Jump to content
battle.borne

Cal State U's to remain closed through Fall Semester?

Recommended Posts

I don't think its about being holed up.  California is already beginning to open up.  Its really about mass gatherings.  Indoor classrooms with 100 to 200 students all sitting next to each other isn't feasible at this time, especially when you can do these classes online.  You can see where the hotspots are, the meat packing plants where hundreds of workers contract the virus because they all stand next to each other while working.  Social distancing is the only thing that mitigates this virus.  California has been very successful the last 2 months of doing that.   We need to open things up but it needs to be done smartly.  Putting hundreds of people together in a cramped area like a classroom or stadium isn't smart, and is the quickest way to spread this and cause a 2nd wave.  Sadly that is the last phase of getting back to normal and the last phase probably won't be ready for another year.

  • Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nevermind.......

Did I ever mention how much love I have for Jay-Duh.... Mr. Wicker

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/college/story/2020-05-12/san-diego-state-aztecs-fall-sports-ccaa-cancels-cal-state-san-marcos

San Diego State remains committed to fielding fall sports, despite an announcement Tuesday that most fall classes will be conducted online in the 23-school California State University system.

CSU Chancellor Timothy White said a majority of classes will be taught online because of ongoing coronavirus concerns.

“This planning approach is necessary,” White said, “because a course that might begin in a face-to-face modality would likely have to be switched to a virtual format during the term if a serious second wave of the pandemic occurs, as forecast.

“Virtual planning is necessary because it might not be possible for some students, faculty and staff to safely travel to campus.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

Everyone from the Coach and Admins, to the guy who sells the Cougartails at BYU, down to the guy who cleans up the poop on the West Concourse at Rice Eccles....  It's their livelihood.  Many of those people are laid off, not working, or are on furlough.   There are also college athletes are thinking about their pro prospects (big money at stake), or their MLM earnings (BYU athletes, who have no chance at the Pros).

 

Friend, what are these “cougartails” you speak of?  I was under the impression that alcoholic beverages were verboten at LES?  Will I be able to imbibe this November when SDSU and our friend John David visit Provo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hawai'i will be ready to go.you already know cuz.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Hey @VandalPride97, Boise on October 3rd?

Idaho @ UC-Davis 10/3/2020

BSU @ SJSU 10/3/2020

 

Hell yeah, bring it on bitch.

  • Facepalm 1
  • Cheers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Like anything, we are going to see people start balancing their jobs / livelihood vs the virus.   It's not an easy decision by any stretch of the imagination.   And people have been assuming the risk of dying to feed their family and make a living forever... (those coal miners weren't doing it for the glory).

This isn't necessarily ancient Rome wanting its "Gladiator Entertainment".   

Think how many people have jobs associated with College Athletics.  Everyone from the Coach and Admins, to the guy who sells the Cougartails at BYU, down to the guy who cleans up the poop on the West Concourse at Rice Eccles....  It's their livelihood.  Many of those people are laid off, not working, or are on furlough.   There are also college athletes are thinking about their pro prospects (big money at stake), or their MLM earnings (BYU athletes, who have no chance at the Pros).

It's a tough, tough, conversation.

I honestly don't know the answer.   But this idea being pushed in Democrat controlled States that we can all "hole up" in our house forever, and not engage in commerce is a death sentence.   If no one works, society will crumble.  Seems like California should be doing like other States and evaluating every 2 weeks.  Not shutting down 3 months at a time.

 

stop thinking with your football penis B) , college athletics is still entertainment. Its a luxury. It can wait until things improve. Hopefully, that happens over the Summer months, but more realistically by next Spring.

the economy is going to take years to fully recover, its nobody's fault. Its going to be a slow painful grind.  Some things will never come fully back I'm afraid.

maybe the Democrats states are playing it too safe, but you can always admit you were wrong and reverse that action, that's not as easily done in a state like Georgia where the virus can get away from you quickly. I prefer the risk adverse course.

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Cheers 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

stop thinking with your football penis B) , college athletics is still entertainment. Its a luxury. It can wait until things improve. Hopefully, that happens over the Summer months, but more realistically by next Spring.

the economy is going to take years to fully recover, its nobody's fault. Its going to be a slow painful grind.  Some things will never come fully back I'm afraid.

maybe the Democrats states are playing it too safe, but you can always admit you were wrong and reverse that action, that's not as easily done in a state like Georgia where the virus can get away from you quickly. I prefer the risk adverse course.

 

Entertainment related jobs don't matter, right?  (You must not work in that industry).

Can you provide a list of what jobs are are a luxury and what jobs are necessary?

It's getting hard to keep track.

 

Easy to say from the safety of your ivory tower what is important, and what isn't.   Maybe you'd think differently if your job / income was affected?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Fowl said:

Friend, what are these “cougartails” you speak of?  I was under the impression that alcoholic beverages were verboten at LES?  Will I be able to imbibe this November when SDSU and our friend John David visit Provo?

57df02cf41c7c.image.jpg?resize=1200,799

DSCN2201.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

Nevermind.......

Did I ever mention how much love I have for Jay-Duh.... Mr. Wicker

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/college/story/2020-05-12/san-diego-state-aztecs-fall-sports-ccaa-cancels-cal-state-san-marcos

San Diego State remains committed to fielding fall sports, despite an announcement Tuesday that most fall classes will be conducted online in the 23-school California State University system.

CSU Chancellor Timothy White said a majority of classes will be taught online because of ongoing coronavirus concerns.

“This planning approach is necessary,” White said, “because a course that might begin in a face-to-face modality would likely have to be switched to a virtual format during the term if a serious second wave of the pandemic occurs, as forecast.

“Virtual planning is necessary because it might not be possible for some students, faculty and staff to safely travel to campus.”

Watch your Aztec mouth!!!

John David is the best in the business!!!!

@Fowl

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Can you provide a list of what jobs are are a luxury and what jobs are necessary?

It's getting hard to keep track.

 

considering that many people currently laid off or on furlough are making more money now than when they were employed (based on the additional unemployment money coming in from the federal govt. on top of the state unemployment $$$) you might say almost every job at a university is temporarily expendable right now, especially any having to do with athletics. Obviously there are exceptions. Just my thoughts.

just playing devils advocate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Del Scorcho said:

considering that many people currently laid off or on furlough are making more money now than when they were employed (based on the additional unemployment money coming in from the federal govt. on top of the state unemployment $$$) you might say almost every job at a university is temporarily expendable right now, especially any having to do with athletics.

Obviously there are exceptions. Just my thoughts.

So, you think California / Oregon's approach is preferable? (making decisions to lock down and shutdown the economy 3 months in advance, rather than evaluating on a week to week basis)?   

Why do you prefer that approach?

And what is your solution for small business owners that are self employed, and that are leveraged?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Entertainment related jobs don't matter, right?  (You must not work in that industry).

Can you provide a list of what jobs are are a luxury and what jobs are necessary?

It's getting hard to keep track.

 

Easy to say from the safety of your ivory tower what is important, and what isn't.   Maybe you'd think differently if your job / income was affected?

What is essential for individuals, industries, and society are different. If you own a movie theater chain, you may have your personal finances blown up and your industry may collapse,  but we don't need movie theaters for society to continue on. I'm sure some stuff is debatable, but football seems firmly ensconced in non-essential at a societal level. It's awful for a lot of people who are going to be personally impacted, but college sports are not the equivalent of viable, safe municipal water. One keeps society entertained, the other keeps us alive.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rambouche said:

What is essential for individuals, industries, and society are different. If you own a movie theater chain, you may have your personal finances blown up and your industry may collapse,  but we don't need movie theaters for society to continue on. I'm sure some stuff is debatable, but football seems firmly ensconced in non-essential at a societal level. It's awful for a lot of people who are going to be personally impacted, but college sports are not the equivalent of viable, safe municipal water. One keeps society entertained, the other keeps us alive.

Time to shut down that entertainment in Colorado.  I assume they have shut down the marijuana shops, bars, and liquor stores there?

That stuff isn't very essential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

Time to shut down that entertainment in Colorado.  I assume they have shut down the marijuana shops, bars, and liquor stores there?

That stuff isn't very essential.

The good people of Colorado determined that liquor stores and dispensaries were essential during stay at home but bars were not. What can I say? Everyone has their priorities. Other things are now starting to open up with modification. Don't get me wrong- if CSU opens up for games, I'm going. I'm sure everyone is trying to balance needs, wants, etc. I hope football happens, but in the grand scheme of things, we (society) don't NEED it to happen this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rambouche said:

What is essential for individuals, industries, and society are different. If you own a movie theater chain, you may have your personal finances blown up and your industry may collapse,  but we don't need movie theaters for society to continue on. I'm sure some stuff is debatable, but football seems firmly ensconced in non-essential at a societal level. It's awful for a lot of people who are going to be personally impacted, but college sports are not the equivalent of viable, safe municipal water. One keeps society entertained, the other keeps us alive.

The point being that we are responding to this virus as if it's some sort of existential threat.  It manifestly isn't that and as data are gathered over time the picture becomes clearer on that score.  What we know now is vastly different that what we knew then. We now know who is vulnerable and what is successful in protecting them. Taking your movie theater example; if you're seventy with a bad heart or COPD you shouldn't attend. If you pack a movie theater with an audience of people under the age of forty who are otherwise healthy there is a vanishingly small potential for anyone becoming anything other moderately ill from the experience.  In a free society, it should be left to the individual to assess risk and make the decision that they feel is best for them.  Given that, what right does the state have to continue policies that are putting people out of work and creating an actual, very real existential threat; poverty, despair, and societal instability. 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Rambouche said:

The good people of Colorado determined that liquor stores and dispensaries were essential during stay at home but bars were not. What can I say? Everyone has their priorities. Other things are now starting to open up with modification. Don't get me wrong- if CSU opens up for games, I'm going. I'm sure everyone is trying to balance needs, wants, etc. I hope football happens, but in the grand scheme of things, we (society) don't NEED it to happen this year.

Here in Cali, it's the same. I can buy lottery tickets, weed and booze but I can't ride my bike around Miramar lake or take a stroll on the boardwalk at the beach in spite of the fact that the SCIENCE tells us the virus cannot withstand UV (read; sunlight) and the chance of spread outdoors is virtually non-existent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SDSUfan said:

The point being that we are responding to this virus as if it's some sort of existential threat.  It manifestly isn't that and as data are gathered over time the picture becomes clearer on that score.  What we know now is vastly different that what we knew then. We now know who is vulnerable and what is successful in protecting them. Taking your movie theater example; if you're seventy with a bad heart or COPD you shouldn't attend. If you pack a movie theater with an audience of people under the age of forty who are otherwise healthy there is a vanishingly small potential for anyone becoming anything other moderately ill from the experience.  In a free society, it should be left to the individual to assess risk and make the decision that they feel is best for them.  Given that, what right does the state have to continue policies that are putting people out of work and creating an actual, very real existential threat; poverty, despair, and societal instability. 

 

Sure. It's a balance and everyone has a notion of where we should land for mitigating risk for a relatively small sub- segment of society. COVID won't effect most people seriously and shutting down the economy certainly will. I love college football and will go to games in the fall if given the choice. My thought/concern is that even if we open up most things, large gatherings are going to be a problem for a while. Open campuses and stadiums are both going to be tricky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rambouche said:

Sure. It's a balance and everyone has a notion of where we should land for mitigating risk for a relatively small sub- segment of society. COVID won't effect most people seriously and shutting down the economy certainly will. I love college football and will go to games in the fall if given the choice. My thought/concern is that even if we open up most things, large gatherings are going to be a problem for a while. Open campuses and stadiums are both going to be tricky.

Not Qualcomm. We have plenty of social distance space...:rimshot1:

I'll be here all week.  don't forget to tip the waitresses

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

So, you think California / Oregon's approach is preferable? (making decisions to lock down and shutdown the economy 3 months in advance, rather than evaluating on a week to week basis)?   

Why do you prefer that approach?

And what is your solution for small business owners that are self employed, and that are leveraged?  

 

I do prefer California and Oregon's approach. Clearly they have made mistakes as has anyone leading citizens and dealing with the unknown. Many have praised CA Gov. Newsom reaction to the pandemic. I think he's done a remarkable job and has saved/prolonged lives.  Locking down and shutting down the economy in advance can easily be shortened if things improve.  Its preferable to opening up too fast, and then needing to shut it down again IMO.

I also think Utah's Govt. Herbert has done an excellent job. I believe Utah leads the country in per-capita testing. Credit to Utah's Govt. He's also made mistakes. The state opting to buy $800k worth of a snake oil drug at a steep markup was a severe blunder. Fortunately they were able to back out of that transaction.

No doubt small businesses are getting screwed everywhere. CA needs to loosen those restrictions, provided they follow CDC's guidelines.  I don't believe the same policy can be applied to LA and SF as it does to rural areas of California, but that's true everywhere. Its a complicated problem. If barbershops suddenly are allowed to open in Victorville, you'd have a flood of people from LA County driving to Victorville for haircuts and you've immediately exacerbated the problem. 

Whenever you see news footage of families that have lost everything in a flood, hurricane or tornado they nearly always are grateful that their lives were spared and they have each other. You never hear a father exclaim, "damnit if I'd only let go of little Jimmy maybe I could have saved my jet ski."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×