Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

battle.borne

Cal State U's to remain closed through Fall Semester?

4 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

So what are these morons basing their decision on? 

Unfounded fear

What is the purpose of closing the schools? 

Probably avoiding the litigation this nation has become infatuated with.

There must be a reason that has nothing to do with public health, data, facts or any sort of objective measure.

Obviously, there is.  And none of it really benefits students, researchers, or the regional economy.

12 minutes ago, brillio said:

We were told the whole quarantine was to flatten the curve, and we did it. So why are we still hiding inside?? Feels like we’ve been lied to and people are just coming out on their own because they know they have a 0.00000001% chance of dying from this thing.  

Old people and those with underlying conditions just stay inside and the rest of us can live our lives. 

for anyone that doubts this, I urge you to look an the SDUT website which provides the most detailed breakdown of any site I've seen on the web.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/coronavirus-data

If you want  get a broader view of California, check out this site. Feel free to count the number of counties that show  0 1,2,and 3 deaths in total.  hint:  MOST of them.

https://public.tableau.com/views/COVID-19PublicDashboard/Covid-19Public?:embed=y&:display_count=no&:showVizHome=no

Then there's the JH website which is pretty good. Click through each country and see if you notice a trend.  Italy is very interesting.  Click the daily cases tab in the lower right corner.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

These pricks are running some kind of a game. Not sure what it is but they are in the process of destroying millions of lives and burning BILLIONS of dollars of private wealth.  They are literally destroying the economy

ASSHOLES

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

15 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Unfounded fear

Probably avoiding the litigation this nation has become infatuated with.

Obviously, there is.  And none of it really benefits students, researchers, or the regional economy.

If they're worried about litigation they should be looking at fending off breach of contract suits.  If I were headed to school and paid tuition for a seat in a classroom and these pricks want me to sit at mom and dad's house connected to a computer for the same money, their asses would be in court yesterday

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

Cal States and UC’s will lose so many students due to this. As a Fresno State alum with kids currently enrolled or enrolling at UCSB and Suds, what I’m hearing kids say is depressing. So many incoming freshman already looking to jump ship and apply at schools in states that give CA residents discounted rates.  

they are trying to maintain the same tuition here in Ca as if they were taking in person classes. In an attempt to keep the students from taking CC classes or gap years to avoid the costs, they are mentioning removing any deferment options. 

Sad state these students are in. Especially at UCSB where they were asked to leave IV but being forced to continue paying rent. Based on how things work around these colleges in CA, Most have already put down non refundable deposits on their fall semester living quarters. 

Athletes will leave in droves if this happens. Nothing to stop them and the NCAA will have to allow them to transfer. 

2 minutes ago, tommypm said:

Cal States and UC’s will lose so many students due to this. As a Fresno State alum with kids currently enrolled or enrolling at UCSB and Suds, what I’m hearing kids say is depressing. So many incoming freshman already looking to jump ship and apply at schools in states that give CA residents discounted rates.  

they are trying to maintain the same tuition here in Ca as if they were taking in person classes. In an attempt to keep the students from taking CC classes or gap years to avoid the costs, they are mentioning removing any deferment options. 

Sad state these students are in. Especially at UCSB where they were asked to leave IV but being forced to continue paying rent. Based on how things work around these colleges in CA, Most have already put down non refundable deposits on their fall semester living quarters. 

Athletes will leave in droves if this happens. Nothing to stop them and the NCAA will have to allow them to transfer. 

The State of Nevada gives California kids a pretty significant discount. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just now, mugtang said:

The State of Nevada gives California kids a pretty significant discount. 

Yeah. She has 2 SDSU friends looking into UNLV already to transfer. Colorado does as well apparently. 

It's a cluster, but what are they supposed to do ? These campus communities aren't just the home to healthy young students with a very low risk profile. They are staffed by people who are at higher risk, attended by immunocompromised students, and coexist with families and communities that are at risk. There are things that can open up safely with modification, but dorms and stadiums aren't high on that list. What comes in the fall with spread is still unknown... The schools are rational actors... They're not purposely submarining their budgets because of a grand conspiracy. Declining rates of infection and death in the midst of stay at home orders aren't a proxy for no problem at all. A ton is unknown and people are getting f***** all the way around. May be time for us all to adopt a favorite SEC team. When they cancel football, we will know we're all screwed!

Every incoming freshman athlete should be immediately released from their commitment.  Every single.phucking. penny. of season ticket holder money needs to returned forthwith.

again. These people have lost their minds

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 hour ago, bigd said:

Yes, but at that point the virus was a complete unknown. Now that we have some data, different states and organizations will certainly respond differently.

If the UC system follows suit, I’m sure many other western states will do the same. 

Just now, Del Scorcho said:

we assume today that all college football players want to play come fall. that's a bad assumption. I could easily see a good percentage of players not want to risk their health at this time.

At least we have a more interesting NFL supplemental draft to look forward to soon

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

If the UC system follows suit, I’m sure many other western states will do the same. 

giphy.gif

There's an old saying...as goes California, so goes the rest of the nation. 

27 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Every incoming freshman athlete should be immediately released from their commitment.  Every single.phucking. penny. of season ticket holder money needs to returned forthwith.

I keep waiting for CSU to say anything at all to season ticket holders at all about the contingency plans. I did get an email today on parking passes. SMH.

27 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

we assume today that all college football players want to play come fall. that's a bad assumption IMO. I could easily see a good percentage of players not want to risk their health.

All it takes is one immunocompromised to tweet out that they feel/felt “pressured” to play; imagine the shitstorm that would cause. 

13 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

All it takes is one immunocompromised to tweet out that they feel/felt “pressured” to play; imagine the shitstorm that would cause. 

conference lawyers will be billing lots of hours drafting air tight COVID-19 waivers

49 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

34 minutes ago, Rambouche said:

At least we have a more interesting NFL supplemental draft to look forward to soon

In an email from Knuth he included this bullet point when discussing season ticket renewals and the upcoming season:

We will have new options to spread payments over multiple months, and we will have refund options available in the event the COVID-19 outbreak affects our home schedule.

So they've acknowledged that the economy sucks and some fans may need to spread out payments they normally wouldn't do and have a refund policy (which my ticket manager went over with me and I can get a refund if I chose and the season is cancelled).

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Guest #1Stunner
42 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

we assume today that all college football players want to play come fall. that's a bad assumption IMO. I could easily see a good percentage of players not want to risk their health.

The only athletes that are statistically at risk are at BYU, though (older student athletes in their 40s).

I mean, your average college age student has like a 0.00001% chance of dying from COVID-19

Just now, #1Stunner said:

The only athletes that are statistically at risk are at BYU, though (older student athletes in their 40s).

I mean, your average college age student has like a 0.00001% chance of dying from COVID-19

God bless you Stunner

10 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

PAC12 has 1500 staff and players in close contact during football season if 5% catch the virus and 1% of those require hospitalization and have long term complications is it worth the risk?

We've already witnessed the changes made in the sport for concussions. Not sure this is all that different.

Guest #1Stunner
36 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

PAC12 has 1500 staff and players in close contact during football season if 5% catch the virus and 1% of those require hospitalization and have long term complications is it worth the risk?

We've already witnessed the changes made in the sport for concussions. Not sure this is all that different.

Like anything, we are going to see people start balancing their jobs / livelihood vs the virus.   It's not an easy decision by any stretch of the imagination.   And people have been assuming the risk of dying to feed their family and make a living forever... (those coal miners weren't doing it for the glory).

This isn't necessarily ancient Rome wanting its "Gladiator Entertainment".   

Think how many people have jobs associated with College Athletics.  Everyone from the Coach and Admins, to the guy who sells the Cougartails at BYU, down to the guy who cleans up the poop on the West Concourse at Rice Eccles....  It's their livelihood.  Many of those people are laid off, not working, or are on furlough.   There are also college athletes are thinking about their pro prospects (big money at stake), or their MLM earnings (BYU athletes, who have no chance at the Pros).

It's a tough, tough, conversation.

I honestly don't know the answer.   But this idea being pushed in Democrat controlled States that we can all "hole up" in our house forever, and not engage in commerce is a death sentence.   If no one works, society will crumble.  Seems like California should be doing like other States and evaluating every 2 weeks.  Not shutting down 3 months at a time.