Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

happycamper

Hong Kong Coup

"China is asshole!"

1 hour ago, bigd said:

I think China is going to be a lot more aggressive now that they feel like they have little to lose post-corona virus.

I definitely worry about the future of Hong Kong and Taiwan. My best friend is from Hong Kong, and stories like these just destroy the morale of the populous. I hope the UK/Canada/US/Australia open up more immigration possibilities for Hong Kong democracy supporters.

Although, just playing devil's advocate; I do find it a bit the hypocritical the way the west reacted to Catalonia wanting independence from Spain compared to HK/Taiwan.

I think the distinction with Cataluna is they were revolting from a democratically elected government rather than an authoritarian one. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

1 hour ago, bigd said:

I think China is going to be a lot more aggressive now that they feel like they have little to lose post-corona virus.

I definitely worry about the future of Hong Kong and Taiwan. My best friend is from Hong Kong, and stories like these just destroy the morale of the populous. I hope the UK/Canada/US/Australia open up more immigration possibilities for Hong Kong democracy supporters.

Although, just playing devil's advocate; I do find it a bit the hypocritical the way the west reacted to Catalonia wanting independence from Spain compared to HK/Taiwan.

Did I miss the videos in Catalonia where elected representatives were physically carried out before the vote to transfer power?

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

18 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Did I miss the videos in Catalonia where elected representatives were physically carried out before the vote to transfer power?

before the unanimous vote, at that. 

Also, everyone remember when Catalonia was a mostly self governing territory of Australia for 150 years before reverting to Spanish control by treaty? 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

5 minutes ago, happycamper said:

before the unanimous vote, at that. 

Also, everyone remember when Catalonia was a mostly self governing territory of Australia for 150 years before reverting to Spanish control by treaty? 

Crikey!

1 hour ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

On January 1, 2017 if you’d told me the United States of America would become a banana republic just 3 1/2 years later, I’d have called you a nutter and told you to have more faith in the health of our republic.

source.gif

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

15 hours ago, RamSack said:

We already know Trump doesn’t give a shit. His lack of support for the Hong Kong demonstrators last year paved the way for this.

Past administrations haven’t been doing squat in dealing with the quickly growing threat of China. While China has been busy building military bases all over the world, you have guys like Biden laughing at anyone that suggests China is a threat to us. 

Economically, Trump has had the balls to try a tariff war to reel China in on the massive imbalance, as well as them stealing everything they can from us including bootlegs of every good product that has value including films, music, designs that are copyright protected, stealing military secrets, etc. Just with the tariff war and the added talk of our government and private companies pulling manufacturing in China to other countries has China now making threats of war.  They now have the capability of destroying our military and corporate satellites in orbit. Imagine the chaos that would cause. 

Militarily, Trump requested that our top generals make recommendations as to what changes needed to be made to focus on the real threats in the world today. That meant putting old programs on the chopping block and creating new programs that make sense. They were also tasked to highlight areas where China was surpassing our capabilities, particularly the dangerous ones. Trump received the report with the costs, and he increased the military budget by about $125 billion IIRC. It’s a significant increase. Obama was asleep at the wheel w/China.

All of the above mentioned has been a huge increase in threat to China, militarily and economically. He’s tried to be diplomatic with Beijing and keep a friendly relationship with them on a personal basis because to China his policies have been nearly worthy of war to some of the old hard liners there. So Trump has to walk a fine line with Taiwan. We’re bound by treaty to protect Taiwan in the case of a Chinese military invasion. This is essentially the same thing, so we have to do something together with our allies, and we will. 

kat.jpg

12 hours ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

On January 1, 2017 if you’d told me the United States of America would become a banana republic just 3 1/2 years later, I’d have called you a nutter and told you to have more faith in the health of our republic.

WTF is wrong with you? 

kat.jpg

2 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Past administrations haven’t been doing squat in dealing with the quickly growing threat of China. While China has been busy building military bases all over the world, you have guys like Biden laughing at anyone that suggests China is a threat to us. 

Economically, Trump has had the balls to try a tariff war to reel China in on the massive imbalance, as well as them stealing everything they can from us including bootlegs of every good product that has value including films, music, designs that are copyright protected, stealing military secrets, etc. Just with the tariff war and the added talk of our government and private companies pulling manufacturing in China to other countries has China now making threats of war.  They now have the capability of destroying our military and corporate satellites in orbit. Imagine the chaos that would cause. 

Militarily, Trump requested that our top generals make recommendations as to what changes needed to be made to focus on the real threats in the world today. That meant putting old programs on the chopping block and creating new programs that make sense. They were also tasked to highlight areas where China was surpassing our capabilities, particularly the dangerous ones. Trump received the report with the costs, and he increased the military budget by about $125 billion IIRC. It’s a significant increase. Obama was asleep at the wheel w/China.

All of the above mentioned has been a huge increase in threat to China, militarily and economically. He’s tried to be diplomatic with Beijing and keep a friendly relationship with them on a personal basis because to China his policies have been nearly worthy of war to some of the old hard liners there. So Trump has to walk a fine line with Taiwan. We’re bound by treaty to protect Taiwan in the case of a Chinese military invasion. This is essentially the same thing, so we have to do something together with our allies, and we will. 

It’s not the same thing. If Trump gave a shit about Hong Kong, then he would’ve made statements followed by actions to back it up. He’s done nothing.

19 hours ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

Go to an actual banana republic sometime, and see if you have that same reaction. I'm guessing you won't. People like you are the assholes who go to places like Jamaica, and stay at a resort the whole time behind a wall to keep the natives away, and then come back and act like an expert on the social problems faced by poor natives. Scum.

11 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Go to an actual banana republic sometime, and see if you have that same reaction. I'm guessing you won't. People like you are the assholes who go to places like Jamaica, and stay at a resort the whole time behind a wall to keep the natives away, and then come back and act like an expert on the social problems faced by poor natives. Scum.

Our elitist experts dont really need to go anywhere to know what is best for their subjects.

22 hours ago, RamSack said:

We already know Trump doesn’t give a shit. His lack of support for the Hong Kong demonstrators last year paved the way for this.

Why to you care ?  You leftists are sitting back and CHEERING for the Tinpot Blue State fascist governors deploying goon squads to arrest barbers and Stasi "tip lines" where citizens can turn in their neighbors in the name of protecting you from catching a phucking cold.

If Cuomo were using the same tactics on bar patrons in lower Manhattan, you'd be clamoring to make him the Democrat presidential nominee.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

37 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Why to you care ?  You leftists are sitting back and CHEERING for the Tinpot Blue State fascist governors deploying goon squads to arrest barbers and Stasi "tip lines" where citizens can turn in their neighbors in the name of protecting you from catching a phucking cold.

If Cuomo were using the same tactics on bar patrons in lower Manhattan, you'd be clamoring to make him the Democrat presidential nominee.

... bar patrons in lower manhattan decide the president?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

59 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

nobody wants to go to florida right now joe

10 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

You're wrong. But what else is new?

you can't take a ribbing about your own circumstances, 

although if I were used to your lifestyle I'd be pretty +++++ing pissy right now too. If this had happened when I was 23 I'd have been volcanically pissed (not that I think you're immature or whatever but after having kids for almost 6 years now my life pattern is not where yours is)

8 minutes ago, Jackrabbit said:

What would Joe do?....LOL.

The reasoning man who rejects the superstitions of simpletons necessarily becomes their enemy; he must expect as much and be prepared to laugh at the consequences.