Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rebels2k3

Mark Anderson of the LVRJ - "I've also heard independently that Desiree Reed-Francois is the top candidate at UCLA."

Well that would be bad news. She’s been doing a good job and with the current state of affairs she will be needed in the near future. If true then she’s gone. Also if true we’re going back into the dog and pony show called UNLV Administrators and Regents. Even worse news.

Just my opinion, but I still think the jury is out on whether she was a good hire at UNLV. The athletic department still has a long way to go to prove that recent coaching changes were good hires or not.

The article being referenced:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/05/08/uclas-ad-search-is-in-the-home-stretch-details-on-the-finalists-the-challenges-and-the-process/

confirmed, through multiple sources, that UNLV’s Desiree Reed-Francois is near the top of the search committee’s wish list, if not the preferred candidate.

18 minutes ago, Gator 82 said:

Just my opinion, but I still think the jury is out on whether she was a good hire at UNLV. The athletic department still has a long way to go to prove that recent coaching changes were good hires or not.

Considering UNLV's track record on ADs she has been a good hire. 

Her predecessor hired a football coach from a local high school and ran a basketball coaching search that was ridiculed nationally.  DRF's hires may still be unproven but the hiring process was pretty discreet and professional both times.

DRF was an athlete at UCLA and even when she came to UNLV it was assumed that her goal was to get back to the PAC.  If UCLA offers (and UCLA's budget problem makes it difficult for them to go after bigger name candidates) it will create another period of chaos at UNLV, since the university is still running under an "acting" president and a highly dysfunctional board of regents.

One knock on DRF is the handling of the Stadium Joint Use Agreement with the Raiders.  But it was Jessop that signed it and reportedly without DRF present.  The local radio legal expert (who was formerly in the legislature) says the JUA was as good as UNLV could have gotten based on where the legislature's bill landed them (with zero negotiating power).  One snafu on that is the first season terms only guaranteeing the Rebels five games in the stadium when they had scheduled seven.

I don't think any UCLA fan is going to look at DRF's body of work at UNLV and say it's impressive. Too early to tell if any of her coaching hires worked out.

Hats off for negotiating the multimedia deal, but let's face it she would've never gotten that without the lure of Learfield IMG getting their hooks in Allegiant Stadium.

Let DRF go and hire Steve Stallworth... insta-upgrade!

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

6 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

Let DRF go and hire Steve Stallworth... insta-upgrade!

Stallworth and Don Logan have been the two best candidates for UNLV AD openings for a long time, but they have both been employed in better jobs and not interested in taking a pay cut to be handed the toilet plunger and told to unclog the institutional issues that have long held the university back.

2 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

Three important boxes are going to be checked off with the hire

1. Woman

2. Minority

3. UCLA ties

You would think one box would be proven competence. At least she checks one more box than Doofus Dan Guerrero.

You'd think UCLA would be able to attract someone more proven, but I can see why she's a top candidate.

Having a lame duck president and no AD would suck for UNLV, but at least she already made the big hires in football and basketball (which both do appear pretty good so far, but time will tell).

On 5/10/2020 at 3:20 PM, ph90702 said:

He does make a good point.

Here’s another. Why would those programs want to level the playing field w Vegas when they can come in and hand pick the recruits they want and still use the venues there as they choose?