Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

It's time for reparations for decedents of slaves.

6 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I think with this current spending spree there is less and less argument to be made that we simply can not do it.

An attempt needs to finally be made to make our black community whole.

We shouldn't do it.  Also we can't do it.  We can't even do the stupid spending spree we're on right now.

12 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

We shouldn't do it.  Also we can't do it.  We can't even do the stupid spending spree we're on right now.

We obviously can do all the deficit spending we've been doing for the last 35 years because it's done. I suppose there's a limit somewhere, but you need to tell me where that is before you can say no to more based on the "we can't afford it" argument. 

15 minutes ago, toonkee said:

We obviously can do all the deficit spending we've been doing for the last 35 years because it's done. I suppose there's a limit somewhere, but you need to tell me where that is before you can say no to more based on the "we can't afford it" argument. 

I think a few trillion directly into the pockets of our systemically disenfranchised would provide more economic benefit than all the tax cuts, tax hikes, budgets we as a country have ever implemented.  That money would go directly back into the economy, spent mostly locally.  It is a lot easier to "pull yourself up by your boot straps" if you feel you have a small safety net to take chances and make risks.

How can we argue that 5 trillion can be spent because people had a rough few months but similar money can not be spent after centuries of atrocities, Jim Crow, systemic racism directly been the root cause of accumulating generation wealth, etc...You can not reconcile the two.

Americans died by the hundreds of thousands in tge war to end slavery. We've already paid a high enough price. It's time the organizations responsible for establishing and maintaining slavery be held responsible:

West African slave traders

England

DemoKKKrats

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

50 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I think a few trillion directly into the pockets of our systemically disenfranchised would provide more economic benefit than all the tax cuts, tax hikes, budgets we as a country have ever implemented.  That money would go directly back into the economy, spent mostly locally.  It is a lot easier to "pull yourself up by your boot straps" if you feel you have a small safety net to take chances and make risks.

How can we argue that 5 trillion can be spent because people had a rough few months but similar money can not be spent after centuries of atrocities, Jim Crow, systemic racism directly been the root cause of accumulating generation wealth, etc...You can not reconcile the two.

We’re not spending 5 trillion because people had a “rough couple of months.” We’re doing it because if we don’t you’re going to have massive civil unrest, riots, widespread violence and a breakdown of law and order not seen since the mid-19th century. Using this calamity, where the economy was ordered to shut down to protect the most vulnerable in our society and the country overwhelmingly stepped up, as an excuse to argue in favor of a controversial policy you were already in favor of is beneath you.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

None of my ancestors lived in this country when the Civil War ended.

So I'm good.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

7 minutes ago, renoskier said:

They came here of their own free will. Big difference. 

What about Native Americans? And the Chinese may have come of their own free will, but they had the shit exploited out of them. I’m in no way in favor of reparations for any group, just making the argument that there are other groups just as deserving if we go down that road.

1 minute ago, sean327 said:

What about Native Americans? And the Chinese may have come of their own free will, but they had the shit exploited out of them. I’m in no way in favor of reparations for any group, just making the argument that there are other groups just as deserving if we go down that road.

He's just trying to build an early lead for next year's troll derby. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

4 minutes ago, sean327 said:

Other than the Native Americans, I disagree that there are any other groups who been systemically mistreated and discriminated against as much as the African American community.

Regarding Native Americans, I'd say the whole idea of giving them land for reservations was an attempt, a really shitty attempt, to redress some of the past grievances. Maybe we should do more for them also. 

5 minutes ago, Wyoguns said:

Doesn't change the fact that they were mistreated...where do you draw the line?

I think I just "drew" it. Residents who's ancestors were forcibly brought to this country and enslaved,  reparations. 

1 minute ago, renoskier said:

Other than the Native Americans, I disagree that there are any other groups who been systemically mistreated and discriminated against as much as the African American community.

Regarding Native Americans, I'd say the whole idea of giving them land for reservations was an attempt, a really shitty attempt, to redress some of the past grievances. Maybe we should do more for them also. 

The point is you can make the argument for any number of groups. What about the families in NM, TX, AZ, CO, CA, and NV that had their land stolen from them even though the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo recognized Spanish Land Grants as being valid? Unfortunately every minority group has been screwed and exploited, so if you pay for one the arguments never stop for the others. 

2 minutes ago, sean327 said:

The point is you can make the argument for any number of groups. What about the families in NM, TX, AZ, CO, CA, and NV that had their land stolen from them even though the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo recognized Spanish Land Grants as being valid? Unfortunately every minority group has been screwed and exploited, so if you pay for one the arguments never stop for the others. 

But no others were shackled, brought here, and enslaved against their will.

33 minutes ago, Wyoguns said:

What about the Chinese and the Irish that were mistreated during the same timeframe?  Should they be paid also?

Mistreated probably isn't the right comparison here.

Native Americans were enslaved by the Spanish, Mexicans, and Americans. The Chinese were basically slave labor for the railroads and mining industry. Every group has a valid argument for some type of reparation. We’ve sucked as a people for a long time in the way we’ve treated minorities. It’s a stain on our collective soul. We’ve come a long way since those days and we still have a long way to go. I’m just making the argument that if you pay to one and don’t pay to others, we will always remain divided. To me it’s an all or none proposition.