Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rebels2k3

Mark Anderson of the LVRJ - "I've also heard independently that Desiree Reed-Francois is the top candidate at UCLA."

14 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Here’s another. Why would those programs want to level the playing field w Vegas when they can come in and hand pick the recruits they want and still use the venues there as they choose?  

michael richards yes GIF

Guest #1Stunner
On 5/8/2020 at 9:03 PM, 4UNLV said:

:P

On 5/10/2020 at 3:20 PM, ph90702 said:

He does make a good point.

PAC12 mentality is more in favor of contraction, rather than further expansion...  I think the old guard wishes they were still at 10 schools.

If USC were to do the unthinkable and leave, or if Texas were to express interest in joining, all bets are off.  But otherwise, the PAC12 isn't going to expand anytime soon, if ever.

2 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Here’s another. Why would those programs want to level the playing field w Vegas when they can come in and hand pick the recruits they want and still use the venues there as they choose?  

The same could've been said of Utah and Colorado.

On 5/12/2020 at 11:36 AM, ph90702 said:

The same could've been said of Utah and Colorado.

Colorado has played at the highest level in sports forever. I’d agree that Utah underperformed for too long athletically but both Utah and CU look nothing like Vegas academically. Nothing. The Anschutz campus in Aurora shows just how little the state of Nevada cares about education. Hell, the old CU med campus on Colorado Blvd. that my wife attended is better than any set of buildings on Vegas’s campus and CU left it for dead 20 years ago.

That said, I agree. That mistake has already been made. It’s not going to happen again. 

On 5/8/2020 at 11:03 AM, BleedRebelRed said:

Stallworth and Don Logan have been the two best candidates for UNLV AD openings for a long time, but they have both been employed in better jobs and not interested in taking a pay cut to be handed the toilet plunger and told to unclog the institutional issues that have long held the university back.

after big rona'...the UNLV AD job is a pretty sweet gig for anybody in Vegas. Especially with guys like Stallworth who made their nut off arena events that may not return for years. 

and even all that aside, UNLV AD job has never been more attractive.. it just paid top-dollar for two very promising head mbb/FB coaches in the MWC...so 0 pressure for any major coaching changes for atleast 3 years and brand spankin' new facility upgrades that give UNLV the best overall basketball/football facilities in the MWC. 

if DRF is half as good as UCLA thinks she is, the new AD can just come in and ride the wave of her accomplishments. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

41 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

after big rona'...the UNLV AD job is a pretty sweet gig for anybody in Vegas. Especially with guys like Stallworth who made their nut off arena events that may not return for years. 

and even all that aside, UNLV AD job has never been more attractive.. it just paid top-dollar for two very promising head mbb/FB coaches in the MWC...so 0 pressure for any major coaching changes for atleast 3 years and brand spankin' new facility upgrades that give UNLV the best overall basketball/football facilities in the MWC. 

if DRF is half as good as UCLA thinks she is, the new AD can just come in and ride the wave of her accomplishments. 

I agree it will be an attractive job. And with both your basketball and football coaches set for at least the next few years, it really isn't that crucial of a hire for UNLV. Needing a new president and AD is a bit unfortunate though, and I think higher education (particularly in Nevada) is going to see some major cuts due to COVID.

UCLA: UNLV athletic director Desiree Reed-Francois has withdrawn her name from the running for the Bruins athletic director job, Mark Anderson tweets. Pete Thamel tweets that Boston College AD Martin Jarmond is UCLA’s top target and they have held discussions; but no deal is currently in place.

https://footballscoop.com/the-scoop-2/the-scoop-friday-may-15-2020/

Even though I was enthusiastic about her possible replacements,  DRF hasn't done a bad job....and as far as UNLV ADs are concerned; not doing a bad job makes her one of the best ADs we've ever had. So for continuity's sake, I'm glad she's sticking around. 

BUT, If I was a member of the search committee for UCLA and I'm looking at DRF's resume at UNLV:

1.) During her tenure DRF oversaw the fundraising and construction of the game-changing $35 million Fertitta Football Complex 

-Let's be real, that was Tony Sanchez's vanity project. It was his baby, the Fertittas basically bought him a 5th year. He built that thing brick-by-brick by begging, borrowing and stealing donations for a football program that no booster wanted to be associated with for decades. 

2.) DRF secured MWC top-dollar contracts for two young, seemingly up-and-coming head coaches for Football and Basketball ($1.6 mill/yr for Arroyo and $1.2 mill/yr for Otzelberger) 

-Too early to tell if these were good hires. She alienated the boosters with the Otzelberger hire and had to pay for his contract without their support. More about how she secured that $$ at UNLV with a limited budget. 

3.) DRF negotiated a 10-year, $60 million multimedia deal with Learfield IMG. This was $25 million more than the last deal. To my knowledge it's the most lucrative deal in the MWC. 

-Kudos to her, but this deal wasn't closed because of her negotiation skills or UNLV's marketability. It was 100% so they could sink their teeth into Allegiant Stadium. 

Alot of good has happened at UNLV since she took over, but her contribution is questionable at best. sooo that's my essay on why DRF doesn't completely suck but isn't great either. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

3 hours ago, Gator 82 said:

Honestly could of cared less if she stayed or left.

Are you a Tina Kunzer-Murphey fan?  Because she is still employed at UNLV and waiting in the wings for the acting president to need an acting AD until the new president is eventually hired and gets around to doing an AD search.

4 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

Even though I was enthusiastic about her possible replacements,  DRF hasn't done a bad job....and as far as UNLV ADs are concerned; not doing a bad job makes her one of the best ADs we've ever had. So for continuity's sake, I'm glad she's sticking around. 

BUT, If I was a member of the search committee for UCLA and I'm looking at DRF's resume at UNLV:

1.) During her tenure DRF oversaw the fundraising and construction of the game-changing $35 million Fertitta Football Complex 

-Let's be real, that was Tony Sanchez's vanity project. It was his baby, the Fertittas basically bought him a 5th year. He built that thing brick-by-brick by begging, borrowing and stealing donations for a football program that no booster wanted to be associated with for decades. 

2.) DRF secured MWC top-dollar contracts for two young, seemingly up-and-coming head coaches for Football and Basketball ($1.6 mill/yr for Arroyo and $1.2 mill/yr for Otzelberger) 

-Too early to tell if these were good hires. She alienated the boosters with the Otzelberger hire and had to pay for his contract without their support. More about how she secured that $$ at UNLV with a limited budget. 

3.) DRF negotiated a 10-year, $60 million multimedia deal with Learfield IMG. This was $25 million more than the last deal. To my knowledge it's the most lucrative deal in the MWC. 

-Kudos to her, but this deal wasn't closed because of her negotiation skills or UNLV's marketability. It was 100% so they could sink their teeth into Allegiant Stadium. 

Alot of good has happened at UNLV since she took over, but her contribution is questionable at best. sooo that's my essay on why DRF doesn't completely suck but isn't great either. 

The fundraising ability is why I believe that UCLA is going with Martin Jarmond.

It also wouldn’t make sense for UCLA to not get an existing P5 AD.

3 hours ago, toonkee said:

This is good news. I'm not sure she's the greatest thing ever but she ain't that bad and we need stability right now like a mfer.

Yeah losing her right now would’ve been a blow to unlv.  She’s made what seems to be the right hires in the two major sports.  Give her a couple more years though. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

7 hours ago, BleedRebelRed said:

Are you a Tina Kunzer-Murphey fan?  Because she is still employed at UNLV and waiting in the wings for the acting president to need an acting AD until the new president is eventually hired and gets around to doing an AD search.

Not at all, let’s just say I’ve grown disenchanted with UNLV.