Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Del Scorcho

Both Gach to USU?

4 hours ago, Gator 82 said:

What are their first names?

What Zit, Tooya.  I believe

Guest #1Stunner
On 5/16/2020 at 11:49 AM, ole blu dude said:

Lonesome Larry makes $ 3,762,000 per season, so I guess the Pope makes $4 million ?

My understanding is that Pope makes $4.5M per year.

Guest #1Stunner
On 5/16/2020 at 4:55 PM, ole blu dude said:

The Pope has had a good year at YBU, but keep in mind what he inherited  a talented senior laden lineup, when he brought the best he had from UVU the stage was set. I would like to see how he does after a few seasons.

Good point.

But so far he has done an OK job recruiting.   He's also developed players and made them better.

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

Good point.

But so far he has done an OK job recruiting.   He's also developed players and made them better.

He very well may be a awesome coach for you people, but I always try to rate a coach after a few seasons of work.

7 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

If he makes $4.5M per year he is paid around 5th or 6th highest in the country. He better be damn good. 

He is trolling you. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, ole blu dude said:

If he makes $4.5M per year he is paid around 5th or 6th highest in the country. He better be damn good. 

I was just joking...

I have no idea how much Mark Pope makes.... Probably a lot less than that.

Also, no way does Utah's next coach (after Krysko is fired) get paid anything close to $4M a year.   They way overpaid for their basketball coach, and they regret it.  They had to reduce the capacity of their arena, as you know, as they have ZERO fan support in the PAC12.  The PAC12 has poor fan interest in basketball for some reason.  I'd rate the MWC as a more passionate basketball conference.

7 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I was just joking...

Also, no way does Utah's next coach (after Krysko is fired) get paid anything close to $4M a year.   They way overpaid for their basketball coach, and they regret it.  They had to reduce the capacity of their arena, as you know, as they have ZERO fan support in the PAC12.  The PAC12 has poor fan interest in basketball for some reason.  I'd rate the MWC as a more passionate basketball conference.

If only we could get BYU and Gonzaga to join us, we could definitely become the premier basketball league out west.

8 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I was just joking...

I was aware of the Pope figure being way to high a salary, I just enjoy the banter.

Larry also has a large buyout last time I checked it was around $9 million, so they made a big mistake in his contract. He did well to begin with, but after the long haul he has failed, which is why you need a few seasons to pass judgement on a coach.

On 5/18/2020 at 1:56 PM, bigd said:

If only we could get BYU and Gonzaga to join us, we could definitely become the premier basketball league out west.

We had a chance to get Wichita St., but Thompson gave the same old line that we want schools that do football. And then Wichita started talking about bringing football back, but Thompson just screwed it up. So if we had WSU, it would make it easier to bring Gonzaga and BYU in. Crap that one year a while back the MWC had 5 schools make the tourney IIRC. You could add another 2 if we had those extra 3 schools. 7 teams in the tourney? Cha-ching $. 

kat.jpg

4 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

We had a chance to get Wichita St., but Thompson gave the same old line that we want schools that do football. And then Wichita started talking about bringing football back, but Thompson just screwed it up. So if we had WSU, it would make it easier to bring Gonzaga and BYU in. Crap that one year a while back the MWC had 5 schools make the tourney IIRC. You could add another 2 if we had those extra 3 schools. 7 teams in the tourney? Cha-ching $. 

Yeah, but ultimately even if Thompson did offer Wichita, they still would've gone to the AAC.

Utah basketball is dying.  I wish it weren’t true but here we are.  Years ago, I would have defended the criticism of Larry on here, but I no longer have the heart or strength. 

Some of it is simple bad luck. Larry was battling cancer the year after he took Utah to the sweet sixteen.  That zapped the program of recruiting, energy and passion for a period of time.  Recruiting has recovered nicely, but he still has trouble retaining quality players. 

A former basketball donor loved Larry and influenced the AD to sign him to a long-term contract.  That along with having a new AD has prevented the program from making any changes.

The best and worst thing that happened to Utah basketball was Rick Majerus. The ‘best’ reference is a obvious (4 sweet sixteens).  The ‘worst’ is the expectations he gave to a generation of Utah fans.  Utah had a good program pre-Majerus, but Rick took it to a once in a lifetime level. 

It may have to get a lot worse before it regains any life again.

4 hours ago, bigd said:

Yeah, but ultimately even if Thompson did offer Wichita, they still would've gone to the AAC.

No, you’re wrong. If Thompson had invited Wichita as a basketball only school, they would’ve jumped instantly. They wanted in the MWC so bad that they were considering bringing back FB at a huge expense to them. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/wichita-state-interested-in-joining-mountain-west-considering-football/

kat.jpg

2 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

No, you’re wrong. If Thompson had invited Wichita as a basketball only school, they would’ve jumped instantly. They wanted in so bad they were considering bringing back FB at a huge expense to them. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/wichita-state-interested-in-joining-mountain-west-considering-football/

So you think Thompson decided that all on his own ?  Maybe he did.  I don't know.  Is there anything in the by laws that requires football for a new school to be added.  To be sure, by laws could be changed.  Can Thompson change by laws arbitrarily on his own or does that require a vote?

47 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

So you think Thompson decided that all on his own ?  Maybe he did.  I don't know.  Is there anything in the by laws that requires football for a new school to be added.  To be sure, by laws could be changed.  Can Thompson change by laws arbitrarily on his own or does that require a vote?

He most likely did not make the Wichita decision on his own. I was told the schools did not want the travel or more conference games, just like they did not want 20 conference games now.. He does not change by laws arbitrarily.