Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bsu_alum9

Sears to Boise

6 hours ago, SUDSFan said:

100% serious here. I think your staff is making a big mistake taking him. When the guy was being heavily courted by SDSU, there were rumblings from within USC that he's a malcontent. I disregarded them at the time because of SDSU's deep need for a quality QB and because Sears wasn't the only USC QB about which such rumors were floating around. However, I've lost count of how many schools Sears has been pulling up his skirt to since bailing on the Aztecs. Does the kid have physical skills? Absolutely. However, given how vital leadership is at the QB position and the fact Bachmeier is similarly talented but isn't a head case, I don't get it.

Supposedly switched when Rocky retired from the gig.  Little birdy says that SDSU got a QB transfer too, same time.   One who Boise was more than a little interested in.  Swap?

23 hours ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Isn't there a rule that grad transfers can only happen if the athlete enrolls in a new degree program that isn't offered at his previous school?

I guess the one thing he learned at USC was to plan for life after football... and truck driving is a very respectable profession.

It’s damn good money too. I have several clients that are truck drivers and all of them make well over six figures.

17 hours ago, roughrider said:

Supposedly switched when Rocky retired from the gig.  Little birdy says that SDSU got a QB transfer too, same time.   One who Boise was more than a little interested in.  Swap?

Sears didn't decommit until almost three weeks after Rocky retired as HC whereas the announcement that Hoke had hired Jeff Hecklinski to be OC came just three days after Sears decommitted and rumors about Hecklinski had been circulating for a week or so before that. As to Lucas Johnson transferring to SDSU, that didn't happen until more than a month after Sears decommitted.

If Boise was very interested in Johnson, that's news to me and also quite surprising. Granted Johnson had some injury problems but in two years on the active roster at Georgia Tech, half of his career passing yardage and his sole TD pass came against the Citadel. As befits AztecMesa, a bunch of people there were geeked up about his coming but that's because homies are way overrated on that board. The starting job this year is Carson Baker's to lose and given his inexperience, that just could happen. However, Hoke likes how hard Baker has worked and the kid still has three years of eligibility left. Add to that word that Hecklinski are still looking around for a senior transfer so personally, I expect Johnson's production at SDSU to be little more than it was at GA Tech.

23 minutes ago, SUDSFan said:

Sears didn't decommit until almost three weeks after Rocky retired as HC whereas the announcement that Hoke had hired Jeff Hecklinski to be OC came just three days after Sears decommitted and rumors about Hecklinski had been circulating for a week or so before that. As to Lucas Johnson transferring to SDSU, that didn't happen until more than a month after Sears decommitted.

If Boise was very interested in Johnson, that's news to me and also quite surprising. Granted Johnson had some injury problems but in two years on the active roster at Georgia Tech, half of his career passing yardage and his sole TD pass came against the Citadel. As befits AztecMesa, a bunch of people there were geeked up about his coming but that's because homies are way overrated on that board. The starting job this year is Carson Baker's to lose and given his inexperience, that just could happen. However, Hoke likes how hard Baker has worked and the kid still has three years of eligibility left. Add to that word that Hecklinski are still looking around for a senior transfer so personally, I expect Johnson's production at SDSU to be little more than it was at GA Tech.

Heard he was invited for a visit to Boise and was scheduled, then committed to SDSU.   Harsin won't offer a visit if he isn't real interested.

On 5/18/2020 at 7:36 PM, KingBronco said:

Yeah, pretty interesting BSU went after Sears. On one hand, we would have had some serious QB depth issues if Bach and Cord were to both get injured again next year.

On the other hand, I'm pretty curious what those two guys think about bringing in a high level transfer and how they will react to Sears coming in. Conversely, I wonder why Sears chose Boise with so much competition for playing time. This will definitely make for the most competitive fall camp QB battle since BSU went FBS...all 3 of those guys could start at a bunch of schools.

Good luck with him.  My nephew plays for USC.  Team had to play Sears.  At the goal line they run a Run Pass Option.  The Run was an easy walk in but Sears pulls the ball and forces a throw for a pick.   

Absolutely fantastic reasoning for Sears not being a capable QB.

So Sears doesn't make a correct read as a RS freshman starting his first game ever against a PAC-12 opponent. Yeah, he obviously sucks...every other QB in D1 history making their first start as a freshman has never made a mistake, so this is proof positive he is garbage.

I look forward to you sharing more of your sterling intellect on this board in the future.

2 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Good luck with him.  My nephew plays for USC.  Team had to play Sears.  At the goal line they run a Run Pass Option.  The Run was an easy walk in but Sears pulls the ball and forces a throw for a pick.   

He would be the starter the second he stepped foot on campus at Fresno.

2 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Nah we have our own PAC-12 transfer in Haener

A poor version of Sears.  There is a reason every SDSU poster here was ++++ing their pants thinking Sears was going to play for them and be their QB.  The two really are not comparable talents.  Sears has NFL athletic ability, he just sucks at reading a defense.  Haener is a short, skinny, weak armed 3 star QB transfer who also sucks at reading a defense.  Sears would be the starter for Fresno, literally the minute he signed.

18 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

A poor version of Sears.  There is a reason every SDSU poster here was ++++ing their pants thinking Sears was going to play for them and be their QB.  The two really are not comparable talents.  Sears has NFL athletic ability, he just sucks at reading a defense.  Haener is a short, skinny, weak armed 3 star QB transfer who also sucks at reading a defense.  Sears would be the starter for Fresno, literally the minute he signed.

Haener actually reads defenses pretty well but yeah he is short and slow.   Boise of all teams should know NFL QB “athletes” don’t always win at the collegiate level.    

I remember very well what Dinwiddie, who Pat Hill thought was too un-Athletic, did to Carr and Pinegar.  Both NFL caliber athletes.

Thinking about it, Harsin does remind me a bit of Hill.   

3 hours ago, KingBronco said:

Absolutely fantastic reasoning for Sears not being a capable QB.

So Sears doesn't make a correct read as a RS freshman starting his first game ever against a PAC-12 opponent. Yeah, he obviously sucks...every other QB in D1 history making their first start as a freshman has never made a mistake, so this is proof positive he is garbage.

I look forward to you sharing more of your sterling intellect on this board in the future.

Who said he was garbage.  But it was a pretty simple read he missed.   I hope he does well but I wouldn’t assume he is the savior.   

2 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Who said he was garbage.  But it was a pretty simple read he missed.   I hope he does well but I wouldn’t assume he is the savior.   

We do not need a savior.  We already have far and away the best QB in the conference.  Sears is depth.  Simple fact, we have 3 QB's that would be starters for most of the conference.  And Bach would be the best player on any other team in the conference, not just a starter.

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

We do not need a savior.  We already have far and away the best QB in the conference.  Sears is depth.  Simple fact, we have 3 QB's that would be starters for most of the conference.  

Well good.  Perhaps you will finally get back to a New Years Day game. 

oh wait.....

Did I mention Harsin reminds me of Hill...

13 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Well good.  Perhaps you will finally get back to a New Years Day game. 

oh wait.....

Did I mention Harsin reminds me of Hill...

Harsin's record and accomplishments as Boise's HC, eclipses any Fresno coach in your programs history.  He has more top 25 finishes in his short history than Fresno does as a program.  And a NY6 win.

23 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Harsin's record and accomplishments as Boise's HC, eclipses any Fresno coach in your programs history.  He has more top 25 finishes in his short history than Fresno does as a program.  And a NY6 win.

Yeah he did great with Pete’s players.   Since then not so much 

15 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Yeah he did great with Pete’s players.   Since then not so much 

Wrong again.  He won a NY6 bowl taking over a team that was the worst Boise team in 20 years.  Then, with Pete's players had two poor years.  Since then he has three consecutive top 25 finishes.  In the last 3 years he has as many top 25 finishes as Fresno has had in their entire history of playing football.

Let that sink in.

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Wrong again.  He won a NY6 bowl taking over a team that was the worst Boise team in 20 years.  Then, with Pete's players had two poor years.  Since then he has three consecutive top 25 finishes.  In the last 3 years he has as many top 25 finishes as Fresno has had in their entire history of playing football.

Let that sink in.

Glad you love him.  I think you should keep him forever.

23 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Glad you love him.  I think you should keep him forever.

Sure.

Do you realize how dumb your Pat Hill comparison is now, though?  Harsin had two bad years with Pete's recruits, other than he turns out a top 25 teams.  Every year.