Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

Conversations Around Prepping for The Second Wave

Recommended Posts

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/16/second-wave-coronavirus-europe-winter-uk/ 

Maybe the second wave of coronavirus is a topic most of us can get aligned on...? There seems to be a consensus amongst the medical and science community that there will be a second wave, likely this coming fall/winter. So with that, is there some common ground the teams and shit crew can discuss and even agree to in preparation for such an event? 

For me, the conversations should start with the basics, such as:

  • Federal, state, and municipal governments stocking up on PPE, medications, tests, and essential life saving equipment -- in addition to coming up with advanced plans to address how to properly lower infection rates while not destroying the economy and trampling over the rights of the people 
  • Financial institutions strategizing for ways to keep money circulating while mitigating the catastrophic damage a second wave could bring
  • Households and individuals taking precautions by stocking up on adequate amount of food, paper products, disinfectants, and protective gear 
  • Businesses innovating and preparing their workforce, inventories, cash reserves, and day to day operations for more periodic interruptions 
  • A globally funded effort to discover and distribute a series of effective treatments and vaccines 

These are not "answers" but rather conversation starters. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You hit the nail on the head IMO.  Preparation should be the responsibility of all levels within our society (federal/state/local government, individuals/households, manufacturers, financial institutions, employers, employees, etc.) and not just the federal government. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the first two above. I'm just wondering, would putting the pedal to the metal reopening now, while protecting those at risk the best we can, all while sustaining decline .... Would that cause the second wave to be lower?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, modestobulldog said:

I agree with the first two above. I'm just wondering, would putting the pedal to the metal reopening now, while protecting those at risk the best we can, all while sustaining decline .... Would that cause the second wave to be lower?

It would keep death counts lower.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RamSack said:

Who will Trump blame for not being prepared for the second wave?

Response deleted, let's stay on topic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/16/second-wave-coronavirus-europe-winter-uk/ 

Maybe the second wave of coronavirus is a topic most of us can get aligned on...? There seems to be a consensus amongst the medical and science community that there will be a second wave, likely this coming fall/winter. So with that, is there some common ground the teams and shit crew can discuss and even agree to in preparation for such an event? 

For me, the conversations should start with the basics, such as:

  • Federal, state, and municipal governments stocking up on PPE, medications, tests, and essential life saving equipment -- in addition to coming up with advanced plans to address how to properly lower infection rates while not destroying the economy and trampling over the rights of the people 
  • Financial institutions strategizing for ways to keep money circulating while mitigating the catastrophic damage a second wave could bring
  • Households and individuals taking precautions by stocking up on adequate amount of food, paper products, disinfectants, and protective gear 
  • Businesses innovating and preparing their workforce, inventories, cash reserves, and day to day operations for more periodic interruptions 
  • A globally funded effort to discover and distribute a series of effective treatments and vaccines 

These are not "answers" but rather conversation starters. 

Is this even a conversation or an of course we should be doing the above?  It’s going to come and may hit harder nationally than the first wave.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/16/second-wave-coronavirus-europe-winter-uk/ 

Maybe the second wave of coronavirus is a topic most of us can get aligned on...? There seems to be a consensus amongst the medical and science community that there will be a second wave, likely this coming fall/winter. So with that, is there some common ground the teams and shit crew can discuss and even agree to in preparation for such an event? 

For me, the conversations should start with the basics, such as:

  • Federal, state, and municipal governments stocking up on PPE, medications, tests, and essential life saving equipment -- in addition to coming up with advanced plans to address how to properly lower infection rates while not destroying the economy and trampling over the rights of the people 
  • Financial institutions strategizing for ways to keep money circulating while mitigating the catastrophic damage a second wave could bring
  • Households and individuals taking precautions by stocking up on adequate amount of food, paper products, disinfectants, and protective gear 
  • Businesses innovating and preparing their workforce, inventories, cash reserves, and day to day operations for more periodic interruptions 
  • A globally funded effort to discover and distribute a series of effective treatments and vaccines 

These are not "answers" but rather conversation starters. 

Dammit here comes the toilet paper hoarding again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Do we open the schools? If we do, how many infections before we have to close them down again?

This is what I’m wondering about. I have a kid in school and another in daycare. Normally they get a few colds per year and go to school with runny nose/whatever as long as no fever.

I don’t think that’s going to be the case this year and I’m going to have to work at home with sorta sick kids all the time. I think that’s going to be much more of an issue for lower income people without paid sick leave. If state’s could pass some sort of temporary FMLA type of extra sick leave package it would probably help. 
 

This cold and flu season (mot even counting corona) is goong to put a huge strain on everything, because every little cold and people will assume the worst.

Hopefully the fact that most people are taking extreme precautions puts a damper on all of these.

How sweet would it be if we got a common cold vaccine out of all this?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Dammit here comes the toilet paper hoarding again. 

It hasn't stopped. I went to three different stores the other day but didn't find any. Thank goodness for paper towels. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, crixus said:

It hasn't stopped. I went to three different stores the other day but didn't find any. Thank goodness for paper towels. 

You can get paper towels and toilet paper in the stores here now. Disinfectants in just about every form are almost impossible to find. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

I agree with the first two above. I'm just wondering, would putting the pedal to the metal reopening now, while protecting those at risk the best we can, all while sustaining decline .... Would that cause the second wave to be lower?

Would not having shut down the economy and made everyone hide in caves prevented a second wave? probably.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

You can get paper towels and toilet paper in the stores here now. Disinfectants in just about every form are almost impossible to find. 

I just got back from the supermarket, drug store and the dollar store and I couldn't any of those either. Hoarders suck!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...