Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

Sleeping Giant Fan

You apparently didn't get the memo. SGF is me. However, the new moniker was spur of the moment and it didn't occur to me that it's almost identical to what another Aztec has had for years here and it's obviously confused some other posters so I should probably change it again. At the risk of putting mugtang to some additional work, I'll come up with somebody more distinctive.

In the meantime, here's some history. SleepingGiantsFan came about on the original Aztectalk board about 15 years ago. It's a play on words because being originally from the Bay Area, the Giants have always my favorite MLB team and at that time SDSU was often derived in the media as being a "sleeping giant" with the SF Giants being almost equally disappointing. However, you never hear SDSU called a sleeping giant anymore as both the football and basketball programs have improved immensely since and the Giants have won three WS since then. So the name no longer makes sense. SUDSFan is a similar play on words because of what SDSU is often called here and the fact I drink a shit ton of beer.

Guest #1Stunner
5 minutes ago, SUDSFan said:

You apparently didn't get the memo. SGF is me. However, the new moniker was spur of the moment and it didn't occur to me that it's almost identical to what another Aztec has had for years here and it's obviously confused some other posters so I should probably change it again. At the risk of putting mugtang to some additional work, I'll come up with somebody more distinctive.

In the meantime, here's some history. SleepingGiantsFan came about on the original Aztectalk board about 15 years ago. It's a play on words because being originally from the Bay Area, the Giants have always my favorite MLB team and at that time SDSU was often derived in the media as being a "sleeping giant" with the SF Giants being almost equally disappointing. However, you never hear SDSU called a sleeping giant anymore as both the football and basketball programs have improved immensely since and the Giants have won three WS since then. So the name no longer makes sense. SUDSFan is a similar play on words because of what SDSU is often called here and the fact I drink a shit ton of beer.

I thought you passed away.

@SleepingGiantFan

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, SUDSFan said:

Sorry to burst your bubble.

To the contrary.   Thrilled to hear you are in good health.

You are one of the greatest Aztecs of all time.   Probably the Senior Statesman of Aztecs Athletics on the board.

By the way, what are your thoughts about the MWC going to a 20 game basketball schedule?

11 minutes ago, SUDSFan said:

Nah I think you should keep it. @SDSUfan is like your Alter ego and it keeps the rest of us on our toes.   

1 minute ago, sactowndog said:

Nah I think you should keep it. @SDSUfan is like your Alter ego and it keeps the rest of us on our toes.   

Thanks for the input. I'm curious whether anyone else has an opinion of the subject - as opposed to hoping I had simply died.

9 hours ago, SUDSFan said:

Until this post, I kept read your handle as "SDSUFan". The mind's auto-correct. SUDSfan makes sense, but psychologically easy to misread. IIRC, you're in the SFV. Have you considered 818SUDSfan? That will make it easier to distinguish you from SDSUfan. Since you're a giants fan too, maybe RedOrangeBlackfan- your teams' colors? (Kinda like DoubleBlueGold- SJSU and Rams colors.)

22 hours ago, SUDSFan said:

Lol I didn’t get the memo. I was like who tf is this new guy coming out swinging? 

Good to see you well.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

22 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

To the contrary.   Thrilled to hear you are in good health.

You are one of the greatest Aztecs of all time.   Probably the Senior Statesman of Aztecs Athletics on the board.

By the way, what are your thoughts about the MWC going to a 20 game basketball schedule?

I knew you were just kidding and hope you knew that I was as well.

As to the 20-game schedule, there has been much talk on Aztec boards and in the SDUT about how the change again disses SDSU. Steve Fisher advocated for just a 14-game schedule when there were only nine conference members and then a 16-game schedule after the expansion and in neither case was he successful. One thing not emphasized by the UT was that rumor has it SDSU was joined in opposing the 20-game schedule by both Nevada schools. To me that's another example that if SDSU can't get into the B12, our future lies in forming a new conference with those schools, your school, Fresno, Hawaii and a couple others and letting Boise be to what would be left of the MWC as Texas is to the B12. (And yes, I DO get that if SDSU goes to the B12 and that conference still includes UT that we would always be subordinate to UT but the huge income improvement would be worth kissing Bevo's hooves.)

12 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Until this post, I kept read your handle as "SDSUFan". The mind's auto-correct. SUDSfan makes sense, but psychologically easy to misread. IIRC, you're in the SFV. Have you considered 818SUDSfan? That will make it easier to distinguish you from SDSUfan. Since you're a giants fan too, maybe RedOrangeBlackfan- your teams' colors? (Kinda like DoubleBlueGold- SJSU and Rams colors.)

818SUDSFan makes sense. Thanks for the suggestion.

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, SUDSFan said:

As to the 20-game schedule, there has been much talk on Aztec boards and in the SDUT about how the change again disses SDSU. Steve Fisher advocated for just a 14-game schedule when there were only nine conference members and then a 16-game schedule after the expansion and in neither case was he successful. One thing not emphasized by the UT was that rumor has it SDSU was joined in opposing the 20-game schedule by both Nevada schools. To me that's another example that if SDSU can't get into the B12, our future lies in forming a new conference with those schools, your school, Fresno, Hawaii and a couple others and letting Boise be to what would be left of the MWC as Texas is to the B12. (And yes, I DO get that if SDSU goes to the B12 and that conference still includes UT that we would always be subordinate to Bevo but the huge income improvement would be worth kissing their shoes.)

Good thoughts.

It is odd that the conference is throwing SDSU under the bus (SDSU has been the best MWC basketball program for the past decade).   The WCC moved to 16 conference games to help Gonzaga schedule bigger names.  It has worked out fine so far.

I guess some of the MWC schools are so unappealing, that they can't find anyone who wants to play them.   It's a poor excuse.

Schools like USU, Wyoming, CSU, and AFA, should simply fill out their schedule with Summit League and WAC schools.   The more western schools can easily schedule Big West and WCC schools.   Better than cannibalizing and beating up on conference mates.  The MWC isn't a Power 6 basketball conference...

Regarding conference expansion, SDSU is probably a P5 level University / Market, but you guys are simply screwed by your geography.  That is also the case for Gonzaga and BYU.  

15 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

As to the 20-game schedule, there has been much talk on Aztec boards and in the SDUT about how the change again disses SDSU. Steve Fisher advocated for just a 14-game schedule when there were only nine conference members and then a 16-game schedule after the expansion and in neither case was he successful. One thing not emphasized by the UT was that rumor has it SDSU was joined in opposing the 20-game schedule by both Nevada schools. To me that's another example that if SDSU can't get into the B12, our future lies in forming a new conference with those schools, your school, Fresno, Hawaii and a couple others and letting Boise be to what would be left of the MWC as Texas is to the B12. (And yes, I DO get that if SDSU goes to the B12 and that conference still includes UT that we would always be subordinate to UT but the huge income improvement would be worth kissing Bevo's hooves.)

You should’ve just change it to:

SleepingJoeFan 

or

SleepyJoeFan

kat.jpg

20 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

818SUDSFan makes sense. Thanks for the suggestion.

I think SGF needs to be included in there.  If I didn’t see this thread in the off topic section I would have no idea 818SUDSFan is you. And I’ve been reading your posts for 15+ years

21 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Personally, I'd rather have the additional conference games.  It's not like our home schedule is brimming with compelling opponents. At least conference games are meaningful and who knows, maybe one day SJSU will have an RPI above 250. 

One can dream.....

Signed,

THE SDSUfan

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 5/21/2020 at 1:19 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

I'm not convinced you're SGF. Prove it... do you have a birthmark in the shape of Disgruntled Monty? :hmmm:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg