Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jdgaucho

All University of California campuses to open in the fall

University of California President Janet Napolitano says all UC campuses will be open and offering instruction in the fall, albeit mostly in a hybrid fashion with both in-person and online instruction.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/05/20/coronavirus-university-of-california-campuses-will-open-in-the-fall-napolitano-says/amp/

:cheer:

How about it, @nvspuds and @HawaiiMongoose ?

If the Cal State's don't play ball this year, the five non-pac UCs and Hawaii team up with the rest of the MWC?

2020-2021 BMWC 

Hawaii

UC San Diego

UNLV

Nevada

UC Santa Barbara

UC Davis

Boise

UC Irvine

Air Force

Wyoming

UNM

UC Riverside

CSU

USU

Strange that the UC schools are being treated different than the Cal State schools. I’m surprised Newsom hasn’t put the kibosh on it. Money seems to be driving this decision. I wonder how many students have decided they are going to skip the fall semester and maybe even spring if things turn bad. Although as a young student your chances of recovering if you get the virus are very high. This is going to either work out well or could end up being a nightmare. 

8 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Strange that the UC schools are being treated different than the Cal State schools. I’m surprised Newsom hasn’t put the kibosh on it. Money seems to be driving this decision. I wonder how many students have decided they are going to skip the fall semester and maybe even spring if things turn bad. Although as a young student your chances of recovering if you get the virus are very high. This is going to either work out well or could end up being a nightmare. 

They are both saying it will be a hybrid of sorts. I don’t think Newsome would stop that. 

16 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I think SJSU, Fresno, and SDSU will be playing football and this will all be moot.

I agree They had Fresno State‘s president on the local sports radio station and he said that what the CSU Chancellor stated was very misleading. No final decision has been made, but it does sound very promising now that we hear more and more universities easing restrictions. 

BDS.jpeg.b92a1351cc7ee6a0de0c311059007356.jpeg

31 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I thought the Cal State schools were only going to be online? 

The announcement from the CS chancellor was 'mostly online'.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

The CSU's are preparing for sports to be played on campus as scheduled in '20-'21. Nothing from their chancellor so far has explicitly suggested a lost season

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

The CSU's are preparing for sports to be played on campus as scheduled in '20-'21. Nothing from their chancellor so far has explicitly suggested a lost season

It seems like when the announcement that the fall semester would be online (or mostly online) a lot of people just made the assumption that fall sports would be cancelled because of this. The all-CSU CCAA announcing the cancelation of their fall sports the same day probably had a lot to do with that.

9 hours ago, Maynard Delecto said:

Follow the money to find the "truth" out about this chinavirus stuff.  

The potential lawsuits for denial of services would have cost >>>>>>>>>> than any alleged health risks.

Follow the money is right.  One dead professor and the lawsuits will flow.  That is exactly what is driving the decisions.  Liability.

On 5/20/2020 at 2:55 PM, nvspuds said:

Naw...I like outside of the box thinking but the MW would still have 8 members..16 game schedule.. easy peasy..

Teams don't play themselves.  Eight members means 7 opponents for each member which means a 14 game schedule.

Hopefully things will work out so it's not necessary, but if the MWC were to have only 8 members with active athletic programs and the BWC were to have only 6, some kind of temporary alliance could make sense.  As an example each school could play home-and-homes against the members of its own conference and single games (half home and half away) against the members of the other conference.  That would give the MWC schools 20 game schedules and the BWC schools 18 game schedules.

3 hours ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

Teams don't play themselves.  Eight members means 7 opponents for each member which means a 14 game schedule.

Hopefully things will work out so it's not necessary, but if the MWC were to have only 8 members with active athletic programs and the BWC were to have only 6, some kind of temporary alliance could make sense.  As an example each school could play home-and-homes against the members of its own conference and single games (half home and half away) against the members of the other conference.  That would give the MWC schools 20 game schedules and the BWC schools 18 game schedules.

It was a joke and a play on my poor math skills.

On 5/20/2020 at 6:44 PM, jdgaucho said:

University of California President Janet Napolitano says all UC campuses will be open and offering instruction in the fall, albeit mostly in a hybrid fashion with both in-person and online instruction.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/05/20/coronavirus-university-of-california-campuses-will-open-in-the-fall-napolitano-says/amp/

:cheer:

When $$$ talks, people listen

On 5/21/2020 at 12:14 AM, soupslam1 said:

Cal State schools are likewise opening. Most if not all schools will be opening across the country. They can't afford not to.

If this nonsense has any positive outcome at all it will be to speed up the inevitable transition to distance learning.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

2 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

Cal State schools are likewise opening. Most if not all schools will be opening across the country. They can't afford not to.

If this nonsense has any positive outcome at all it will be to speed up the inevitable transition to distance learning.

Many students do not learn well in distance learning, one of the outcomes I think that will be realized from the lockdowns. There will need to be a mix of educational styles.

But I agree there will be more distance learning offered in the future.

What does need to speed up is the NCAA's view of athletics and distance learning. The NCAA has been about school having to be reopened after coronavirus for athletics to operate.

But in a future scenario with more distance learning even without coronavirus, if a University has 75% or more of its classes online vs a school with only 25% online how is the definition of student-athlete impacted.