Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crixus

2020 Census

Since 2020 is a census year, here's the US Census Bureau map showing how they map the country into regions.

k_P0eMkWoqd6RCKv6ht4oKoSw5X_q5hBy6SBLLUkbF4rxLuxOXTEQpy54IG1d20JM4Fjhujik14gFBoazkm90CPq_egy1A1BMwkAKkTyk1IdpEELOFx3huAFU4TGagatkNI-3oBOmeG9X3W_HJiAeUYemF6Q0ib1xobhgtuQ2KP_J9OBfkZIpQEup8BDqjSlBiij9F-4XvoRwlnp29UMScUWq_K7VvOzrqtHOj7R3sbjCG7w9Rko-BPyp3GmTYCibLhCF36M1_ToSY81V8cH-Uttc9aHtA1gtoGeBAbb_e4QQvNAKd6be5lbsbnjO-mWMPxC2v_u2hI3PpBep6r7JEAvZjski-fyTSd71e2QMinzcUPqvh-RRZsHrcmNk2DzU6bBXsUQWLFazvEMT8a8g-4-NEb1uEEwIpQHtFLBghdJ2tfU0JDwBm8qnmy0ui36mYpZglOu7fC9aItIZUjRtMVFR8TuS862jntS8fs5Aw1wxsLk2DcM4wSTqa8ixHwuQTDoRoVYrKF3y8uOV_tAfeLII8l7FTHGPFrA7brlAvhl1S2-LuMrMHooivQIPZPzMc2y_KGt7UoieGgYcKAhkM5wcovCVr8GHF1YDhCNJl7JyR12O97dyB8WdKomEwaciI6ebaq1Z1jhEbVodTfyA5BJcF1C-tp2jeCl6zvvQQ892BGl8Cpc6SAshY9vfA=w599-h516-no

To quote the late Jim Morrison, "the West is the best". B)

17 minutes ago, crixus said:

Since 2020 is a census year, here's the US Census Bureau map showing how they map the country into regions.

k_P0eMkWoqd6RCKv6ht4oKoSw5X_q5hBy6SBLLUkbF4rxLuxOXTEQpy54IG1d20JM4Fjhujik14gFBoazkm90CPq_egy1A1BMwkAKkTyk1IdpEELOFx3huAFU4TGagatkNI-3oBOmeG9X3W_HJiAeUYemF6Q0ib1xobhgtuQ2KP_J9OBfkZIpQEup8BDqjSlBiij9F-4XvoRwlnp29UMScUWq_K7VvOzrqtHOj7R3sbjCG7w9Rko-BPyp3GmTYCibLhCF36M1_ToSY81V8cH-Uttc9aHtA1gtoGeBAbb_e4QQvNAKd6be5lbsbnjO-mWMPxC2v_u2hI3PpBep6r7JEAvZjski-fyTSd71e2QMinzcUPqvh-RRZsHrcmNk2DzU6bBXsUQWLFazvEMT8a8g-4-NEb1uEEwIpQHtFLBghdJ2tfU0JDwBm8qnmy0ui36mYpZglOu7fC9aItIZUjRtMVFR8TuS862jntS8fs5Aw1wxsLk2DcM4wSTqa8ixHwuQTDoRoVYrKF3y8uOV_tAfeLII8l7FTHGPFrA7brlAvhl1S2-LuMrMHooivQIPZPzMc2y_KGt7UoieGgYcKAhkM5wcovCVr8GHF1YDhCNJl7JyR12O97dyB8WdKomEwaciI6ebaq1Z1jhEbVodTfyA5BJcF1C-tp2jeCl6zvvQQ892BGl8Cpc6SAshY9vfA=w599-h516-no

Surprised how they grouped Delaware and Maryland. 

2 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Surprised how they grouped Delaware and Maryland. 

I'm not.  They're more south than northeast. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

I'm not.  They're more south than northeast. 

Maryland and Delaware are the definition of mid Atlantic.  Delaware is practically a suburb of Philadelphia.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_(United_States)#State_capitals

or if you prefer another link 

https://www.enchantedlearning.com/usa/statesbw/midatlantic/midatlantic.shtml

really the only place I have seen Delaware and Maryland not grouped in mid-Atlantic would be this census grouping.  And having been in Delaware, no one I knew there considered themselves part of the South.  

1 hour ago, crixus said:

Conference realignment discussions belong on the sports forum. :pitchforks:

12 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Maryland and Delaware are the definition of mid Atlantic.  Delaware is practically a suburb of Philadelphia.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_(United_States)#State_capitals

Cincinnati is basically Kentucky, but no one calls it the south. They shouldn't have called ny/nj/pa/ct mid atlantic. That better describes the northern part of the southern atlantic with Delaware, wv,  Virginia, Maryland. Its anecdotal, but when I lived in rural NY, no one I knew considered Delaware part of our region but they did consider nj and pa to be part of it.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

3 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Cincinnati is basically Kentucky, but no one calls it the south. They shouldn't have called ny/nj/pa/ct mid atlantic. That better describes the northern part of the southern atlantic with Delaware, wv,  Virginia, Maryland. Its anecdotal, but when I lived in rural NY, no one I knew considered Delaware part of our region but the did consider nj and pa to be part of it.

Other than the census show me one link that defines the mid-Atlantic without Maryland and Delaware.   My wife who lived back east says upstate New York wouldn’t know.  Lol 

https://www.midatlanticocean.org/

Just now, sactowndog said:

Other than the census show me one link that defines the mid-Atlantic without Maryland and Delaware.  

https://www.midatlanticocean.org/

I said they are the mid Atlantic. I said they're in a different region than ny and ct

1 minute ago, smltwnrckr said:

I said they are the mid Atlantic. I said they're in a different region than ny and ct

Well the map has titled : Mid Atlantic = New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey.   And South Atlantic: Maryland, Delaware,....   

Somebody better let Maryland and Delaware know because every other reference has them squarely in Mid-Atlantic.   

2 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Well the map has titled : Mid Atlantic = New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey.   And South Atlantic: Maryland, Delaware,....   

Somebody better let Maryland and Delaware know because every other reference has them squarely in Mid-Atlantic.   

I'm saying the map used bad terminology but essentially got the regions right, for the most part. I would call delaware mid atlantic. I would not call NY mid atlantic. 

Edit - I think there are three pretty distinct regions on the atlantic... north, mid and south. But if you have to draw a line to make two, they did it at the right spot for the most part.

13 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I'm saying the map used bad terminology but essentially got the regions right, for the most part. I would call delaware mid atlantic. I would not call NY mid atlantic. 

Edit - I think there are three pretty distinct regions on the atlantic... north, mid and south. But if you have to draw a line to make two, they did it at the right spot for the most part.

Yeah except I see three regions not two along the Atlantic Seaboard.  And it must shock those who fought in the Civil War they are grouped in a region with Alabama.   

4 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Yeah except I see three regions not two along the Atlantic Seaboard.  And it must shock those who fought in the Civil War they are grouped in a region with Alabama.   

1. Such is life in the borderlands. 

2. I don't think anyone living in Delaware today fought in the Civil War.

3. You can see confederate flags flown today in William Seward's hometown. Waddaya gonna do? Things are different now. 

8 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Also, there are two regions there... just one region with two sub-regions.
The atlantic is divided into a northeast and south region,

I know some people in Oklahoma consider their state to be in the Midwest. But it's the Government map that counts in the US Census and it say's South. Here's a PDF of the map I originally posted. https://www2.census.gov/geo/pdfs/maps-data/maps/reference/us_regdiv.pdf

7 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Cincinnati is basically Kentucky, but no one calls it the south. They shouldn't have called ny/nj/pa/ct mid atlantic. That better describes the northern part of the southern atlantic with Delaware, wv,  Virginia, Maryland. Its anecdotal, but when I lived in rural NY, no one I knew considered Delaware part of our region but they did consider nj and pa to be part of it.

That just because no one ever thought of Delaware...at all.

8 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Also, there are two regions there... just one region with two sub-regions.
The atlantic is divided into a northeast and south region,

I said three groupings on the Atlantic Seaboard.    New England, mid Atlantic and South Atlantic.   Even the State Department has a different perception of those groupings.

https://usa.usembassy.de/travel-regions.htm

why am I not surprised our Federal Government can’t have a consistent grouping of states from one department to the next.   

19 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Why does it matter?

More a curiosity how it happened.  It does matter in looking at groupings culturally, affinity groupings, etc.  

For those interested here is the history of state groupings.  Delaware and Maryland started in the mid states even in 1850.   It appears to have been changed by DeBow who followed the Mason Dixon line up to the point it got to Delaware.   I’m guessing it was a relic of pro-Slavery Interests in Delaware as it was a slave state though the Civil War pretty much redrew the state groupings,   

Statisticians apparently proposed to redraw the groupings along more relevant cultural and affinity grouping lines but inertia won the day.  

https://www2.census.gov/geo/pdfs/reference/GARM/Ch6GARM.pdf