Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SalinasSpartan

Has Covid-19 made you rethink your vote for President?

Has Covid-19 made you rethink your vote for President?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Has Covid-19 affected who will you vote for President?

• No. I either voted for Trump in 16 and will do so again OR I voted Hillary in 16 and will vote Biden in 20
    • No. I didn’t vote Trump in 16 and decided to back him pre-covid
    • No. I voted Trump in 16 and decided to back Biden pre-covid
    • Yes. I voted Trump in 16 and will not vote for him because of the handling of covid.
    • Yes. I typically vote democrat and will not because of how my democratic governor handled covid.
    • No. I didn’t vote in 16 and am not voting this year.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/20/2020 at 07:00 AM

6 hours ago, mysfit said:

None of the above

I voted Hillary in 16 and am undecided on 20 other than I will not be voting for trump

And frankly I wish anyone who is going to vote trump please go jump off a cliff now.

Didn't you say you have a lot of coworkers and friends that are Trump supporters?  

This is a bad take, mysfit.  Viewing the other team as being so despicable their death is preferable to their vote is, like, a really bad look.

6 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I am giving Amash serious consideration because of Trumps narcissism

5 hours ago, Warbow said:

Depends on who Biden picks for a VP. I don’t think Biden has another 4 years in him. 

This is where I’m at. Trump’s narcissistic behavior should not be tolerated. Biden’s handling of controversy is unacceptable as well IMO. If Biden selects a VP who I like - he could still maybe get my vote. But probably Amash because he appears to be most scrupulous.

Once again,  choice is the lessor of two evils.   I try to stay off this side of the board and Biden was like my fifth choice, but I will walk barefoot through a field of cactus to vote against the clustertrump.

8 hours ago, gold-n-brown said:

Once again,  choice is the lessor of two evils.   I try to stay off this side of the board and Biden was like my fifth choice, but I will walk barefoot through a field of cactus to vote against the clustertrump.

There is good news ... you don't have to vote for either old, senile authoritarian rapist. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSA1fPrXvDFgLYql-hdlXK

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

23 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I’m seriously considering voting for amash, assuming he runs, even though he represents almost none of my views. That’s how broken our system is. 

America really should have about 8 political parties. No one would ever win anything with a majority of the vote, and that’s a good thing. It means that everyone who wins an election - not just the president - knows going in that they don’t have majority support and will have to work for it. More diversity of views in public office means that Americans will be exposed to multiple arguments and therefore the true complexity of any given issue. Right now everything is presented in binary terms and it leads to the “us vs. them” mentality that afflicts so many of us.

This is so incredibly true. The US is such a big, diverse place. Winner take all elections just flat out don't make sense anymore when the popular vote is always within a few percentage points. The fact that a few thousand independent voters in 3-4 big swing states are ultimately what decide our elections every time is just a joke. I completely understand the argument for electoral college, and I certainly see why the founding fathers set it up originally. But we desperately need changes. A Republican in California probably is a lot more ideologically similar to a Democrat in South Carolina, yet somehow they just turn into two competing gangs once arriving in Washington. Just watching the Democratic primaries and results shows how obvious this is. Socially Conservative African Americans and Hispanics are in the same party as elite, far left white liberals and in reality have very few political beliefs in common. And you can just see the anger this creates on both sides when white states want Buttigieg or Sanders while more diverse states go for Biden.

Having multiple parties, and actually having the luxury of voting for someone that you are actually something enthusiastic about would be such a massive improvement. People would actually feel like their votes matter, and there would be much less of choosing the lesser of two evils. As you said, this binary view on every issue and us vs them mentality is getting a bit scary. Most importantly I think it would alter the narrative that half of the country is bad and hopefully slow down our downward spiral into more extremism.

Particularly as the US continues to grow and become more racially/ideologically diverse. Having a truly representative government that is forced to work together to get anything done will become more and more important. Winner take all elections don't benefit the minority viewpoints at all.

Anyway, it will never happen. But if nothing else, the fact that out of 330 million people in our country and somehow we're all forced to choose between 2 alleged rapists who are in the upper 70s and senile shows just how broken our system is. The thought of either of them being the most powerful person in the world is quite scary.

32 minutes ago, bigd said:

This is so incredibly true. The US is such a big, diverse place. Winner take all elections just flat out don't make sense anymore when the popular vote is always within a few percentage points. The fact that a few thousand independent voters in 3-4 big swing states are ultimately what decide our elections every time is just a joke. I completely understand the argument for electoral college, and I certainly see why the founding fathers set it up originally. But we desperately need changes. A Republican in California probably is a lot more ideologically similar to a Democrat in South Carolina, yet somehow they just turn into two competing gangs once arriving in Washington. Just watching the Democratic primaries and results shows how obvious this is. Socially Conservative African Americans and Hispanics are in the same party as elite, far left white liberals and in reality have very few political beliefs in common. And you can just see the anger this creates on both sides when white states want Buttigieg or Sanders while more diverse states go for Biden.

Having multiple parties, and actually having the luxury of voting for someone that you are actually something enthusiastic about would be such a massive improvement. People would actually feel like their votes matter, and there would be much less of choosing the lesser of two evils. As you said, this binary view on every issue and us vs them mentality is getting a bit scary. Most importantly I think it would alter the narrative that half of the country is bad and hopefully slow down our downward spiral into more extremism.

Particularly as the US continues to grow and become more racially/ideologically diverse. Having a truly representative government that is forced to work together to get anything done will become more and more important. Winner take all elections don't benefit the minority viewpoints at all.

Anyway, it will never happen. But if nothing else, the fact that out of 330 million people in our country and somehow we're all forced to choose between 2 alleged rapists who are in the upper 70s and senile shows just how broken our system is. The thought of either of them being the most powerful person in the world is quite scary.

We do have multiple parties but most people don't actively support it. Having multiple parties sounds great doesn't it?  Except in practice it does not work that well and thats why in some places they continually have elections until they can form some sort of majority to get something done.  Thats what its really about.  I've thought about the party system many times and the only real solution is having no political parties.  Let people elect someone who does share their policy values and then that person can go to the legislature and deal with people independently and not be bound to what their party chiefs tell them to do.  Should also only allow contributions from constituents in your state at least.  And finally term limits so those in DC can only be in up to something like 12 years or so.  I say 12 because thats 2 senate terms.  Congress could easily do this and grandfather it in for new members if necessary.  

I had a poli sci class as an undergraduate entitled Comparative Governments and enjoyed the heck out of it. The prof spent considerable time explaining why he thought the English, French and German systems were inferior to ours. Part of it had to do with the nuances of a parlimentary form of governance but it also had a great deal to do with their multi-party systems. For more than a quarter century I was convinced the prof was correct. However, as I've said before here, I've grown convinced that the Dems and Repubs have both become so awful that they are incapable of nominating a quality candidate so what this country desperately needs is a third major party with a platform so moderate that the two turds we now have will be forced to move toward the middle. No more Tea Party/Freedom Caucus and AOC-like "progressive" BS. Let's force the Dems and Repubs to bring people to Congress people who actually want to work across the proverbial aisle.

On 5/14/2020 at 1:38 PM, mysfit said:

And frankly I wish anyone who is going to vote trump please go jump off a cliff now.

Two words, "Eat" and "shit".