robe

Cord cutting at a record level

I just got a Roku stick for my birthday. It will be interesting to explore the options. 

I have a TCL Roku TV. I do get Sling TV during college football season and that's it. Everything else I find a stream for or I'll find the game on YouTube the next day. There is an account, his name is Matthew Loves Ball. He usually has every game on his channel within 48 hours.

I have a few friends pay for each service. We have someone pay for Netflix, someone pay for Hulu, someone pay for Amazon Video, and someone pay for Disney. Then share the accounts. Boom, everything for less than $20 a month.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ibanez said:

I have a TCL Roku TV. I do get Sling TV during college football season and that's it. Everything else I find a stream for or I'll find the game on YouTube the next day. There is an account, his name is Matthew Loves Ball. He usually has every game on his channel within 48 hours.

I have a few friends pay for each service. We have someone pay for Netflix, someone pay for Hulu, someone pay for Amazon Video, and someone pay for Disney. Then share the accounts. Boom, everything for less than $20 a month.

Oh come on... how the heck is a corporation suppose to survive with this kind of thinking!?!?

Oh yeah... got room for one more? I won’t  come empty-handed, I got HBONow!

This is way the MWC doesn’t get much money because you cheapskates. :)

On 5/15/2020 at 11:29 PM, robe said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/businesses-join-tv-cord-cutting-frenzy-amid-coronavirus-11589036400

with no live sports cord cutting at a record level. With 6 to 18 months of Covid 19 left will it ever come back. 

I finally dropped Dish for YoutubeTV. Half the price and I get everything I need. 

I dropped Direct TV for Youtube TV for the same reason.  I got what I needed for 1/3 what I was paying Direct. 

On 5/16/2020 at 2:23 AM, soupslam1 said:

I just got a Roku stick for my birthday. It will be interesting to explore the options. 

Download Stadium channel.  Since we are tied to that network.

22 hours ago, MWC Tex said:

Download Stadium channel.  Since we are tied to that network.

The Stadium app for Amazon Fire is terrible, doesn’t load half the time and when it does it freezes. 

Remember when people on this board were saying streaming was going to kill CFB tv money?...LMAO

8 hours ago, sean327 said:

The Stadium app for Amazon Fire is terrible, doesn’t load half the time and when it does it freezes. 

It works really well on AppleTv 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sean327 said:

Get a Roku 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 10:06 AM, Hoser said:

I dropped Direct TV for Youtube TV for the same reason.  I got what I needed for 1/3 what I was paying Direct. 

LOL Spectrum offered me an over the top service when I cancelled their over-priced crap cable service.

yeah.... no

There’s no way around it. Chord cutting will give you a crappier product just from the standpoint of picture quality. Depending on broadband demand at the time you’re watching TV, picture quality can suck. You always see pixelated shitty resolution changing channels or starting up. You get none of that from Dish and DTV unless there’s really bad weather. 

11 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

There’s no way around it. Chord cutting will give you a crappier product just from the standpoint of picture quality. Depending on broadband demand at the time you’re watching TV, picture quality can suck. You always see pixelated shitty resolution changing channels or starting up. You get none of that from Dish and DTV unless there’s really bad weather. 

You're doing it wrong.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 10:06 AM, Hoser said:

Did the same thing w Dish, so far so good! 

On 5/20/2020 at 4:47 AM, Nevada Convert said:

My picture quality actually improved when I ditched cable. It’s only been 6 months but extremely happy so far 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1IvyDog said:

My picture quality actually improved when I ditched cable. It’s only been 6 months but extremely happy so far 

I love my TCL Roku TVs. The only downside I see with streaming is how long shows take to load (~30 seconds) which makes switching between several games a little slow.

Wait till the new ATSC 3.0 broadcast standard rolls out (aka "4K"), it's gonna make everything else look like junk. It may already be started for all I know.

15 hours ago, Maynard Delecto said:

Wait till the new ATSC 3.0 broadcast standard rolls out (aka "4K"), it's gonna make everything else look like junk. It may already be started for all I know.

They are testing it in a couple markets.  It will be a slow transition over as both versions will be broadcasted over the air (estimates around 8 years) you’ll need to get a new TV with that capability...no converter box to my knowledge for this.

If I understand correctly this will be on a different spectrum and allow more channels even sub channels to be broadcasted in HD

I am shocked people still use Cable or Satellite TV services. I dumped them like 5 years ago for streaming services. I guess old habits die hard.