Jump to content
thelawlorfaithful

DOJ drops case against General Michael Flynn

Recommended Posts

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/05/07/michael-flynn-criminal-case-dropped-by-justice-department.html

Law The Justice Department on Thursday dropped its prosecution of former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn, who had pleaded guilty to lying to FBI agents about his conversations with a Russian diplomat in the weeks before President Donald Trump's inauguration.

The bombshell move, which was granted promptly by the federal judge in the case, comes more than two years after Flynn's guilty plea and agreement to cooperate with the then-ongoing investigation by special counsel Robert Mueller into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.

But it also comes as Flynn was trying to withdraw that plea on the claim that federal prosecutors had withheld potentially exculpatory material from him and his lawyers.

In court documents filed in U.S. District Court in Wasington, the Justice Department said it is abandoining the prosecution of the retired Army general after "a considered review of all the facts and circumstances of this case, including newly discovered and disclosed information."

"The Government has concluded that the interview of Mr. Flynn was untethered to, and unjustified by, the FBI's counterintelligence investigation into Mr. Flynn — a no longer justifiably predicated investigation that the FBI had, in the Bureau's own words, prepared to close because it had yielded an 'absence of any derogatory information,' " the filing said.

"The Government is not persuaded that the January 24, 2017 interview was conducted with a legitimate investigative basis and therefore does not believe Mr. Flynn's statements were material even if untrue. Moreover, we not believe that the Government can prove either the relevant false statements or their materiality beyond a reasonable doubt."

Its time to dismantle the Hoover building. Whatever our federal police force is supposed to do, the FBI has been abysmal at doing it justly.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, toonkee said:

Wild stuff. We got some big problems.

I did just watch a clip of a praying mantis easily dispatching a murder hornet, so it’s not all bad.

  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I did just watch a clip of a praying mantis easily dispatching a murder hornet, so it’s not all bad.

I think I'm going to proactively become even more ignorant. Just seems like the best choice with little to no effective downside. I'm exhausted.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Anything William Barr's Justice Department does should be accompanied by a giant f*cking asterisk.

Yes, the government admitting it created a crime because the one they were investigating was not borne out by evidence at the time they decided to try and create it is totally deserving of an asterisk.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I'm just glad this was all done in a way that will bring us all together. An independent justice department run by a real crusader for good with an unimpeachable record finally lets us all see the truth. 

LULZ

  • Haha 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Yes, the government admitting it created a crime because the one they were investigating was not borne out by evidence at the time they decided to try and create it is totally deserving of an asterisk.

You don't think Barr is a political operative and this is a political move? You honestly think this is a reflection of the Justice Department caring about justice?

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Yes, the government admitting it created a crime because the one they were investigating was not borne out by evidence at the time they decided to try and create it is totally deserving of an asterisk.

Do you or do you not think that Trump has politicized the mission of the Justice Department (beyond preceding levels)?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

You don't think Barr is a political operative and this is a political move? You honestly think this is a reflection of the Justice Department caring about justice?

I wasn’t deciphering Barr’s political motivations. I’m looking at what he’s done which is peel back the onion to reveal the rot within the FBI of recent years. If that’s useful politically for him idgaf, it should be alarming to high heaven for anyone with any semblance of knowledge at what went on here. What great heights has the FBI fallen from here? J Edgar Hoover? We’ve got bigger problems than who wins a teams and shit argument.

  • Cheers 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good!! It should have been dropped. Michael Flynn should sue James Comey to recoup all that he lost trying to defend himself. Flynn was totally railroaded

  • Like 3
  • Cheers 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Do you or do you not think that Trump has politicized the mission of the Justice Department (beyond preceding levels)?

Uhhhh, have you been paying attention, like, AT ALL? It couldn’t have been more politicized than it already was! They were literally trying to create crimes to continue investigating a President because they didn’t have a valid reason to do so!

  • Like 8
  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Do you or do you not think that Trump has politicized the mission of the Justice Department (beyond preceding levels)?

Evidently not.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I wasn’t deciphering Barr’s political motivations. I’m looking at what he’s done which is peel back the onion to reveal the rot within the FBI of recent years. If that’s useful politically for him idgaf, it should be alarming to high heaven for anyone with any semblance of knowledge at what went on here. What great heights has the FBI fallen from here? J Edgar Hoover? We’ve got bigger problems than who wins a teams and shit argument.

Peel back the onion? Rot in recent years? LOL.

Sorry dude, but I'm a cop hater, through and through. And it's not teams and shit when you are troubled by the fact that due process is applied always and everywhere selectively by prosecutors and cops. At every level. Even if the Rodney King verdict was the correct one, black people in LA were pissed for correct reasons. 

This changes nothing. Let's not pretend this is anything other than business as usual. 

  • Like 3
  • Idiot 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The previous admim DOJ/FBI leadership created this house of cards.  We havent seen anything yet.

Was it Churchill who said a lie can get half way around the world before truth can even get its pants on?

This Durham dude is just starting to produce.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The usual suspects on this board have their heads buried in the sand as usual. If you did even a little reading on this case you'd see there was nothing there and the FBI fabricated a case. 

  • Like 3
  • Cheers 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Peel back the onion? Rot in recent years? LOL.

Sorry dude, but I'm a cop hater, through and through. And it's not teams and shit when you are troubled by the fact that due process is applied always and everywhere selectively by prosecutors and cops. At every level. Even if the Rodney King verdict was the correct one, black people in LA were pissed for correct reasons. 

This changes nothing. Let's not pretend this is anything other than business as usual. 

Corrupt cops are an injustice. The leadership of an organization within a department of one of the our branches of government creating crimes in order wound the head of that branch so that implicitly one the other branches can remove that democratically elected official is something entirely different. This isn’t +++++ da police level corruption, this is it doesn’t matter how the voters vote level corruption.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

Good!! It should have been dropped. Michael Flynn should sue James Comey to recoup all that he lost trying to defend himself. Flynn was totally railroaded

+++++ Flynn. He lied and plead guilty to it twice, then refused to withdraw the plea because it would open him up to harsher prosecution. He was still wrong, the cops were just dastardly more wrong.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...