Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RSF

UConn lands a FB TV deal with CBSSN

4 years, 'over 7 figures' (the $ is via the Hartford Courant).  Not half bad.

Add in the Fox/Big East money, and a probable deal with SNY, and at worst their move is going to be a wash financially, likely a few bucks ahead.  And the Fox deal is up for renewal a lot sooner.

https://uconnhuskies.com/news/2020/5/11/uconn-and-cbs-sports-agree-to-multi-year-television-deal-for-home-football-games.aspx

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

3 hours ago, RSF said:

4 years, 'over 7 figures' (the $ is via the Hartford Courant).  Not half bad.

Add in the Fox/Big East money, and a probable deal with SNY, and at worst their move is going to be a wash financially, likely a few bucks ahead.  And the Fox deal is up for renewal a lot sooner.

https://uconnhuskies.com/news/2020/5/11/uconn-and-cbs-sports-agree-to-multi-year-television-deal-for-home-football-games.aspx

the devil is always in the details...show us the deets, UConn.

is that 7 figures over 4 years or 7 figures per year? we don't know...but hey, as long as they pay their 17 million to the AAC I wish em well.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Its seven figures over 4 years.  He also said that something to the effect that it "was better than having to pay for the productions".  So, while "7 figures" covers a wide range---Im betting the actual total amount just barely hits that 7 figure range over the 4 year period.   If correct, that would be about $250-to-300K a year.  CUSA/Sunbelt teams get about $400K a year from media---but thats for football and basketball.  If we assume that 75% of the tv value is in football--that would place the deal right in the same CUSA/Sunbelt range ($400K x 75% = $300K).  Based on UConn football TV ratings being very similar to CUSA/SB TV ratings---thats probably about right.   

Guest #1Stunner

Looks like they will get a payout of around $2M per year.

That's pretty low, but will give them National exposure on a TV Network.   Plus, they get their Big East money.

Turning out to be a great move for UConn.  Their football schedule looks decent.

It's a million plus per year, according to the Courant.  And not streaming.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, RSF said:

It's a million plus per year, according to the Courant.  And not streaming.

They'll get pretty good exposure on CBS Sports. 

Have to think that being on a TV network will help them schedule games more easily, than if they were on ESPN3/ESPN+ like the AAC is doing.

2 hours ago, RSF said:

It's a million plus per year, according to the CourantAnd not streaming.

As I read the AAC contract it looks like 50% of football games will appear on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU while 34% of basketball games appear on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/CBSSN

I'd rather have a contract like that ^ making 6.94 million per team/per year, personally. Especially when you consider start up production costs that come with ESPN+ will be covered by UConn's 17 million dollar exit fee.

IMHO UConn has earned the right to do their own thing by paying out 17 million to the AAC and 3.5 million to join the BE...good luck to em

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Guest #1Stunner
15 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

As I read the AAC contract it looks like 50% of football games will appear on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU while 34% of basketball games appear on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/CBSSN

I'd rather have a contract like that ^ making 6.94 million per team/per year, personally. Especially when you consider start up production costs that come with ESPN+ will be covered by UConn's 17 million dollar exit fee.

IMHO UConn has earned the right to do their own thing by paying out 17 million to the AAC and 3.5 million to join the BE...good luck to em

What are you hearing about AAC expansion?

Is the AAC still courting Air Force?

Just now, #1Stunner said:

hell, I just hope their is football/basketball this year...damn virus has everything on hold

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Guest #1Stunner
21 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

hell, I just hope their is football/basketball this year...damn virus has everything on hold

Hope you are staying safe at the pharmacy.  

Also, hope your family can enjoy a nice vacation this summer.   I liked the lake house you shared.  Looked fun.

9 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Hope you are staying safe at the pharmacy.  

Also, hope your family can enjoy a nice vacation this summer.   I liked the lake house you shared.  Looked fun.

they got us cough/sneeze guards which I really like...makes us feel like we're in a fish bowl, but it's way safer.

92000676_2815590935154807_23477165910025

plus, they've got us in so much PPE you can't even tell it's me lol...hello from Sam's Pharmacy!

91886646_2823561144357786_14426319221937

mem skyline sig.jpeg

57 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

They may just wait and see if Tulsa athletics survives.  The Golden Showers are already punching above their weight as it is, and the current environment wont help.  They're the 3rd school in a 2 school state, and the big dogs are moving in - OU and Arkansas just scheduled a basketball series to be played in Tulsa...the 2 schools being equidistant to Tulsa.

Guest #1Stunner
4 minutes ago, RSF said:

They may just wait and see if Tulsa athletics survives.  The Golden Showers are already punching above their weight as it is, and the current environment wont help.  They're the 3rd school in a 2 school state, and the big dogs are moving in - OU and Arkansas just scheduled a basketball series to be played in Tulsa...the 2 schools being equidistant to Tulsa.

Heard a Tulsa fan explain to me one time that they could be another TCU (I assume because both schools are private, smaller enrollment?)

I admittedly don't know much about Tulsa University.  I know TCU is loaded rich with oil money.  TCU has improved their facilities over the past 15 years.   I thought Tulsa was poorer for some reason...   

5 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Looks like they will get a payout of around $2M per year.

That's pretty low, but will give them National exposure on a TV Network.   Plus, they get their Big East money.

Turning out to be a great move for UConn.  Their football schedule looks decent.

Yeah I definitely agree. I think it will even be better for their football program. They had nothing in common or any regional rivals in the aac, except maybe Temple.

UConn's issue is their spending does not match their income levels and while BE hoops and name football teams may generate a little more revenue they're starting off something crazy like 70 million in debt plus the 20.5 million it took to leave the AAC and join the BE. That isn't going to work long term, esp if they keep putting out 1-3 win football seasons.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

59 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Heard a Tulsa fan explain to me one time that they could be another TCU (I assume because both schools are private, smaller enrollment?)

I admittedly don't know much about Tulsa University.  I know TCU is loaded rich with oil money.  TCU has improved their facilities over the past 15 years.   I thought Tulsa was poorer for some reason...   

They aint poor, they just dont have enough people that give a damn.  Rice, only without the monstrous endowment.

UConn will easily make more money in the BE. They are saving a lot of money in travel costs, and being indy will allow them to put together a more profitable schedule of games. 

On 5/14/2020 at 7:24 PM, Ibanez said:

They aren't courting anyone. Air Force, like Boise State thinks their TV deal is ridiculous. And BYU makes more as an Indy by a few million a year. So BYU is better off as an Indy. The AAC has no one to add and that is the right move for them.

sans Boise's deal...I'm glad we're not stuck with a MWC level deal as 6.94 Million with ESPN exposure is > a 4 million dollar deal with CBSSN/Fox level exposure.

if AF, Army, and BYU aren't interested just say thanks anyway and stay at 11 until forced to make a decision.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Guest #1Stunner
19 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

sans Boise's deal...I'm glad we're not stuck with a MWC level deal as 6.94 Million with ESPN exposure is > a 4 million dollar deal with CBSSN/Fox level exposure.

if AF, Army, and BYU aren't interested just say thanks anyway and stay at 11 until forced to make a decision.

How long is the AAC deal?

How long is the MWC deal?

Math is hard....

1 hour ago, UofMTigers said:

Except you wont be getting that much until the MWC's NEXT deal.

Bwahahaha....