Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

Gary Numan Appreciation Thread

OK, everyone knows and loves the Cars song back around 1979. He started off with Tubeway Army, and then went solo. There’s a lot of old tunes that are really good. For you youngsters, doing what he was doing with electronic music back then looks a bit silly today, but it was actually very ground breaking. You had Kraftwerk which were unique with the music, but Numan really kept it weird enough to be cool and still get some air time. 

Here’s a hilarious video. The song went on for 2 minutes too long, but his android persona sold it well. They were actually signed with a major label as a punk rock band, then they started experimenting with electronic music and found it more unique interesting. So imagine a major label seeing this when they presented them with their new sound and image. The label freaked, but they ended up keeping them. They needed a drummer and Numan called up his older uncle, and that’s him in the video. One of the biggest Numan fans is Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails) and they’ve been working together. 

kat.jpg

Mudder's theme song

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

7 hours ago, bsubroncochick said:

I actually really liked the flip side of the Cars single—Metal. Gary Numan=good stuff!

Metal is a cool song. A lot of them are. There’s a vid on YouTube of him doing Metal & Cars on stage with Nine Inch Nails at the O2 Arena in London a few years or so back. 

Even his new stuff is really great.

Haunted 

A Prayer for the Unborn

I Die, You Die

Down In the Park (A more modern version of his original from 1979) Foo Fighters and M. Manson have covered it.

......And a bunch of others. Some of his songs have old school synth sounds, and others have a more modern digital NIN kind of vibe.

Haunted Live in Sydney. He looks a little crazy when you look at him on stage, but that’s no act, he is a tad bit crazy which is perfect for music like that. This is a really good song:

kat.jpg

1 hour ago, bsubroncochick said:

OK. That was great!  I really liked that song.  I hadn’t thought about Gary Newman for years, but now I’m going to check out his new stuff.  I’m a big NIN fan too, so this works out great! Thanks Convert!

Here’s “A Prayer For the Unborn”. They had to use fertilization to get his wife pregnant. They were so excited, but just weeks before delivery, the baby died. Of course they were devastated and triggered him into a major depression. He’s been an atheist for a long time, but it sounds like he was getting close to believing and he and his wife said many prayers for the baby. When it died, he had a few holy rollers he knew try to make him feel better by saying that for some reason God decided to call the baby home to heaven way early. That really set him off, and the song is basically a fvck you to God for not answering their prayers for the baby to be born healthy.  If you look above the stage, the sonogram on the video screen is actually their baby’s before it died. So it’s pretty intense. 

It’s kind of interesting that in some songs, he pauses, then continues the song. 

kat.jpg

10 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Are you a Mudder? 

'82

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 5/19/2020 at 11:11 PM, bsubroncochick said:

OK. That was great!  I really liked that song.  I hadn’t thought about Gary Newman for years, but now I’m going to check out his new stuff.  I’m a big NIN fan too, so this works out great! Thanks Convert!

What do you think of that song “The Fall”.  That’s seems to be very NIN oriented. 

kat.jpg

I actually have liked all the ones you’ve posted.  Actually quite a bit of variety in them. I hadn’t realized he was still around making music until you started this, so it’s been fun to relive the good ol’ days as well as check out the new stuff.