Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

It's time for reparations for decedents of slaves.

5 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I whine about giving people things that make them dependent. It’s one reason amongst many that black people find themselves where they are now. The Great Society was a classic example. In that case the road to hell was paved with good intentions. 

Black people are where they are because of centuries of enslavement followed by about a 100 years of legal discrimination. 

3 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

There are plenty of reasons but if I were to recommend one single thing it would be to focus on reducing the percentage of single mothers in ALL communities. Single mothers make of a huge percentage of the poor in this country.

There are no shortcuts in life.  There's something called the "Golden Sequence":

1. Go to school

2. Graduate

3. Gain a marketable skill

4 Get married

5. Have children

6. Stay married

If you do these things, in that order, you'll never be poor and you will build generational wealth.

This should form the basis for all public education along with money management skills and the discipline to show up and do your work, every day without fail.

So, bootstraps. 

7 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Black people are where they are because of centuries of enslavement followed by about a 100 years of legal discrimination. 

Are you related to Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson? You are doing black people a huge disservice by promoting victimhood. That they can never escape the hood because of racism and what happened centuries ago. 

47 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

So what do you think is the reason for the wide disparity in wealth between black and white people in the U.S.? 

How we got here is less important than how we proceed. Soup has covered it eloquently.  The formula starts with proper foundation as described in the Bible and other religions and traditions of old.  The poor (trancendant of race), best chance for elevated wealth is family stability preferably by biological parents in a committed lifelong marriage and education.

110926run_defense710.jpg

14 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

That is water under the bridge, can't change that.  Need to chart a new path.  The war on poverty, while having the best intentions has been an abismal failure.

110926run_defense710.jpg

12 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Are you related to Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson? You are doing black people a huge disservice by promoting victimhood. That they can never escape the hood because of racism and what happened centuries ago. 

I guess you have nothing else to offer then this “promoting victimhood” nonsense.

6 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

That is water under the bridge, can't change that.  Need to chart a new path.  The war on poverty, while having the best intentions has been an abismal failure.

That’s like cutting off a guys leg and making him race you in a foot race, and when he points out the leg you cut off replying with, “hey that’s water under the bridge, just suck it up and pull your self up by your bootstraps, I mean, bootstrap.” 

42 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

How we got here is less important than how we proceed. Soup has covered it eloquently.  The formula starts with proper foundation as described in the Bible and other religions and traditions of old.  The poor (trancendant of race), best chance for elevated wealth is family stability preferably by biological parents in a committed lifelong marriage and education.

1932 called, it wants its rhetoric back.

56 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

It’s bizarre this even needs to be explained. Generational wealth puts them so far behind they can’t catch up.

1 hour ago, IanforHeisman said:

It’s bizarre this even needs to be explained. Generational wealth puts them so far behind they can’t catch up.

So far all we’ve heard is why things are the way they are. How about offering some solutions. 

7 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

Wealth doesn't come from "benefits" like "free" college. Wealth is created by individuals that develop that develop the habits and discipline necessary to create it, maintain it and grow it. You can't make someone study. You can't make someone save and defer gratification. You can't make someone have the foresight to navigate a life full of pitfalls and setbacks and plan accordingly. 

This is the best post I have seen in a long time here.

The disparity of wealth in this country is generational and the biggest part is caused by broken families. Govt CAN NOT fix that by giving things away.

8 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

There weren’t nails salons in France because France couldn’t feed itself. We could, and those farmers could afford to buy luxury products and services because their farms weren’t swamped from broken dikes, littered with shell holes, and and strewn with maggot infested carcasses and people. Everyone they patronized had the expectation their would be more money coming in the future, so they got their wives nails done in San Francisco.

Until the public health crisis is resolved, American capitalism doesn’t work. If this thing comes back as bad as it appeared, there isn’t going to be any demand to fill 100k capacity football stadiums in the fall, no need to supply all the vendors, ushers, janitors, security guards and the like to facilitate something like that. Those out of work people will have little demand to go to restaurants and stores that at best can serve half capacity when their profit margins were already low, and the lessee will be breathing down the shop owners necks because they have their own bills. Nobody is going to be saving much to provide a Christmas spending boon to the economy.

And yeah, we’re probably not going about filling the gap with these spending bills in the most efficient way, but when does Congress ever act efficiently. And if in the next 8 months, after a haircut, we only spend $5 trillion it’ll either be a miracle or a complete disaster.  The money is not there! Its being thrown around as an illusion to keep us from saying to hell with it, sorry old and sick people, but I don’t know how I’m going to feed my kids if this goes on. There aren’t many taxes being collected to pay for all this, so it’s even worse than it seems. 

The house is burning. Put the fire out first. Don’t use the fire as an example of how it’s possible to rearrange the furniture.

why dont we have both GIF

7 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

The dollar rules supreme because our economy is very generally meritorious. Those who succeeded did so because that’s what their talent and hard work did for them. If the proposal is that the pandemic is a good opportunity to bulldoze all of that, let many of those that were succeeding fail so that everyone can start over, that economy by and large goes away. Nobody holds the dollar valuable simply because it has Washington, or Lincoln, or Hamilton, or Grant, or Franklin on the piece of paper. It’s valuable because the full faith and credit of the American economy is rightly seen as valuable, because it works. If the plan is to torch it to the ground because reasons, why tf would anybody have faith and credit in it when we clearly act like we don’t?

Winning Ww2 and the power to currently whoop that ass and being the only power in our hemisphere is a lot to do with dollar love.

9 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

“Free college forever?” What the hell is stopping you professor? Accreditation? You can teach that on your own for free. But a guy has to eat, right?

I do my community service by teaching you all on MWCBoard for free. 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

So far all we’ve heard is why things are the way they are. How about offering some solutions. '

I did.  That was the entire crux of the thread.  The irony, is all the posters here are the ones saying things can not be done while offering nothing more than "bootstraps" logic.

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I did.  That was the entire crux of the thread.  The irony, is all the posters here are the ones saying things can not be done while offering nothing more than "bootstraps" logic.

That’s not a solution. It’s a handout and we’ve seen what handouts have done to the black community. Millions have been poured into black communities and things have gotten worse instead of better. Baltimore is a prime example:

According to Baltimore's official budget reports, the city government itself has received $380 million in federal assistance over the last two fiscal years for operating and capital expenses.

I could get behind improving the education system in black communities. Provide monetary incentives for the best teachers to want to teach in black communities. Provide sufficient resource officers so teachers and students will be safe at school. 

23 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

As to what? Follow the thread and what I replied to when you quoted me, it’s precisely good faith.

No, it isn't. I'm not going to bother getting any more in to it and I'm probably not going to read past this post. I can see that most people aren't even willing to give it even a surface level consideration and I don't have the energy for this.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard.