Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OrediggerPoke

Wyoming's Proposed Fall In-Class Plan

http://www.uwyo.edu/uw/news/2020/05/uw-moves-toward-on-campus-education-this-fall.html  Wyoming's plan for fall on-campus instruction.  

I am baffled by the 'testing' because not sure what that accomplishes at all and it would cost the University $12.5 million just for the fall semester. (i.e. a student tests negative prior to fall, then gets sick during the semester someplace else...so what was the point of testing prior to the semester).  Also not sure how Wyoming would have enough student housing to move to single person per room in the dorms.  I am glad that there is a scenario for a return to on-campus instruction in the fall however.  I would expect the Board of Trustees to approve the proposed plan.

Testing every student and faculty member every two weeks at a hefty price tag, oh geez.   Online education makes more sense than that unnecessary chaos. 

https://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/health/university-of-wyoming-to-request-46m-in-federal-stimulus-money-as-it-eyes-reopening-in/article_cd46146c-b48e-55bd-8b33-9122f4947de2.html#tracking-source=home-breaking

15 hours ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Testing every student and faculty member every two weeks at a hefty price tag, oh geez.   Online education makes more sense than that unnecessary chaos. 

https://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/health/university-of-wyoming-to-request-46m-in-federal-stimulus-money-as-it-eyes-reopening-in/article_cd46146c-b48e-55bd-8b33-9122f4947de2.html#tracking-source=home-breaking

Can't online labs or a lot of research.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Guest #1Stunner
17 hours ago, OrediggerPoke said:

http://www.uwyo.edu/uw/news/2020/05/uw-moves-toward-on-campus-education-this-fall.html  Wyoming's plan for fall on-campus instruction.  

I am baffled by the 'testing' because not sure what that accomplishes at all and it would cost the University $12.5 million just for the fall semester. (i.e. a student tests negative prior to fall, then gets sick during the semester someplace else...so what was the point of testing prior to the semester).  Also not sure how Wyoming would have enough student housing to move to single person per room in the dorms.  I am glad that there is a scenario for a return to on-campus instruction in the fall however.  I would expect the Board of Trustees to approve the proposed plan.

Testing is just a snap shot in time.  I agree with you.   Seems pointless to test people, unless they have symptoms and feel very sick.

How reliable is anti-body testing?   That might be more valuable information. 

Would be completely ridiculous to cancel fall classes for 95% of the country.   Initial testing would be good, They should have anyone who has been outside of the normal school environment to be tested again.

Laramie is not that big a place so it shouldn't be that hard to control.  

3 hours ago, Bob said:

I'm already hearing that there's a sizable contingent of professors (tenured, of course) that refuse to go back to work. Their ring leader is some fat bitch that's grossly overweight 

I certainly wish that the University operated more similarly to the private sector  and I don't like the sense of entitlement of some...but attacking some professor's weight and calling her that is just wrong.  I honestly don't know who you are talking about but come on man you can do better.  

I think if a professor refuses to work that should be grounds for firing tenured or not.  I'd be curious what you are referring to.  I would hope all professors would be eager to return to teaching classes in an in-person environment because teaching online is unlikely to be nearly as effective.  That said, the University should absolutely make accommodations for those that need or want them.  There are professors with serious health issues or who are elderly who absolutely should have the freedom to conduct their classes online if they feel that appropriate or necessary.   There are students that might have health issues or feel uncomfortable and accommodations should be made for them as well (such as waiving certain classes that might not be as important for a degree and allowing an online substitute).

Once again - I am ecstatic to see Wyoming 'bucking the trend' and going forward with in-person classes in the fall.  Some of the requirements of the proposal, however, seem unnecessary, unhelpful and logistical nightmares.  That said, the University should respect those that feel at-risk and make the accommodation of allowing these professors to continue to teach online if they choose to do so and if they legitimately believe they can teach effectively online (and I believe that is what the proposal indicates)...if they flat out refuse to teach, then they should not have a job. 

2 hours ago, OrediggerPoke said:

I certainly wish that the University operated more similarly to the private sector  and I don't like the sense of entitlement of some...but attacking some professor's weight and calling her that is just wrong.  I honestly don't know who you are talking about but come on man you can do better.  

I think if a professor refuses to work that should be grounds for firing tenured or not.  I'd be curious what you are referring to.  I would hope all professors would be eager to return to teaching classes in an in-person environment because teaching online is unlikely to be nearly as effective.  That said, the University should absolutely make accommodations for those that need or want them.  There are professors with serious health issues or who are elderly who absolutely should have the freedom to conduct their classes online if they feel that appropriate or necessary.   There are students that might have health issues or feel uncomfortable and accommodations should be made for them as well (such as waiving certain classes that might not be as important for a degree and allowing an online substitute).

Once again - I am ecstatic to see Wyoming 'bucking the trend' and going forward with in-person classes in the fall.  Some of the requirements of the proposal, however, seem unnecessary, unhelpful and logistical nightmares.  That said, the University should respect those that feel at-risk and make the accommodation of allowing these professors to continue to teach online if they choose to do so and if they legitimately believe they can teach effectively online (and I believe that is what the proposal indicates)...if they flat out refuse to teach, then they should not have a job. 

Other than California aren't most schools around the nation saying they are planning on opening campus. Are we really "bucking the trend". Now I think many schools will change their minds when fall gets closer but as of now they need to get the freshmen committed/enrolled. If I was a freshman and my school was only offering online classes I'd save some money and go to community college for a year or semester before enrolling in a big state school.

5 hours ago, Bob said:

I'm already hearing that there's a sizable contingent of professors at UW (tenured, of course) that refuse to go back to work. Their ring leader is some fat bitch that's grossly overweight 

Stay classy Bob.

1 hour ago, tspoke said:

Other than California aren't most schools around the nation saying they are planning on opening campus. Are we really "bucking the trend". Now I think many schools will change their minds when fall gets closer but as of now they need to get the freshmen committed/enrolled. If I was a freshman and my school was only offering online classes I'd save some money and go to community college for a year or semester before enrolling in a big state school.

We were one of the first to announce a plan for students on campus in the fall so I would say yes.  I don't get the sense that we will reverse course after the Board weighed in favorably.  I hope ultimately that most schools will be in-person.

7 hours ago, Bob said:

I'm already hearing that there's a sizable contingent of professors at UW (tenured, of course) that refuse to go back to work. Their ring leader is some fat bitch that's grossly overweight 

Your wife lets you describe her like that?

21 hours ago, OrediggerPoke said:

How to deal with the Majors and programs that simply do not work online is an issue.  Anything in most science and engineering programs with labs are simply not doable online.  In addition the money from the feds to deal with covid costs will cover this.

5 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Testing is just a snap shot in time.  I agree with you.   Seems pointless to test people, unless they have symptoms and feel very sick.

How reliable is anti-body testing?   That might be more valuable information. 

Testing in certain environments makes a lot of sense.  Asymptomatic carriers will spread virus like crazy without regular testing.   For example, anyone who works in a nursing home should get regular covid testing symptoms or not.

3 minutes ago, Billings said:

How to deal with the Majors and programs that simply do not work online is an issue.  Anything in most science and engineering programs with labs are simply not doable online.

I'm absolutely not advocating for online.  I am not a fan of online education.   My point was that testing every student and faculty member every two weeks is a logistical and unnecessary nightmare and online education would be preferable to that.

2 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

I'm absolutely not advocating for online.  I am not a fan of online education.   My point was that testing every student and faculty member every two weeks is a logistical and unnecessary nightmare and online education would be preferable to that.

Maybe but you would basically be shutting down many STEM programs that are the favorite of students nowadays and really taking a hit on enrollment.