Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fowl

Yellowstone

So the planned summer vacation has gotten all fd up due to continuously cancelled flights and uncertainty so the plans have been ditched.  As a result, we are looking at Yellowstone in late June.  I’m trying to figure out 1.) where is the best location to stay given that I don’t want to stay in the park (I.e. Jackson, West Yellowstone, eastern Idaho (island park), or southern Montana in a Vrbo or Airbnb).  We’d Ike to be able to fish (fly or spin), golf, raft, hike, and have other activities and restaurants nearby 2.) How many days to allot for the park to hit all of the main sites given that we won’t be doing intensive activities inside the park (I have a child who has mobility issues and is in a wheelchair most of the time so that nixes a lot of stuff) 3.) any other advice that you might deem worthwhile.

16 minutes ago, Fowl said:

So the planned summer vacation has gotten all fd up due to continuously cancelled flights and uncertainty so the plans have been ditched.  As a result, we are looking at Yellowstone in late June.  I’m trying to figure out 1.) where is the best location to stay given that I don’t want to stay in the park (I.e. Jackson, West Yellowstone, eastern Idaho (island park), or southern Montana in a Vrbo or Airbnb).  We’d Ike to be able to fish (fly or spin), golf, raft, hike, and have other activities and restaurants nearby 2.) How many days to allot for the park to hit all of the main sites given that we won’t be doing intensive activities inside the park (I have a child who has mobility issues and is in a wheelchair most of the time so that nixes a lot of stuff) 3.) any other advice that you might deem worthwhile.

I'd keep a close eye on the National Park website. They're opening but with limited access. Other parks have cut down on the number of vehicles allowed. You may drive there and be denied parking. I'd stay somewhere close to an open entrance and hit it really early. Even though you're going late June the social distancing guidelines may very well still be in place.

I'm envious ....Yellowstone is outstanding. I can't give recommendations on where to stay outside....we camped years ago.

IF the parks are actually open, don’t sleep on Grand Teton. For my money it’s a better park, but I like to get out of the car and away from the crowds. Yellowstone would be fantastic if there weren’t so many +++++tards ruining everything about it.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

The way 2020 has gone when I saw this thread I half expected it to be about the Yellowstone super volcano coming to life. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

You may want to consider staying in Cody on the eastern entrance although more distant from San Diego.  Stay in West Yellowstone one night and drive though the park sightseeing to Cody as your head quarters for venturing out to the rest of the park. Nice town with the best old west museum in the country. Seriously, even if you don’t stay there the museum is awesome and worth a day trip. https://centerofthewest.org

If Cody is out of the question I’d stay in Montana, it will be less crowded and better access to great fishing. West Yellowstone will be ok, but more crowded. Island Park would be fine and close to great fishing also. The southern entrance near Jackson will also allow you to see Teton National Park and an easier drive from San Diego. Lots to see and do around Jackson also. 

Even though it’s only a days drive from Boise, we haven’t been to the park in 20 years. The park has spectacular scenery and most of the geyser and viewing areas have good wheel chair access for your child. You can see most of the main attractions in two or three days, but a leisurely week would be better. Don’t get too close to the bison. If threatened they will attack you. Enjoy your trip. 

IMO you can hit up the highlights of Yellowstone while staying in Jackson. The few things that Yellowstone has that Grand Teton doesn't - Old Faithful, mammoth hot springs - you can hit up in a day on a driving loop of the park. Otherwise you can do hikes around Jenny Lake and whatnot, more beautiful and just less... busy.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

12 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

I'd keep a close eye on the National Park website. They're opening but with limited access. Other parks have cut down on the number of vehicles allowed. You may drive there and be denied parking. I'd stay somewhere close to an open entrance and hit it really early. Even though you're going late June the social distancing guidelines may very well still be in place.

I'm envious ....Yellowstone is outstanding. I can't give recommendations on where to stay outside....we camped years ago.

Supposedly all of Yellowstone will be open by June 15 save for some of the campgrounds and other places to stay inside the park.  We'll see if that holds.

30 minutes ago, Fowl said:

We've been to glacier a couple of times already and haven't been to Yellowstone.  

Yellowstone is gorgeous and it's hard to believe you are standing on one big ass active volcano!! 

down in a hole.jpg

Thought this was about the TV show. Good show, you’all show watch it.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

16 hours ago, Fowl said:

I grew up going to West Yellowstone every summer. It's been a few years since I've been in the area, so some of my info might be a bit dated. 

1. Best location to stay: 

Based on what you're wanting to do, Island Park might be your best bet. Golf course right in Island Park and excellent fishing close by at Henry's Fork. Depending on your definition of "rafting" there's a really lazy float trip in the Mack's Inn area. Upper and Lower Mesa Falls are quick trips with pretty views. I can't speak to the food scene in the area now, but West isn't too far away and has some good options. Big Jud's (big greasy burgers) in nearby Ashton is a family favorite. 

Jackson will likely be a bit more pricey than other areas, but has the added benefit of being close to Grand Teton National Park. Excellent whitewater rafting (including guided trips) not far away on the Hoback/Snake, golf, and fishing nearby as well as others have mentioned. 

I'm not familiar with the East/North entrances to the park. 

2. The southern loop of Yellowstone is by far the most popular - it goes by Old Faithful, Yellowstone Lake, and a lot of other popular spots. Given the time of year you're going and how busy it will be I'd plan on it taking most of a full day to do that. It's been a long time since I've done the northern loop, but I'd guess that would take most of a day as well depending on how many spots you get out of the car to see. Between those two drives you'll catch most of the easily accessible park highlights. I'd recommend looking at what is on each loop and deciding whether you want to spend 1 or 2 days in the park. If you want to get off the beaten path more you can kill a lot more time than that in Yellowstone.

3. If you enjoy small town theatre, Playmill Theatre in West Yellowstone is a good bet and very family friendly. They're opening is delayed till June 25th, but they'll be doing Footloose, Seven Brides, and Tarzan this year. 

Happy to try and answer any other questions that come up as you keep planning. I'll be in that area in early July - it's beautiful country and well worth the trip in my opinion. 

I’d stay at Chico Hot Springs...right near where “River Runs Through It” was filmed so good fishing near there on the Yellowstone River. Plus can have drinks in a hot pool to soothe the body. Not sure about golfing and the rest though though.

Why wait until National Parks open :shrug: 

Woman suffers severe burns at Yellowstone's Old Faithful

A woman illegally entered Yellowstone National Park on Tuesday morning and fell into a thermal feature at Old Faithful, according to park spokesperson Linda Veress.

She suffered severe burns and was airlifted to Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center in Idaho Falls for treatment.

The woman, who Veress declined to identify, fell into a thermal feature while backing up and taking photos.

https://www.idahostatejournal.com/news/local/woman-suffers-severe-burns-at-yellowstones-old-faithful/article_04ed1ea2-c288-55cb-8999-bc62a0558b1c.html

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Why wait until National Parks open :shrug: 

Woman suffers severe burns at Yellowstone's Old Faithful

A woman illegally entered Yellowstone National Park on Tuesday morning and fell into a thermal feature at Old Faithful, according to park spokesperson Linda Veress.

She suffered severe burns and was airlifted to Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center in Idaho Falls for treatment.

The woman, who Veress declined to identify, fell into a thermal feature while backing up and taking photos.

https://www.idahostatejournal.com/news/local/woman-suffers-severe-burns-at-yellowstones-old-faithful/article_04ed1ea2-c288-55cb-8999-bc62a0558b1c.html

Karma’s a bitch. 

8 hours ago, Warbow said:

Thought this was about the TV show. Good show, you’all show watch it.

I did.  Garbage.  Just sayin'.

14 hours ago, Headbutt said:

I did.  Garbage.  Just sayin'.

You must not like vagina

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.