Jump to content
Ibanez

ECU looking to cut some sports.

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

in all honesty I think this virus presents an opportunity for ADs/Presidents to cut some sports and balance the budget without the public outcry that normally comes with doing that...I would think these cuts (like Cincy cutting soccer) are things that have been in the works for awhile.

Completely agree. SJSU sponsors too many damn sports for what our budget is; I am legitimately surprised they haven’t cut some sports yet. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Completely agree. SJSU sponsors too many damn sports for what our budget is; I am legitimately surprised they haven’t cut some sports yet. 

You just opened yourself up for the Fresno State fans to feast. As soon as they are done doing their meth runs I'm sure they are gonna eat that post up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2020 at 2:29 PM, UofMTigers said:

in all honesty I think this virus presents an opportunity for ADs/Presidents to cut some sports and balance the budget without the public outcry that normally comes with doing that...I would think these cuts (like Cincy cutting soccer) are things that have been in the works for awhile.

 

Perhaps.  But Furman cutting baseball and men's lacrosse is not insignificant.  And they're a private institution.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2020 at 6:49 PM, Ibanez said:

I still think UAB is the perfect choice for the AAC. But I'm not gonna beat that dead horse. I get it, it's worth waiting to see what happens.

UAB?.  Spent years in a league with them and was never so happy to have a school dropped from our schedule.  It was just a few years ago they were shuttering their football program.  Look---I dont want anyone to lose their program like that---so Im glad they were able to save it, but their tiny budget and poor support screams CUSA.  Clark will be gone soon.  Once Clark leaves, they will be the same ole UAB that was so close to death Tuscaloosa thought they could quietly kill the program without anyone noticing.  The only way UAB has a chance of being competitive is if it stays grouped with other similar low budget programs in CUSA.  They are where they need to be,  They would just be a dead weight anchor in the AAC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2020 at 9:39 AM, CaffeinatedCoog said:

UAB?.  Spent years in a league with them and was never so happy to have a school dropped from our schedule.  It was just a few years ago they were shuttering their football program.  Look---I dont want anyone to lose their program like that---so Im glad they were able to save it, but their tiny budget and poor support screams CUSA.  Clark will be gone soon.  Once Clark leaves, they will be the same ole UAB that was so close to death Tuscaloosa thought they could quietly kill the program without anyone noticing.  The only way UAB has a chance of being competitive is if it stays grouped with other similar low budget programs in CUSA.  They are where they need to be,  They would just be a dead weight anchor in the AAC.

Because Tulsa and ECU are doing so well? They are already good enough to be a middle of the road teams in the AAC. Move them in a better league with their recruiting backyard and it's not taking long before they are bowling and winning big games as well.

You're a Houston fan. Last year should of been a clue on how fast teams rise and fall.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Because Tulsa and ECU are doing so well? They are already good enough to be a no of the road teams in the AAC. Move them in a better league with their recruiting backyard and it's not taking long before they are bowling and winning big games as well.

You're a Houston fan. Last year should of been a clue on how fast teams rise and fall.

 

In other words the Vandals and NM State should be added to the MW immediately since they are at least as good as San Jose St?  C'mon.  Your smarter than that.  Its just dumb to purposely add to the bottom of the conference when you arent forced to.  Yes, all programs have ups and down---but when looking for a member, you want to look at programs are tend to be up far more often than down.  UAB?  Thats a program that will be down far more often than not.  Right now---the best AAC option is to stand pat---or maybe add VCU as a non-football member.  It is what it is.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

What a funky topic.  UAB to add to anything other than JUCO.  (Sidebar, Troy is better).  Anywho, I'm not a huge cheerleader of P6 AAC chest beating about things. I'm cool with our lower tier TV contract.  I'm proud of our collective gridiron and hoops accomplishments. I'm thrilled to have Navy as a football only.  Very happy with Wichita State as hoops and baseball.

Connecticut never really belonged. Quasi props to them for their return to BE and the moderate TV deal. 

Abstain on Tulsa and East Carolina.  But very not the Tulane and Temple.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

UAB?.  Spent years in a league with them and was never so happy to have a school dropped from our schedule.  It was just a few years ago they were shuttering their football program.  

that UAB died and they're better for it...

they got Bryant Jr off the BOT and replaced him with a UAB grad...they balanced the athletic budget and were still able to maintain a budget of over 30 million...they raised funds to build a new practice facility...they're getting a brand new 100+ million dollar stadium...they just hired Andy Kennedy to lead their historic hoops program.

in no world is Troy a better program since UAB has a valuable TV market, a brand new stadium, along with a hoops program that not only has a pulse but has good history...Troy has none of those things. Troy would be actual dead weight for the AAC.

UAB's new practice facility:

uap.jpg

UAB's new football stadium:

screen-shot-2019-09-18-at-124540-pm*1200

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

that UAB died and they're better for it...

they got Bryant Jr off the BOT and replaced him with a UAB grad...they balanced the athletic budget and were still able to maintain a budget of over 30 million...they raised funds to build a new practice facility...they're getting a brand new 100+ million dollar stadium...they just hired Andy Kennedy to lead their historic hoops program.

in no world is Troy a better program since UAB has a valuable TV market, a brand new stadium, along with a hoops program that not only has a pulse but has good history...Troy has none of those things. Troy would be actual dead weight for the AAC.

UAB's new practice facility:

uap.jpg

UAB's new football stadium:

screen-shot-2019-09-18-at-124540-pm*1200

Nope.  Same UAB.  UAB didnt build that stadium and wont make a dime off of it.  That practice facility is not a an indoor facility----its open on the sides and is little more than a tin roof over a turf field.   They have the same small budget they always had.  Same board controlled by Tuscaloosa.  Same fickle fan base.  Birmingham is already losing interest even while the team is still winning.  Attendance isnt supposed to trend downward over the season as the win total rises on your way to the CCG---but it did.     

The only thing different right now at UAB is Clark--who is a true miracle worker.....but we all know Clark wont be there much longer.  He's destined for bigger things.    That said---UAB at least has a chance to have a good year every once in a while as long as they stay in CUSA where their athletic budget is only slightly below average for the conference.  They are where they need to be.    

Link to post
Share on other sites

in 2017 UAB averaged 25,542 (high of 45,212)...in 2018 UAB averaged 24,291 (high of 28,014)...in 2019 UAB averaged 24,726 (high of 39,165)

they have so much potential in their new 44,000 seat stadium.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

in 2017 UAB averaged 25,542 (high of 45,212)...in 2018 UAB averaged 24,291 (high of 28,014)...in 2019 UAB averaged 24,726 (high of 39,165)

they have so much potential in their new 44,000 seat stadium.

25k ain’t bad. Pretty much everyone’s attendance is dropping save for a few sec and some teams who had great years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, brillio said:

25k ain’t bad. Pretty much everyone’s attendance is dropping save for a few sec and some teams who had great years. 

plus they would replace playing teams like UTSA, UTEP, Rice, ODU, WKU, etc with playing teams like Cincy, Navy, Houston, Memphis, UCF, etc...in a new football stadium, no less...so their attendance would go up.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

plus they would replace playing teams like UTSA, UTEP, Rice, ODU, WKU, etc with playing teams like Cincy, Navy, Houston, Memphis, UCF, etc...in a new football stadium, no less...so their attendance would go up.

 

Still looks like C-USA to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

 

Still looks like C-USA to me.

I'm talking attendance...teams like Cincy, Navy, UCF, and Memphis would bring out some extra fair weather UAB fans IMHO.+

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, brillio said:

25k ain’t bad. Pretty much everyone’s attendance is dropping save for a few sec and some teams who had great years. 

UofMTigers totally missed my point.  The attendance trended down all season---despite the fact they had a great year and were heading to the CCG.  

vs Alabama St---39,165 (their best crowd was when an in state HBU filled their stadium)

vs S Alabama--27,932 (more help from an in state opponent).

vs Rice---23,526

vs ODU  19,511

vs UTEP--19,875

vs LaTech--18,346

Thats not how its supposed to look when your team is 9-3 playing a big home game for the division crown.    

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

UofMTigers totally missed my point.  The attendance trended down all season---despite the fact they had a great year and were heading to the CCG.  

vs Alabama St---39,165 (their best crowd was when an in state HBU filled their stadium)

vs S Alabama--27,932 (more help from an in state opponent).

vs Rice---23,526

vs ODU  19,511

vs UTEP--19,875

vs LaTech--18,346

Thats not how its supposed to look when your team is 9-3 playing a big home game for the division crown.    

 

 

and as I said, games with ODU, UTEP, Rice, La Tech, etc don't bring out the fans...replace them with Cincy, UCF, Houston, Memphis, etc...and UAB's attendance will go up (esp in a new stadium)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

and as I said, games with ODU, UTEP, Rice, La Tech, etc don't bring out the fans...replace them with Cincy, UCF, Houston, Memphis, etc...and UAB's attendance will go up (esp in a new stadium)

If only there was some way we could see 20 years worth of data indicating what UAB actually drew playing UCF, Memphis, Houston, etc.    I respect your opinions UofMTigers, but I just think Birmingham is already growing bored again with UAB.  It was fun saving the program---but now that euphoria has worn off---the locals have remembered that they dont really give a crap about the Blazers and would rather watch the SEC on TV.  UAB is just another Tulane.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

If only there was some way we could see 20 years worth of data indicating what UAB actually drew playing UCF, Memphis, Houston, etc.    

There is, and the numbers are about the same.  The only crowds over 30k they ever drew for a conference game came against...TCU and So Miss.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RSF said:

There is, and the numbers are about the same.  The only crowds over 30k they ever drew for a conference game came against...TCU and So Miss.

as I said, that UAB is long gone...they died in 2014

it's like comparing Memphis football in 2020 to Memphis football under Larry Porter...not the same animal.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2020 at 8:23 PM, UofMTigers said:

as I said, that UAB is long gone...they died in 2014

it's like comparing Memphis football in 2020 to Memphis football under Larry Porter...not the same animal.

Uh huh......at roughly 200 miles away----Birmingham is a convenient roadie for Memphis.  Yet UAB is such an incredibly attractive opponent for Memphis that the Tigers have scheduled them exactly ZERO times since leaving CUSA.  Furthermore, Memphis finds that game so attractive, they have NOT YET bothered to place them on the schedule in the future---despite already having some OOC games planned out as far out as 2029.  Since leaving CUSA, Houston has played no games against UAB--nor or any planned.   SMU, since leaving CUSA,  has played no games against UAB--nor or any planned.    Tulane played one home-and home vs UAB since they left CUSA---but has scheduled S Alabama twice as much since the start of the AAC in 2013.  Tulane has no future games planned vs UAB.   

The back half of a home and home vs Tulane (set for 2021) is the only game any AAC team has scheduled against UAB..  Other than one game against Tulane---no other AAC school has played or bothered to schedule UAB since the AAC started in 2013.   That should tell you all you need to know about how attractive the AAC schools find games against UAB.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...