Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

MW Basketball Moving to 20 Conference Games

What this does is decreases flexibility.  Can’t schedule Arizona if you hands are tied playing Wyoming in an early game,  without being flexible your chances of playing better opponents goes down.  So that one or two marquee home games go bye bye and your left with nothing but dregs.  This hurts the conference more than it helps just because some schools don’t want to put in the work to schedule.  Fu%k those seven ADs

38 minutes ago, BSC said:

What this does is decreases flexibility.  Can’t schedule Arizona if you hands are tied playing Wyoming in an early game,  without being flexible your chances of playing better opponents goes down.  So that one or two marquee home games go bye bye and your left with nothing but dregs.  This hurts the conference more than it helps just because some schools don’t want to put in the work to schedule.  Fu%k those seven ADs

The Pac12 is going to 20 games, a game against Arizona will be hard to get regardless.

4 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

The Pac12 is going to 20 games, a game against Arizona will be hard to get regardless.

It was always hard to get..This vote doesn't make it any easier to get games..It was a cost saving move for some schools.  It might helps a few, thoughI don't see how, but it definitely hurts schools as well.  But majority rules and 7 schools voted yes and 4 voted no.  It is done..

9 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

It was always hard to get..This vote doesn't make it any easier to get games..It was a cost saving move for some schools.  It might helps a few, thoughI don't see how, but it definitely hurts schools as well.  But majority rules and 7 schools voted yes and 4 voted no.  It is done..

Yea, you don’t like it, I get it. Agree to disagree. Anyways, as you said, it’s done. 

16 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Yea, you don’t like it, I get it. Agree to disagree. Anyways, as you said, it’s done. 

It doesn't matter if I like it or not.  4 schools didn't like it.   If this was a no brainer great decision with no school being hurt it would have been unanimous.  MW schools rarely see eye to eye but the 7 yes votes make a pretty good voting block..I wonder if there was some horse trading between those 7 schools to get this through 

Guest #1Stunner

I'm officially offering sanctuary to SDSU in the WCC

SDSU----come join your little sister, USD, in the WCC.

Guest #1Stunner

Never would have predicted when BYU joined the WCC that it would become the stronger, better basketball conference.

But that has actually happened.  WOW!

WCC > MWC

3 hours ago, nvspuds said:

It doesn't matter if I like it or not.  4 schools didn't like it.   If this was a no brainer great decision with no school being hurt it would have been unanimous.  MW schools rarely see eye to eye but the 7 yes votes make a pretty good voting block..I wonder if there was some horse trading between those 7 schools to get this through 

And it doesn’t really matter that 4 schools didn’t like it, because it’s done and those 4 schools aren’t going anywhere.

7 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

And it doesn’t really matter that 4 schools didn’t like it, because it’s done and those 4 schools aren’t going anywhere.

I agree..The MW has never been one big happy family.  Just a marriage of convenience. This helps, not at all..

1 hour ago, nvspuds said:

I agree..The MW has never been one big happy family.  Just a marriage of convenience. This helps, not at all..

Yea, most college conferences are marriages of convenience. 

No SDSU-USD contest this year.  Perhaps the Toreros will start a series with UCSD :hmmm:

Couldn’t the schools that don’t play twice that season just taken it upon themselves to schedule a “non-conference game” if they both had scheduling issues? Why create a rule that many school oppose when there’s that work around?  

4 hours ago, Ram1554 said:

Couldn’t the schools that don’t play twice that season just taken it upon themselves to schedule a “non-conference game” if they both had scheduling issues? Why create a rule that many school oppose when there’s that work around?  

I don’t think the conference allows it.  I could be wrong though.

4 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

The reason we went to 20 games is because for most of the conference members, getting a Power conference team to come to your house or even doing a home & home is near impossible. A 20 game conference makes since. Schedule more mid-majors: WCC, A10, Missouri Valley, Big West, C-USA, OVU, and AAC teams and you should be fine with your conference play, the seasonal tournaments, and the power conference teams you play at their house.

Also, I'm fine that we are no longer scheduling the Eastern Oregon's, and the Bilings Sewing College's of the world. We should play D1 only in hoops and football.

This had nothing to do with getting power conference home games.  This was a budget move.  Conference teams don't require a guarantee to come and play at your arena. SDSU and UNLV will still get good games at home, including P5 schools.  Most years NV gets them too.  This new rule will not make it any easier for MW schools to get good home games.  The challenges to getting good home games remain exactly the same as before.  

We've beat to death the affect on the OOC games(don't think it should affect the good home games you are getting just drop the D2 games if you want) but I haven't heard anything about the other side of it. It creates an actual completely fair competition for the league title. Every team plays each other twice, a true round robin. I like that. Its fair and how it should be.

1 minute ago, tspoke said:

We've beat to death the affect on the OOC games(don't think it should affect the good home games you are getting just drop the D2 games if you want) but I haven't heard anything about the other side of it. It creates an actual completely fair competition for the league title. Every team plays each other twice, a true round robin. I like that. Its fair and how it should be.

I agree that losing the non D-1 games is good.  One of the downsides is non D-1 schools require less money to come play at your gym.  Generally t runs about 30 grand.  In addition, though the crowd might be smaller you still get the gate.  D-1 schools usually get 100 grand and above.  As for the round robin thing.  That is fair but the reality is the automatic is guaranteed to the winner of the MW Tourney.  The regular season determines the seed for that tourney.  The top 5 get a bye so the the regular season champ gets the best seed but no real advantage as they will still have to win games against good teams to get the bid

At large bids are mostly dependent on how you do out of conference.

11 minutes ago, tspoke said:

It will never be truly fair even with a true round robin.  Players get injured, teams run hot and cold, etc.

18 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

This had nothing to do with getting power conference home games.  This was a budget move.  Conference teams don't require a guarantee to come and play at your arena. SDSU and UNLV will still get good games at home, including P5 schools.  Most years NV gets them too.  This new rule will not make it any easier for MW schools to get good home games.  The challenges to getting good home games remain exactly the same as before.  

Bullshit. When the Pac12 and other Power conferences expand their conference schedules, there won't be as many opportunities available. I know you''re "math challenged" but this is really pretty simple; it will become more difficult to schedule good OOC games, both home and away.

Why don't you mention this fact in any of your posts?

5 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

I agree that losing the non D-1 games is good.  One of the downsides is non D-1 schools require less money to come play at your gym.  Generally t runs about 30 grand.  In addition, though the crowd might be smaller you still get the gate.  D-1 schools usually get 100 grand and above.  As for the round robin thing.  That is fair but the reality is the automatic is guaranteed to the winner of the MW Tourney.  The regular season determines the seed for that tourney.  The top 5 get a bye so the the regular season champ gets the best seed but no real advantage as they will still have to win games against good teams to get the bid

At large bids are mostly dependent on how you do out of conference.

I understand how the conference tourney works. Winning the regular season still matters. IMO it matters more than winning the tournament(yes I realize winning the tournament gets you the autobid its extremely rare for the regular season champ to be left out). The regular season title is the true conference champ in my eyes. It takes a lot to win that over several moths instead of getting hot over a couple days. I look higher on the Bailey, Davis Cowboys team than I do the Nance, Adams team. I love college basketball conference season, its so much fun. You get to see players more than once, you get to see how your team has grown or adapts when they see a team again. On a related side note, I wonder about the possibility of bring back travel partners. I really liked that back in the early 2000's when you knew you had BYU, Utah one week, then UNLV SDSU another. Probably doesn't make as much sense now especially since we probably wont be playing Thursday, Saturday games most weeks.

4 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Bullshit. When the Pac12 and other Power conferences expand their conference schedules, there won't be as many opportunities available. I know you''re "math challenged" but this is really pretty simple; it will become more difficult to schedule good OOC games, both home and away.

Why don't you mention this fact in any of your posts?

I agree..There won't be many opportunities to get P5 games.  Maybe UNLV and SDSU will get a few but probably not the rest of us.  However, there will still be plenty of mid and low majors out there so filling a schedule will not be hard for some schools.  However, it will still be hard for most of us to get good home games for  a variety of reasons and that has always been the case.  This doesn't change that.

But in defense of the change.  This does level the MW and is probably the fairest way to go.  Vegas and San Diego are destination spots and that gives them some advantage in getting home games.  This will save schools some money as they will have 1 or 2 less buy games and that helps the bottom line.

I actually think losing the non D-1 games hurts a bit because their guarantees are lower.  Schools that really wish to build an at large schedule may have to do a few more road games,  If you can't get good schools to your place, which is often the case you might  have to go on the road to get  that good win.