Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maynard Delecto

Why do so many MWCBOARDers like soccer?

Our daughter played from five years old up through high school. I initially didn’t like watching it but as the kids grew older I began to appreciate the skill and strategy involved. The downside with soccer is one team can completely dominate shots on goal and still lose on a lucky single shot by the opponent. 

54 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

World Cup and Olympics is must watch.  I will catch every match I can.  Outside of that I could really care less as I do not have a rooting interest.  MLS is trash.  European soccer is fun but I just can not find a rooting interest or catch enough games to really bring me in.  When I can root for the USA, Norway, Sweden and Ireland I really enjoy it.  Or I enjoy it at least as much as other Olympic and Global events.  I will watch ping pong played at the highest level if I have a rooting interest.

Champions League games can be real good too.  Following the 4-5 young Americans in Europe keeps me going.  There are more all the time making the jump over there but we have a legit 4-5 that could become stars for the US.  Many times watching them though means a bad game just to get a few minutes with them on the ball. God bless the DVR.

2 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Nah.  Soccer is incredibly boring.  The flopping is ridiculous.  Hating soccer is just "cool"  It is kind of like hating Nickle Back.  Does Nickle Back kinda suck?  Yeah.  Do they deserve the hate leveled towards them?  Not really.  Same with soccer. 

Nickelback is objectively detestable 

Soccer is not 

To the OP's question: because we're fans of sport?

As much as I love football and baseball, I find it funny that dudes like to flex on soccer when watching FB and MLB is really for prima donna ninnies who require a 40-60 second powder break in between 10-second spurts of action. By contrast, hoops, hockey, and soccer all have the ball in play pretty much nonstop. 

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

2 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

As much as I love football and baseball, I find it funny that dudes like to flex on soccer when watching FB and MLB is really for prima donna ninnies who require a 40-60 second powder break in between 10-second spurts of action. By contrast, hoops, hockey, and soccer all have the ball in play pretty much nonstop. 

I was a motocross racer as a kid. Beat the crap out of myself daily and loved it.   I remember the articles from medical journals that claimed it was the second most physically demanding sport in the world. Second to soccer.

Kids in this country that can’t play real sports turn to soccer and then tell everyone they aren’t sophisticated enough to get soccer. It’s a lot like lacrosse, just a hobby for shitty athletes and frat boys. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

19 hours ago, Wyoguns said:

Don't hate soccer but I don't like it.  Only time I watch it is during the Olympics.

I attended at the France/Brazil Gold medal match in the Rose Bowl for the 1984 LA Games, but that's Under-23 crap.

You should really chk-out the FIFA World Cup & Copa America (SoAmerica)/Gold Cup (NoAmerica) between World Cups.

1 hour ago, boisewitha-s said:

Kids in this country that can’t play real sports turn to soccer and then tell everyone they aren’t sophisticated enough to get soccer. It’s a lot like lacrosse, just a hobby for shitty athletes and frat boys. 

Not in Calif.  In CIF f'ball is a Fall Sports, while Soccer & Hoops are Winter Sport.

1 hour ago, roughrider said:

I was a motocross racer as a kid. Beat the crap out of myself daily and loved it.   I remember the articles from medical journals that claimed it was the second most physically demanding sport in the world. Second to soccer.

(A) - Moto-X isn't a sport

(B) - h2o Polo & Ice Hockey are more demanding than both

5 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Our daughter played from five years old up through high school. I initially didn’t like watching it but as the kids grew older I began to appreciate the skill and strategy involved. The downside with soccer is one team can completely dominate shots on goal and still lose on a lucky single shot by the opponent. 

That "downside" is a dbl-edge sword.  It makes runs like Russia & Iceland had in recent-yrs possible.

On 5/21/2020 at 8:14 AM, Maynard Delecto said:

So that's where the SJSU "fans" are.

4 hours ago, roughrider said:

Yeah but once you subtract all the women's soccer teams that have played UNM, soccer drops to like, third.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

International soccer is my favorite sport, I haven't missed a USMNT game in about 8 years friendly or otherwise.

I do have some trouble getting into the club level due to a lack of a playoff system in Europe (which I'm not advocating for them to adopt). It's really fun if there's a tight league race, but very often that ends up not being the case. Champions League is great but outside of the final those games occur on workdays in the middle of the afternoon. I mainly just root on American players in the big European leagues.

MLS is cool. I'll turn it on from time to time, but in the Spring it's not gonna beat College basketball for me, In the summer it's not gonna beat the NBA/NHL playoffs, and in the fall it's not gonna beat college football. It's not very often that an MLS match is the most interesting thing on. I do enjoy cheering on MLS teams in The CONCACAF Champions League against The Liga MX teams though (even if they always +++++ up)

On 5/23/2020 at 3:52 PM, boisewitha-s said:

Dude you are crazy. Try jumping and heading a ball in the middle of a pack at just the right angle away from the keeper. Try juggling the ball for even a few minutes without it hitting the ground. Soccer requires speed, lateral quickness, agility, and stamina. In addition to soccer, my daughter played basketball and volleyball and was very good at those sports also. 

On 5/23/2020 at 3:24 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

Great 

Now I'm aroused 

On 5/23/2020 at 1:07 PM, AndroidAggie said:

Nickelback is objectively detestable 

Soccer is not 

Hot take: nickel back is not as bad as people say 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

On 5/23/2020 at 4:58 PM, GoState99755 said:

I attended at the France/Brazil Gold medal match in the Rose Bowl for the 1984 LA Games, but that's Under-23 crap.

You should really chk-out the FIFA World Cup & Copa America (SoAmerica)/Gold Cup (NoAmerica) between World Cups.

I took this picture at the England-Romania match at France98.  It was one of 5 matches I attended over 5 days. Thats Beckham making his first ever appearance in a World Cup.

For those who wonder what the attraction of soccer is I suggest they attend a World Cup on foreign soil.  It the biggest month long party going.  Better than any other sports event Ive attended and Ive been to a bunch.

D927A858-1FFA-45E4-B8FC-D43E007572BD.jpeg

Grew up in a small town that didn’t have a soccer program.  Started playing intramural soccer in college at the urging of some friends because I was fast.  Fell in love with playing the sport because I found it to be a sport that I could play well after college and helped me get/stay in shape.  Then transitioned into coaching at youth recreational and competitive levels despite kicking my first soccer ball at age 20.  Still play at a decent level in adult leagues today as the ‘old man’.  

I still don’t enjoy watching it as much as football (outside of the World Cup) but it is my favorite sport to play hands down.

I really like watching the World Cup, Euro Cup, and Gold Cup, but I can’t get in to club soccer. I can’t follow a league without having a team to root for, and I can’t decide who to root for because I don’t follow the leagues.