Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mano

What is your Mt. Rushmore of television series

Since I watch as much kids tv as adult tv right now, the kids mt. Rushmore is...

Sesame street

Pete & Pete

Ren & Stimpy

Animaniacs

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

And my Mt. Rushmore of mountains goes like this:

Shasta

Half Dome

Morro Rock 

Marcy

Mt Rushmore isn't on there. It's an abomination. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

• M*A*S*H
  • Breaking Bad
  • Parks and Recreation
  • Battlestar Galactica (2004)

Honorable Mention

• Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (wouldn't have gotten BSG without it)
  • The Office
  • Brooklyn Nine-Nine
  • Firefly
  • Sherlock
  • Friends
  • House
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation
  • Psych
  • Suits

I can't include Game of Thrones on either list because of how god awful the last two seasons were... which effectively killed the show for me. Dexter Seasons 1-4 are in a similar boat, because 5-8 were +++++ing terrible.

I’ll go with some of the old classics. 

Dragnet

Wagon Train

I Love Lucy

Amos and Andy

Bonanza

Rawhide

The Naked City

Boston Blackie

The Millionaire

Have Gun Will Travel

Maverick

Route 66

Damn I can’t believe how much TV I watched as a kid 

I don't really have a Mt Rushmore, but those old reruns of Taxi, the ones with Reverend Jim, still crack me up.  Especially the episode where Jim takes his drivers license test.  

Some old Cheers reruns are still funny to me as well.  

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

8 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I find it hard to rank a show that has a conclusion against one that is still airing, so I’ll make two mt Rushmores.

Concluded Series 

1. The Sopranos

2. Breaking Bad

3. GoT

4. Nothing really separates itself from the pack for me, just realized I haven’t watched too many shows that have ended.

Current shows

1. Better Call Saul

2. This is Us

3. Survivor

4. The Boys

If we are talking just scripted shows, take off survivor and add Narcos: Mexico.

Have you ever watched The Wire? Looking at the rest of your list, I think you would really enjoy it. If you have HBO you can watch on HBO Go, it is also free on Amazon Prime, not sure about other services.

I don't want to be one of "those guys", but to anyone who enjoys police or crime dramas, you need to watch The Wire. I think it took a bit of a drop off in the last season, but seasons 1-4 are some of the best television ever made, everything from acting, characters, writing, etc. is top notch.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

23 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Of course you would...:P

The dialog alone makes it worth watching. They portrayed that perfectly. 

42 minutes ago, Mano said:

Have you ever watched The Wire? Looking at the rest of your list, I think you would really enjoy it. If you have HBO you can watch on HBO Go, it is also free on Amazon Prime, not sure about other services.

I don't want to be one of "those guys", but to anyone who enjoys police or crime dramas, you need to watch The Wire. I think it took a bit of a drop off in the last season, but seasons 1-4 are some of the best television ever made, everything from acting, characters, writing, etc. is top notch.

I loved the fifth season, too. They pretty much nailed newsroom culture. Ask any old newspaper reporter, and they will tell you they have all heard multiple versions of the "we'll have to do more with less" speech from an awards-crazy editor, or stood on the loading dock smoking a cigarette with other cranky ass journos wondering aloud what it would be like to work for a real newspaper. That kind of thing probably isn't universally appealing, but it speaks to the perfect detail of that show.  

Seinfeld is about a bunch of spoiled, petty, privileged white people. It’s almost racist to an extent. It’s also a show about dating and discrimination. Still funny to watch. 

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

I grew up loving Private Investigator shows. Here's my Mt. Rushmore of television PI's and their rides. B)

1. The%2BRockford%2BFiles.jpgRockford%2527s%2B-%2B1978%2BPontiac%2BFirebird%2BEspirit.jpg

2. Simon%2B%2526%2BSimon.jpgRick%2BSimon%2527s%2B-%2B1970%2BDodge%2BPower%2BWagon%2BD50.jpg

3. Cannon.jpgCannon%2527s%2B-%2B1971%2BLincoln%2BContinental%2BMark%2BIII.jpg

4. Magnum%2BP.I..jpgMagnum%2527s%2B-%2B1980%2BFerrari%2B308%2BGT.jpg

8 hours ago, Warbow said:

Seinfeld is about a bunch of spoiled, petty, privileged white people. It’s almost racist to an extent. It’s also a show about dating and discrimination. Still funny to watch. 

It was a parody. They were making fun of those spoiled, petty, privileged white people. And that's why Jerry, Elaine, George and Kramer or all of them combined ended up looking the fool in the 180 episodes over nine seasons. And they all went to jail in the finale for not helping the man who got robbed because they were too busy making fun of him. What goes around...came around to bite them.