Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

Ozark

I never watch series shows on Netflix or anywhere else, but I like some of Jason Bateman’s work, so in the last few weeks I watched the first 3 seasons and I have this to say. If super powered aliens watched that series to learn what earthlings are all about, I wouldn’t blame them if they wiped us out as a total lost cause. Holy chit.

kat.jpg

11 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

I never watch series shows on Netflix or anywhere else, but I like some of Justin Bateman’s work, so in the last few weeks I watched the first 3 seasons and I have this to say. If super powered aliens watched that series to learn what earthlings are all about, I wouldn’t blame them if they wiped us out as a total lost cause. Holy chit.

If nothing else they would learn not to mess with the cartels. 

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

It’s Breaking Bad but without all the great characters - other than Ruth. Still awesome, and you feel dirty watching it, but totally entertaining. 

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

It's funny, most of it is filmed in Georgia, not Missouri, and the very few scenes that were filmed at the Lake of the Ozarks, the police and politicians were told the film would make the area and it's people look really good. LOL!!! The people doing the film are just as corrupt as the characters in the film....tell people anything just to make a buck. So Ozark people get their name/area slimed, and then don't even get any $ benefit that the filming would've put into the local economy. Brutal. 

kat.jpg

On 5/4/2020 at 2:51 PM, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Great show, and definitely one of the darkest I've ever seen. I think they try too hard to be "Breaking Bad" at times, but it's pretty well-done. 

If you want to see one darker than this, check out the The Counselor with Michael Fassbender, Brad Pitt, etc. Great flick, very depressing, dark, evil cartel activity. That was a very realistic look at how ruthless and crazy the cartels are. The decisions the cartels make as to who dies and why just have no sense to them, and just impossible to predict their killing. Even the killing of their own has no common sense to it most of the time. That was basically the lesson of the movie. It got mid-grade reviews I think because of how truly shocking and sad it was. It bummed a lot of people out. Highly recommend it, though. I don't mind seeing violence that depicts reality like an accurate war movie or a cartel doing it's thing as it actually does.  

kat.jpg

8 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

If you want to see one darker than this, check out the The Counselor with Bradley Cooper, Brad Pitt, etc. Great flick, very depressing, dark, evil cartel activity. That was a very realistic look at how ruthless and crazy the cartels are. The decisions the cartels make as to who dies and why just have no sense to them, and just impossible to predict their killing. Even the killing of their own has no common sense to it most of the time. That was basically the lesson of the movie. It got mid-grade reviews I think because of how truly shocking and sad it was. It bummed a lot of people out. Highly recommend it, though. I don't mind seeing violence that depicts reality like an accurate war movie or a cartel doing it's thing as it actually does.  

Narcos is a good one too.

13 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

If you want to see one darker than this, check out the The Counselor with Bradley Cooper, Brad Pitt, etc. Great flick, very depressing, dark, evil cartel activity. That was a very realistic look at how ruthless and crazy the cartels are. The decisions the cartels make as to who dies and why just have no sense to them, and just impossible to predict their killing. Even the killing of their own has no common sense to it most of the time. That was basically the lesson of the movie. It got mid-grade reviews I think because of how truly shocking and sad it was. It bummed a lot of people out. Highly recommend it, though. I don't mind seeing violence that depicts reality like an accurate war movie or a cartel doing it's thing as it actually does.  

Kind of sounds like Savages with  Taylor Kitsch, Blake Lively, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, John Travolta, Benicio del Toro, Selma Hayek.

down in a hole.jpg

Season 3 approaches Breaking Bad quality to me. It has gotten better as the seasons have worn on. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Good show but not enough nudity. 

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

56 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

Season 3 approaches Breaking Bad quality to me. It has gotten better as the seasons have worn on. 

I would agree. The 4th season has supposedly already been filmed but no release date yet. The actress that plays Ruth kind of told a reporter that in season 4 she’s completely independent from the Byrdes and that’s how it looked when 3 ended. 

kat.jpg

It’s an ok show. I hate the comparison to breaking bad though. Breaking bad was great because we got to watch a mild-mannered high school chemistry teacher painstakingly morph into a hardened criminal. Batemans character on ozark starts out evil and stays that way. Every time he has the opportunity to do the right thing, he uses his ability to manipulate and lie to get what he wants instead. His “family man” persona is a veneer to keep him above suspicion. When that no longer works, he corrupts them and presents it as the only way they can save themselves. He’s a craven asshole. The intrigue is in seeing the depths hell drag them all to.

Walter white once had pure intentions. They’re gone by the time he and Jessie start working for the chicken sandwich guy, but it’s a transformation. Ozark is like if Walter white had survived, escaped to Chicago, pretended to be normal for awhile, got in with the cartel, and started a new family as a cover.

11 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

It’s an ok show. I hate the comparison to breaking bad though. Breaking bad was great because we got to watch a mild-mannered high school chemistry teacher painstakingly morph into a hardened criminal. Batemans character on ozark starts out evil and stays that way. Every time he has the opportunity to do the right thing, he uses his ability to manipulate and lie to get what he wants instead. His “family man” persona is a veneer to keep him above suspicion. When that no longer works, he corrupts them and presents it as the only way they can save themselves. He’s a craven asshole. The intrigue is in seeing the depths hell drag them all to.

Walter white once had pure intentions. They’re gone by the time he and Jessie start working for the chicken sandwich guy, but it’s a transformation. Ozark is like if Walter white had survived, escaped to Chicago, pretended to be normal for awhile, got in with the cartel, and started a new family as a cover.

I see the wife as the one who is most motivated by greed. The husband wants to get the hell out of the situation with the cartel. 

The entire Byrde family is breaking bad, being able to justify each action they take as they get more and more horrible. Ruth seems to serve as the Jesse Pinkman character, who seems the most morally bereft at the beginning of the series, and proves to be the most virtuous of the bunch by the end. 

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

11 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

Bateman is a phenomenal actor.. Halfway through season 2.

I think he’s a good actor, but nothing amazing. He pretty much has the same temperament in most of his movies with just some minor adjustments. Like in the movie The Gift, it’s the same guy. He tormented the Gordo dude in school, cheated his way to a promotion that cost another guy his job, just not as deeply corrupt as Marty in Ozark. Office Christmas Party, just a funnier version of the same guy but still vile. He does what he does very well, and he puts his character in good scripts. I’m a fan but wish he didn’t have to play an asshole as much, and ease up on the over the top vile stuff like beating off in open view in a sleazy part of town. 

The tearful emotional scenes are always tough to pull off. There’s probably a way of cheating to be able to tear up on demand these days just like lead singers pipe their live and studio vocals through pitch correction units, but it’s not easy to do naturally for almost everyone. 

kat.jpg

22 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Even until the end, Walter’s loyalty to Jesse was fascinating. I only got through a season of Ozark. I liked it, but my interest faded. But Breaking Bad, man, that was incredible TV. Only The Wire was better, IMO.