Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eat_Your_Dried_Fruits

Oregon bans large gatherings through September

1 minute ago, Rebels2k3 said:

Show me where in the constitution that would challenge anything Oregon is doing right now.

I haven't read Oregon's order and am not speaking directly about it all. I was addressing your sarcastic comment to battle.borne that was out of line.

But if you want to read up on the Bill of Rights and how that impacts what a state can or cannot do, I would suggest reading up on the 14th Amendment.  A better start would be to read Barron v. Baltimore to get a sense of why the Country felt the need to adopt and pass the 14th amendment following Marshall's historic opinion.  But honestly, I don't need to get into a legal debate with you because that would be senseless as it is highly doubtful that you have studied it to such an extent in which a rational debate could even be plausible.

31 minutes ago, Rebels2k3 said:

America is truly unique because we have people like you who believe public health measures such as face masks, social distancing, and measured, evidenced-based approaches to economic "re-opening" are draconian power grabs. For the rest of the world, these types of citizens are less common. For example, in Japan, these measures would seem totally mild and almost something out of daily life. Too bad Americans are sort obsessed with individualism and creature comforts that we can't accept common sense measures for solidarity.

You obviously don't know Oredigger, come spend some time on the OT side of life. 

1 hour ago, roughrider said:

True.  When this is all over we'll get to evaluate who was 'smartest' in dealing with the virus.  How will Oregon do healthwise/deathwise compared to Mississippi, etc?    And then who's economy recovers faster?   For now it's a partisan pissing match, when in reality both parties are more into money than lives.      All this dealing with it on the fly is going to be a case study for intelligent governments to learn from.

The all time oxymoron. 

2 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

When the tax money stops flowing into the public coffers, these authoritarians will change their tune fast. 

I would argue that fear is what gives way to authoritarian rule. North Korea lacks much when it comes to financial means but has a population that largely lives in fear while the authoritarian promises protections against those things that the government tells them that should be feared (such as the United States).

22 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Wow.

Why so far in advance.  

Why not reevaluate things on a 2 week basis?   

Because Oregon is run by Communists. Can’t let a good crisis go to waste!

21 hours ago, alum93 said:

I simply don't see how there will be a full college football season.  Not one with fans anyway.  

No football will suck.

23 hours ago, mugtang said:

There won’t be fans at sporting events for awhile.  I’d imagine Oregon schools won’t open until October either. 

Oregon universities don't typically open until the end of September anyway.

6 hours ago, Rebels2k3 said:

Communists? Learn what words mean.

Same mind set as those that have been protesting because they need a haircut and getting their nails done. We all suffer from entitlement to some extent... some more so than others.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

On 5/8/2020 at 11:24 AM, Rebels2k3 said:

I think for most places, attempts at re-opening anytime before July/August will backfire. It's very clear that cases are still at a plateau nationally, and that very few places like New York are actually seeing some sort of  acceptable decline in cases. Even with a decline, that doesn't mean the coast is clear for them. Places like Florida and South Dakota are obviously withholding key data for partisan purposes. If we are lucky, things could start crawling back around August, but that doesn't mean we'll see sporting events or entertainment events, nor should we. People are too unpatient to understand this, unfortunately. 

What happens in July/August that can't happen now?

And South Dakota is withholding info?!?? That's the funniest thing I've heard all day! There are only like 15 people in the entire state, but their withholding info.. got it.

Speaking of withholding info, China's numbers are totally accurate, right?

On 5/8/2020 at 10:13 AM, OrediggerPoke said:

Under your sarcastic assumption, everything a government does is theoretically in the name of 'public health' and 'public welfare' pursuant to the police power of the government.  It is scary that we are moving as a society in a direction that would willingly trade liberty for 'government protection.'  Exciting times to follow the North Korea model.

Oh my!  Next thing you know the government will be telling us how fast to drive or when and where we can buy alcohol. Or even when parks open and close.   Terrible

14 hours ago, RambleOn said:

What happens in July/August that can't happen now?

And South Dakota is withholding info?!?? That's the funniest thing I've heard all day! There are only like 15 people in the entire state, but their withholding info.. got it.

Speaking of withholding info, China's numbers are totally accurate, right?

Sorry you haven't been paying attention.

At this point, if the NCAA wants to keep football, they should cancel all non-conference games and just push all non-conference schedules one year out.

Independents would play teams on conference bye weeks. I guess. Maybe they'd just be screwed.

On 5/8/2020 at 9:48 AM, Rebels2k3 said:

Because there is no chance this is going away by September....

Love how you think you are an authority on a novel coronavirus. Schmuck!

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

35 minutes ago, battle.borne said:

Love how you think you are an authority on a novel coronavirus. Schmuck!

Epidemiologists are very clear in suggesting later timeframes if the US didn't value money more than lives and open up too soon.  Like in May.   It's likely to be next spring or whenever a vaccine is available at this rate.

Science deniers just wear you red hats in pride of your ignorance.  Don't hide it.  Or pretend you're smart.  Time will prove things.  If you read and not listen to Breitbart or Fox telling you it's #fakenews, then you'll know. 

But then again, death to the old and sick is a superior choice to slowing down commerce or making companies adjust to a new norm.  Freedom!