Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MAC reduces postseason BB tourney and eliminates tourneys in other sports

The MAC will eliminate postseason conference tourneys in 9 sports, including baseball and softball, for at least the next 4 seasons, and the men’s and women’s basketball tournaments will be halved to 8 teams, with no more first-round home games. If this works out for them I expect it will become permanent.  Will this postseason contraction become something that we will adopt? 

https://www.wtol.com/article/sports/majo...a5a6d8fe3c

By the way the basketball tourneys will be held in CLEVELAND. That is like ours being held in Fresno every year. Only 8 teams in men's and 8 teams in women's BB will be allowed in the tourney.

28 minutes ago, 1066 said:

By the way the basketball tourneys will be held in CLEVELAND. That is like ours being held in Fresno every year. Only 8 teams in men's and 8 teams in women's BB will be allowed in the tourney.

There is nothing wrong with the fine city of Cleveland.

1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

MWC won't do it. We get multiple teams in every year (Most of the time.) and pulling 4 teams out could eliminate a tourney champ when we already have two teams that are a tourney lock.

The MAC, Sunbelt, and C-USA are dying. Some MWC and AAC schools are in bad shape.

The MAC is showing signs of faltering. I recall someone on here talking about a lot of teams not surviving these next few years before Covid-19. This stupid virus is just speeding up the process.

poor little ole Tulsa needs to get enrollment back up to 5,000 or they're gonna start running out of money for Athletics...

mem skyline sig.jpeg

15 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

poor little ole Tulsa needs to get enrollment back up to 5,000 or they're gonna start running out of money for Athletics...

What’re they down to now?

Today U of Akron (MAC) announced they are eliminating 3 sports. Two men's Olympics and one women's (tennis.)  It appears to be the beginning of the end for the MAC. You will remember last week two MAC schools eliminated several colleges and programs. I suspect this is only the beginning. Several other MAC schools may do away with some of their Olympics. The Sun Belt may do away with some Olympics as may several CUSA universities. Also I have heard from PH that San Jose will do away with football and replace it with bull fighting.

The world seems to be ending but I expect we have at least until May 20th.  

2 hours ago, brillio said:

What’re they down to now?

3,200 undergrad, 4,300 total.  Only the academies are in that range.  Even Rice has 7100 total.

They've never been a big school.  They peaked in the 60s at around 6000 total.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

16 minutes ago, RSF said:

3,200 undergrad, 4,300 total.  Only the academies are in that range.  Even Rice has 7100 total.

They've never been a big school.  They peaked in the 60s at around 6000 total.

Bummer.  Hope they can increase- I’d hate to see them go.  

11 minutes ago, brillio said:

Bummer.  Hope they can increase- I’d hate to see them go.  

As Stunner said, they should just combine with Oral Roberts hahah.

26 minutes ago, brillio said:

No sir. That’s a WCC type number there. Not an FBS school number. 

It's like Vandy without the SEC or Wake without the ACC...they lose their luster and start to fade.

they need to up enrollment a by at least a few hundred plus have a donor win the powerball, find a giant moon rock, something like that.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

8 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Contraction.

Probably going to happen a lot sooner than we were thinking. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

From the Orlando Sentinal and sports writer Mike Bianchi (not the best one in the industry or for that matter not the best in Orlando.)

The school administrators at Division II Florida Tech put their egos aside earlier this week and came to a hard, honest and fiscally prudent determination.
Unlike many of their delusional big brothers at the FBS level, they decided not to put a Band-Aid on their budgetary deficit by cutting their cross country or rowing team and instead decided to take the plunge and discontinue a football program that had become a money pit.

AKRON 

If this were all about dollars and sense, Akron would have cut the football team and kept the women’s tennis team. It would have saved the university a lot more money.
As colleges and universities throughout the nation struggle to figure out how to pay their bills, does it really make budgetary sense for Akron and other lower level FBS programs to field football teams that have always been a financial drain on their universities?
Former Akron president Matthew Wilson said it best back in 2018 when he told Cleveland.com the football program is “bleeding” money.
There is a flawed perception out there that football is the biggest money-maker for college athletic programs. Yes, this is obviously true in the big-boy conferences like the SEC and Big Ten, but in little-guy leagues like the Mid-American Conference, football is actually the biggest money-loser. In conferences like the MAC, attendance is low, expenses are high and there there are no mega-million-dollar TV deals to cover the costs like there is at perennial Power 5 also-rans like Vanderbilt.
The Knight Commission on College Athletics did a financial study in 2018 and found that the MAC’s total athletic revenue for all 12 schools was nearly $400 million, but nearly 70% of that revenue came from institutional and government support along with student fees.
Translation: MAC universities, state governments and students themselves are contributing hundreds of millions of dollars annually just so Akron’s football team can go 0-12 and pay their coach $500,000 a year.
Then, of course, there’s the attendance scam many lower-level FBS programs partake in just so they can meet the NCAA minimum requirement of averaging at least 15,000 fans per game. It’s no secret that some schools are pretty much buying tickets themselves, giving them away and counting them as part of the “paid” attendance numbers they turn in to the NCAA.
Rule of thumb: If you have to buy tickets to your own games to be considered big-time, then you don’t belong in the big-time.
Don’t get me wrong, I love college football and believe having a team does generate enthusiasm and campus spirit. However, the constant claims that having a football team actually boosts student enrollment always seemed nebulous, vague and unquantifiable to me. Maybe Alabama gets an enrollment boost because of its football team, but does Akron?
Yes football is great benefit to have — as long as you can afford it. But how many cash-strapped, lower-level FBS schools will rightfully be able to justify the expense moving forward?

Coronavirus 
UCF AD Danny White: Spring football season would be better than no football season

The financial predictions for higher education are frightening and could cripple colleges and universities of all sizes. As an example, just look at the state of Florida, where universities are funded in two major ways: student enrollment and government funding.
Well, guess what? Student enrollment is predicted to plummet and state funding is likely be slashed because the tourism industry is on a months-long hiatus and massive unemployment payments are decimating state coffers.

Florida Tech

Florida Tech came to the hard, honest conclusion earlier this week that it simply couldn’t afford the financial drain of its football program any longer.
When the move was announced, school president Dwayne McCay wrote a letter to the campus community in which he stated, “The unprecedented uncertainty created by COVID-19 makes these moves prudent, but no less painful. We must do what is necessary to preserve resources critical to our educational mission.”
In other words, it’s much cheaper to keep the women’s swimming team than the football team.
When will other schools put their macho egos aside and come to the same realization?
This column first appeared on OrlandoSentinel.com. Email me at mbianchi@orlandosentinel.com. 
Hit me up on Twitter @BianchiWrites and listen to my Open Mike radio show every weekday from 7 to 10 a.m. on FM 96.9 and AM 740

I told you the end was near.

MAC making changes to travel rosters and won’t stay in a hotel the night before a game. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

On 5/13/2020 at 7:41 PM, Jersey Rebels said:

Agreed, at least they're not Detroit. 

When it comes to the cities themselves, Detroit is way better than Cleveland. Downtown Detroit is fun. Downtown Cleveland has the Rock and Roll Hall of fame and that's about it. No idea what it would be like to actually live in either place though.