Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NorthWestCowboy

Forty years ago today.........

I remember I was attending a SoCal juco at the time and working part-time in a Carquest auto parts store. In the days and weeks to follow, air filters for cars were difficult to restock.

110926run_defense710.jpg

I was in first grade and while I don't remember the eruption itself I do remember my teacher taking us outside to look at the thin layer of ash on the cars parked at my school.  This was in southwestern South Dakota and I remember being very impressed at how far that ash cloud had traveled.  Later, that summer while at a rock show with my grandparents I bought a little vial of Mt. Saint Helens ash supposedly collected in Idaho.  It could have easily been ash from a fireplace for all I knew but this is one of the first major events I remember as a child.

9 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

I was in first grade and while I don't remember the eruption itself I do remember my teacher taking us outside to look at the thin layer of ash on the cars parked at my school.  This was in southwestern South Dakota and I remember being very impressed at how far that ash cloud had traveled.  Later, that summer while at a rock show with my grandparents I bought a little vial of Mt. Saint Helens ash supposedly collected in Idaho.  It could have easily been ash from a fireplace for all I knew but this is one of the first major events I remember as a child.

Same...I lived in Newcastle, WY and remember ash all over the car etc...  Pretty amazing