Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

renoskier

Skaterboarders?

Who else was a skater kid?

I'll skate around the neighborhood from time to time when my kids are riding their bikes and I'm 43.

I also fixed up a 20" bmx bike to bunny hop stuff and jump curbs.  

Why not? It's still fun.

8 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I'll skate around the neighborhood from time to time when my kids are riding their bikes and I'm 43.

Why not? It's still fun.

I'm 63 and feel that the "skater" era came too late for me. I still remember roller skate wheels attached to boards.

I did have a board in the seventies but really only used it for riding down hills. 

6 hours ago, renoskier said:

I'm 63 and feel that the "skater" era came too late for me. I still remember roller skate wheels attached to boards.

I did have a board in the seventies but really only used it for riding down hills. 

You're only as old as your hip feels! B) I was a skater back in the day when wide boards first came out and everyone on their banana board looked at you weird for riding something so crazy. A group of us built a half-pipe and would skate around town and made two trips to Mile High in Tahoe City, but those kids were just on another level....one being Shaun Palmer. Palmer may be the greatest athlete ever and if you get a chance, watch the documentary on him titled "The Miserable Champion".... that dude could do it all. 

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

Why not? It's still fun.

Started out on a wood board w clay wheels. Remember when I got my first set of Cadillac polyurethane wheels. Like going from the dark ages to an F1 race car. Started doing our own fiberglass boards as time rolled on. Used to scout for empty pools, and then watch the house to see when owners were gone. Picked up some old snow skis at a swap meet, mounted my wheels on the snow ski and made some serious speed runs. Funny the looks you get when you pass a car 😂

6 hours ago, renoskier said:

I guess boarding is a sport. This is pretty cool; an 11 year old just broke a record and became the first to do a 1080 on a certain size of half pipe :shrug:

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/11/853939217/watch-with-extra-time-to-practice-11-year-old-breaks-skateboarding-record

That shit was awesome!

I remember thinking Danny Way was cool...

This shit is all from Boise; I knew these kids - this is just one segment of the movie..

New-Signature.jpg

Skated pretty hard from grade school through college.  I still cruise around but my ankles are glass now.  

"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."

21 hours ago, toonkee said:

Why not? It's still fun.

I had one of these in middle school back in the mid ‘70’s.

image.jpeg.d72adcdbbabbabc1f635da1b8becd966.jpeg

It was all I wanted. I probably rode it for a couple of months and moved on to other pursuits.

I just bought an enduro/trail bike and am learning to jump at the tender age of 56 in an attempt to keep up with my fast AF 27 year old enduro racing son (that’ll never happen, but I did pound his smart ass teenage butt regularly as cross country mtn bike racers up to age 20, so I’ve got that over him). Get yourself a similar bike and haul yourself and your kids up here for the next Wolf Pack-Rebels game of your choice and we’ll head over to Reno’s newest mtn biking locale, Sierra Vista Park for some fun. @NevadaFan is invited. @renoskier is probably too old, but he can come and watch us. @Slapdad can’t ride a bike to save his life and should stay the f*** in Houston, where it’s flat as a pancake and safe for his scaredy cat self.

13 minutes ago, Posturedoc said:

It was all I wanted. I probably rode it for a couple of months and moved on to other pursuits.

I just bought an enduro/trail bike and am learning to jump at the tender age of 56 in an attempt to keep up with my fast AF 27 year old enduro racing son (that’ll never happen, but I did pound his smart ass teenage butt regularly as cross country mtn bike racers up to age 20, so I’ve got that over him). Get yourself a similar bike and haul yourself and your kids up here for the next Wolf Pack-Rebels game of your choice and we’ll head over to Reno’s newest mtn biking locale, Sierra Vista Park for some fun. @NevadaFan is invited. @renoskier is probably too old, but he can come and watch us. @Slapdad can’t ride a bike to save his life and should stay the f*** in Houston.

Where's Sierra Vista Park?

Never mind, found it. Old Northgate golf course, very cool!

38 minutes ago, Posturedoc said:

I just bought an enduro/trail bike and am learning to jump at the tender age of 56 in an attempt to keep up with my fast AF 27 year old enduro racing son (that’ll never happen, but I did pound his smart ass teenage butt regularly as cross country mtn bike racers up to age 20, so I’ve got that over him). Get yourself a similar bike and haul yourself and your kids up here for the next Wolf Pack-Rebels game of your choice and we’ll head over to Reno’s newest mtn biking locale, Sierra Vista Park for some fun. @NevadaFan is invited. @renoskier is probably too old, but he can come and watch us. @Slapdad can’t ride a bike to save his life and should stay the f*** in Houston, where it’s flat as a pancake and safe for his scaredy cat self.

You couldn't be more wrong! It isn't flat here.....there's a VERY tall over pass just a mile from here, not to mention a parking garage just around the corner! And hills (a couple hours drive from here)! 

1 minute ago, Slapdad said:

You couldn't be more wrong! It isn't flat here.....there's a VERY tall over pass just a mile from here, not to mention a parking garage just around the corner! And hills (a couple hours drive from here)! 

Pictures, or I don’t believe you. 

2 hours ago, renoskier said:

Where's Sierra Vista Park?

Never mind, found it. Old Northgate golf course, very cool!

They’re building out a bike park between Reno and Somersett + they are connecting the Keystone trails to it. The Tahoe/Pyramid connection gets better every year. Life is good. 

1 hour ago, RogueStout said:

Skateboarding is one of the hardest athletic things to do. 

I agree.  I picked it up as a hobby to do on rest days between mountain biking a few years back.  The things the kids can do on a skateboard are amazing.  Since i have been biking forever i just can't get past wearing a helmet.  Needless to say i stick out like a sore thumb at the skate parks, both by age and use of a helmet.  It is a pretty cool sport though and in my younger days i would probably be much more willing to take  more chances.  

3 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

They’re building out a bike park between Reno and Somersett + they are connecting the Keystone trails to it. The Tahoe/Pyramid connection gets better every year. Life is good. 

Have you ridden there yet? It’s fun even if you don’t want to launch your old bones into the air. I always wanted to be able to jump more than 6” off the ground and travel more than 3’, but never felt comfortable doing that on a cross country race bike. Now I get 10” of air and travel 4’. Slack geometry and 6” of suspension travel make all difference. 

12 hours ago, Posturedoc said:

Pictures, or I don’t believe you. 

Look at that drop in!!! Only for the most hardcore riders!!!

sabine_.jpg