Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RSF

UConn lands a FB TV deal with CBSSN

2 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

sans Boise's deal...I'm glad we're not stuck with a MWC level deal as 6.94 Million with ESPN exposure is > a 4 million dollar deal with CBSSN/Fox level exposure.

if AF, Army, and BYU aren't interested just say thanks anyway and stay at 11 until forced to make a decision.

For as much shit as Hair gets, if the MWC and AAC swapped commissioners I think the AAV of our deals would have been very similar. 

On 5/12/2020 at 9:20 AM, #1Stunner said:

They'll get pretty good exposure on CBS Sports. 

Have to think that being on a TV network will help them schedule games more easily, than if they were on ESPN3/ESPN+ like the AAC is doing.

Are aac schools helping them out with scheduling, like mwc teams are helping out scheduling for byu and that farm school down south here in nm?

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

Guest #1Stunner
5 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

Are aac schools helping them out with scheduling, like mwc teams are helping out scheduling for byu and that farm school down south here in nm?

This could be an amazing year for BYU football.  BYU might end up playing both of the New Mexicos in football.  Plus, New Mexico Highlands in basketball.

Snake will be on the jumbotron, no doubt!

54 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

This could be an amazing year for BYU football.  BYU might end up playing both of the New Mexicos in football.  Plus, New Mexico Highlands in basketball.

Snake will be on the jumbotron, no doubt!

You need to line up a softball game with New Mexico Tech.

On 5/11/2020 at 12:55 PM, RSF said:

4 years, 'over 7 figures' (the $ is via the Hartford Courant).  Not half bad.

Add in the Fox/Big East money, and a probable deal with SNY, and at worst their move is going to be a wash financially, likely a few bucks ahead.  And the Fox deal is up for renewal a lot sooner.

https://uconnhuskies.com/news/2020/5/11/uconn-and-cbs-sports-agree-to-multi-year-television-deal-for-home-football-games.aspx

That's like what...$250k-$400k/yr for f'ball???  How is that a wash?

On 5/12/2020 at 8:43 AM, #1Stunner said:

Looks like they will get a payout of around $2M per year.

That's pretty low, but will give them National exposure on a TV Network.   Plus, they get their Big East money.

Turning out to be a great move for UConn.  Their football schedule looks decent.

They really had no choice. The local deal for UCONN was bigger than BYUtv was for BYU. They made the only choice they could. A choice any other school in the situation would have made. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

On 5/12/2020 at 6:06 AM, RSF said:

It's a million plus per year, according to the Courant.  And not streaming.

That’s not how I’m reading it..

E4DEE100-5F40-4645-8232-6CA3D893F46E.jpeg

https://www.courant.com/sports/hc-sp-uconn-football-tv-contract-cbs-sports-20200511-by6lljlw2ff63ivkh5gr3xpxre-story.html

On 5/12/2020 at 5:43 AM, #1Stunner said:

Looks like they will get a payout of around $2M per year.

That's pretty low, but will give them National exposure on a TV Network.   Plus, they get their Big East money.

Turning out to be a great move for UConn.  Their football schedule looks decent.

A TV Network isn't what it was 20-yrs ago.  ¿Is a deal on cable network that reaches less than 45% of TV households really "national exposure?"

The first thing I do when I chk into a hotel is look & see if they get CBSSportsNet & it's well less than 30%.  :-(

On 5/12/2020 at 10:10 AM, UofMTigers said:

they got us cough/sneeze guards which I really like...makes us feel like we're in a fish bowl, but it's way safer.

92000676_2815590935154807_23477165910025

plus, they've got us in so much PPE you can't even tell it's me lol...hello from Sam's Pharmacy!

91886646_2823561144357786_14426319221937

Good job buddy.  Stay safe!!!

On 5/14/2020 at 4:24 PM, Ibanez said:

They aren't courting anyone. Air Force, like Boise State thinks their TV deal is ridiculous. 

Is that any way to talk about your former conference?

9 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

That's like what...$250k-$400k/yr for f'ball???  How is that a wash?

Because of the current value of the Big East deal and the presumed value of an SNY deal (which was over a million a year several yrs ago).  Not to mention the 1st year of the new AAC deal will be closer to 5 mil (the 6.94 wont be reached until year 6/7).  And the production costs the AAC is incurring.

Thats how.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

11 hours ago, robe said:

They really had no choice. The local deal for UCONN was bigger than BYUtv was for BYU. They made the only choice they could. A choice any other school in the situation would have made. 

Memphis would not be willing to relegate it's football program to independence (no access bowl) just to put olympic sports in a good conference. I mean, we would have lost out on the Cotton Bowl and the monies from Houston and UCF's runs.

It's clear UConn values it's men's/women's basketball programs far more than it's football program...that's in conflict with the rest of the AAC as schools like Memphis, Cincy, Houston, UCF, etc do not think that way.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

3 hours ago, RSF said:

Because of the current value of the Big East deal and the presumed value of an SNY deal (which was over a million a year several yrs ago).  Not to mention the 1st year of the new AAC deal will be closer to 5 mil (the 6.94 wont be reached until year 6/7).  And the production costs the AAC is incurring.

Thats how.

1) UConn's 17 million greatly reduces up front production costs

2) I would be fine with the contract being back loaded as that would mean towards the end we would be making over 7 million per team/per year

mem skyline sig.jpeg

11 hours ago, robe said:

With a million plus Big East and the local rights money has to be at least equal to AAC

paying 20.5 million just to break even or come out slightly ahead, esp when you are already 70 million in the hole...doesn't seem to make sense to me.

but I wish em well.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

3 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

paying 20.5 million just to break even or come out slightly ahead, esp when you are already 70 million in the hole...doesn't seem to make sense to me.

but I wish em well.

Given up the local station wasn’t an option period. 

The AD was focused on securing the Basketball 1st. Now he has solidified the football side with a solid schedule and a good football contract. The BB is worth 4 to 5 million now football at a million. 3rd tier is probably worth another 1.5 to 3 million. UConn women’s and men’s basketball is extremely valuable. Yes UCONN will make more money in the long run. 

UCONN will make 6.5 to 10 million a year with no production cost. 

45 minutes ago, robe said:

The AD was focused on securing the Basketball 1st. Now he has solidified the football side with a solid schedule and a good football contract. The BB is worth 4 to 5 million now football at a million. 3rd tier is probably worth another 1.5 to 3 million. UConn women’s and men’s basketball is extremely valuable. Yes UCONN will make more money in the long run. 

UCONN will make 6.5 to 10 million a year with no production cost. 

I wish them well as the 17 million they're leaving the remaining members will greatly 'soften the blow' that comes with production costs. I also thank them for the 2014 NCAA championship credits that helped grow a young AAC. Good luck UConn and I believe playing 2 AAC hoops teams home-home is part of the exit agreement so I'm hoping it's Cincy/Memphis.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

4 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

Memphis would not be willing to relegate it's football program to independence (no access bowl) just to put olympic sports in a good conference. I mean, we would have lost out on the Cotton Bowl and the monies from Houston and UCF's runs.

It's clear UConn values it's men's/women's basketball programs far more than it's football program...that's in conflict with the rest of the AAC as schools like Memphis, Cincy, Houston, UCF, etc do not think that way.

Memphis is a great school with a good basketball tradition. UCONN women’s and Men’s basketball  are on the different level. UCONN wasn’t going to allow the women’s team to go to a service that only had 5 million subscribers. Comparing Memphis to UCONN isn’t remotely close. 

UCONN women’s team is the most popular women’s team in the entire world and in any sport. It is more valuable than most D1 schools entire athletic programs. They had no choice but to protect the value and the fan base. They did what was right. 

You can’t compare any other school to it. 

Independent power rating

ND

huge gap

BYU

UCONN closer to BYU than you think

Army

Big gap

liberty and UMASS

then the scrubs

11 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

I wish them well as the 17 million they're leaving the remaining members will greatly 'soften the blow' that comes with production costs. I also thank them for the 2014 NCAA championship credits that helped grow a young AAC. Good luck UConn and I believe playing 2 AAC hoops teams home-home is part of the exit agreement so I'm hoping it's Cincy/Memphis.

The whole thing is a sham. Why does K State get 30 million more than Memphis. 

BYU has struggled in independence yet we are still 2nd or 3rd in combined attendance in the west. Our football TV ratings are good. I made a spreadsheet on the 5-7 football team. ESPN and ESPN2 games for our time slot we were 2nd I believe. It’s still posted somewhere.

BYU is lucky enough to compete as an independent. Our combined income is about what a bottom P5 team makes. Unfortunately if we were P5 it would be a lot more.