Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

happycamper

Hong Kong Coup

All pro democracy legislators forcibly removed by security guards prior to a vote. Pro Beijing Starry Lee elected 40-0 as chairperson. 

It's time to do something drastic. Remove most favored nation trading status, recognize Taiwan, something. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

4 minutes ago, happycamper said:

All pro democracy legislators forcibly removed by security guards prior to a vote. Pro Beijing Starry Lee elected 40-0 as chairperson. 

It's time to do something drastic. Remove most favored nation trading status, recognize Taiwan, something. 

We already know Trump doesn’t give a shit. His lack of support for the Hong Kong demonstrators last year paved the way for this.

4 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I call bullshit on this happening in either regard. 

He did when Trump had prison reform. Up and gave props. I believe you were even on the board when it happened. 

So... typical soupslam post, I suppose. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

48 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Both please. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

Just now, NorCalCoug said:

How many were forcibly removed?  Was it enough to overcome the 40 votes in favor?  Still BS, just curious.

After a quick google, there are 70 members. So no. 

That means either they intimidated enough members to vote their way, or they knew they had the votes anyway and wanted to send the message that the votes do not matter. I bet the second.

I think China is going to be a lot more aggressive now that they feel like they have little to lose post-corona virus.

I definitely worry about the future of Hong Kong and Taiwan. My best friend is from Hong Kong, and stories like these just destroy the morale of the populous. I hope the UK/Canada/US/Australia open up more immigration possibilities for Hong Kong democracy supporters.

Although, just playing devil's advocate; I do find it a bit the hypocritical the way the west reacted to Catalonia wanting independence from Spain compared to HK/Taiwan.

28 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

I was in like fifth grade so old enough to get a sense of how effed up the world then was and it remained that way until Nixon finally pulled us out of Vietnam in '73 or whenever. If I understand you correctly, I agree that the way things have been going, we could be only at the early stages of a similar half dozen years of concerns about a possible world war and we now have people who think putting military hardware up in space is a good idea? JFC.

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

Please wait at least until 95% of medications can be produced elsewhere. 

Just now, soupslam1 said:

Please wait at least until 95% of medications can be produced elsewhere. 

Yeah authoritarians always have a reason why it's too painful to ever defend democracy and then wonder why the world looks increasingly darker.

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

He did when Trump had prison reform. Up and gave props. I believe you were even on the board when it happened. 

So... typical soupslam post, I suppose. 

There are even receipts... and I stand by what I said.