recruiting players unqualified to be in college—even Vegas) it has stopped winning. 

Fact. Vegas was successful under 1 coach three decades ago. It has had more coaches get fired, retire, or leave than any other school in the conference, since Tark was fired.

If Vegas is so great, why 30 years later are we having this same conversation? Brag all you want about Vegas. We know exactly what it is and why it had success. It had a great coach who recruited players who could barely read. And then he condemned a system for not allowing him to do this. It is fine he cared for people. It’s is also fact he cared for people who were also great basketball players.

Tark should last about three minutes as a coach in the modern era. 

46 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Fact. Tark was FIRED by Vegas. Not the NCAA. Its own admin was so sick of the cheating it cleaned house.

Fact. He left three different programs on probation. 

Fact. Vegas has won 1 MWC championship. It won 10 BWC championships. Since it stopped cheating (probation and recruiting players unqualified to be in college—even Vegas) it has stopped winning. 

Fact. Vegas was successful under 1 coach three decades ago. It has had more coaches get fired, retire, or leave than any other school in the conference, since Tark was fired.

If Vegas is so great, why 30 years later are we having this same conversation? Brag all you want about Vegas. We know exactly what it is and why it had success. It had a great coach who recruited players who could barely read. And then he condemned a system for not allowing him to do this. It is fine he cared for people. It’s is also fact he cared for people who were also great basketball players.

Tark should last about three minutes as a coach in the modern era. 

He wasn't fired for anything that had to do with cheating..that was all political with Steve Wynn/Robert Maxson..the NCAA's allegations were nothing but an excuse to oust Tark, you don't know wtf you're talking about.  I already explained why Tark was hounded/on constant probation by the NCAA and why his fight against them is vindicated to his day as I gave several concrete examples. 

Again, Tark sued the NCAA and won/settled in his favor-- and he never had a single win vacated at UNLV as a result of NCAA's many over-zealous and (illegal in the case of wire tapping and hidden camera) fueled investigations. I call that innocent until proven guilty. We're in agreement that UNLV lost its greatness after Tark...but atleast they made their mark in history. Not just the Final Fours and National Championship, but Tark calling out the NCAA's selective enforcement in favor of the modern P5 schools. Tark should be the hero of every G5 school because he's the only one that had the balls to speak-out against that injustice and sacrificed his legacy and career to do so. We can atleast find common ground in this debate and admit he was right all-along. 

Let's talk more about how the internet makes it more difficult to cheat...LOL do me a favor and just read the opening paragraph of this:  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/13/sports/unc-north-carolina-ncaa.html

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif