Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

MW Basketball Moving to 20 Conference Games

It’s true, 20 conference games, 7 non-conference plus a tournament.  Not sure if it’s this year only.  

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

Also all games must be D1 except for exhibition game.

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

40 minutes ago, 1IvyDog said:

Also all games must be D1 except for exhibition game.

Does this mean everybody in the league gets to avoid playing SJSU?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Does this mean everybody in the league gets to avoid playing SJSU?

Bad idea for the conference.  There will still be teams bitching about not being able to fill in their schedule.  I didn’t hear about the non-D1 opponents, but I support that rule.

4 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

I am amazed that a mid major conference like the MW is doing this.  There is zero upside to this.  It just makes scheduling harder.

Needing to schedule fewer teams is harder?

1 minute ago, MWC Tex said:

All the other conferences have gone 20 games so in not surprising the MW follows.

The article said the MW is the first mid major to do this.  I will be surprised if any other mid majors follow suit..

15 minutes ago, SpartanDude said:

Needing to schedule fewer teams is harder?

If you have 20 conference games the season could start sooner.  Match ups are hard to get as is  but you just make it harder when you have to cram your occ games into a shorter window.  Open dates are really valuable in ooc scheduling and the MW just gave away 2..It makes little sense to me..

16 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

The article said the MW is the first mid major to do this.  I will be surprised if any other mid majors follow suit..

https://www.wtol.com/article/sports/major-changes-coming-to-mid-american-conference/512-0e4f0d45-546b-432f-89a1-67a5a6d8fe3c

See this article, besides changing the tournament the MAC is going to 20 games and removing divisions in basketball.

Besides, it was going to happen sooner or later. The P5 conferences are moving to 20 games so that only squeezes the opportunities to play those types of teams.

Hold on.  If the MW is a multibid league - and it is - how is this a bad thing?  You all reduce the number of cupcake ooc matchups, which leads to better comp rankings.

And besides, y'all have BYU and the A10 challenge

3 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Hold on.  If the MW is a multibid league - and it is - how is this a bad thing?  You all reduce the number of cupcake ooc matchups, which leads to better comp rankings.

And besides, y'all have BYU and the A10 challenge

This doesn't remove the cupcakes.  There will still be plenty of those.  But it does hurt the schools who have no problem getting ooc games.  

28 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

If you have 20 conference games the season could start sooner.  Match ups are hard to get as is  but you just make it harder when you have to cram your occ games into a shorter window.  Open dates are really valuable in ooc scheduling and the MW just gave away 2..It makes little sense to me..

Wouldn't be a bad idea to sprinkle in an ooc game or two during conference play, to break the routine.  Mix things up a little.

3 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Wouldn't be a bad idea to sprinkle in an ooc game or two during conference play, to break the routine.  Mix things up a little.

You have to have the other schools willing to do it in the middle of their conference season.  Not impossible but not easy.  

7 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

You have to have the other schools willing to do it in the middle of their conference season.  Not impossible but not easy.  

The A10 challenge would fit in nicely.   Or a nearby opponent (ex Boise @ Pacific on a Thurs, then a game at Fresno on Saturday).  There's time to explore options.