Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHAT TO DO ABOUT COLLEGE FOOTBALL IN 2020?

6 hours ago, RSF said:

If Dan Patrick is to be believed, the consensus among the conferences is headed toward a 10 game schedule.  No IAA vs IA games, 9 conference games and a regional non conference game.  With a post Labor Day start.

@#1Stunner John David has your back here.  Our November game in Provo will go on as scheduled.  If I may ask, please kindly point me to where I can acquire some ice cream in LES.  I plan on being there in November with ice cream savages in tow.  

15 hours ago, coalman29 said:

Then what? Can you imagine the backlash? Do we shrug our shoulders or do we ask what are we doing and is it worth it so we get football?

We shrug our shoulders when a player gets paralyzed, or dies during a workout, or has permanent brain damage from head trauma... Those are far more directly related to football than COVID. I mean these are 18-23 yo healthy college students. It is not like they are going to "shelter in place" until there is a vaccine. They will be out an about (even without football), many will get COVID, a few unfortunate people will die (out of the thousands and thousands that get it. Mind you this is the same for college students in general not just football players).  

2 hours ago, thedude15 said:

We shrug our shoulders when a player gets paralyzed, or dies during a workout, or has permanent brain damage from head trauma... Those are far more directly related to football than COVID. I mean these are 18-23 yo healthy college students. It is not like they are going to "shelter in place" until there is a vaccine. They will be out an about (even without football), many will get COVID, a few unfortunate people will die (out of the thousands and thousands that get it. Mind you this is the same for college students in general not just football players).  

How about the University President, do you think he would keep his job? One of the polls I saw last week still had people in favor of keeping it locked down at over 50%. Don't know if that number is still accurate...but its probably close. I don't think the number of people that think football is dangerous polls that high...so presidents get a pass when they die or get hurt in the scenarios you bring up. With the covid numbers and doubt...do you think the presidents will still get the same pass...or will they be put under tremendous pressures to resign. Now if a player dies you don't see other schools react. Would a school like CSU react differently if covid is running through the CSU team and then a player on WYO dies. You don't think people are going to be super cautious and want to shut it down?

Why do so many folks think a decision needs to be made about whether or not there will be a football season when we're still more than 3.5 months from kickoff?

Fall camps don't open until August. It seems like we can wait until at least early July to see how things are shaking out. I'm pretty sure that by July 1, most of the country is going to be "open" again. By then we'll also be able to see how well other professional leagues around the world are coping with the situation. Sure, many, hopefully most, will still be practicing some social distancing measures but life will return to a new normal by then. That's when these decisions should be made.

38 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Why do so many folks think a decision needs to be made about whether or not there will be a football season when we're still more than 3.5 months from kickoff?

Fall camps don't open until August. It seems like we can wait until at least early July to see how things are shaking out. I'm pretty sure that by July 1, most of the country is going to be "open" again. By then we'll also be able to see how well other professional leagues around the world are coping with the situation. Sure, many, hopefully most, will still be practicing some social distancing measures but life will return to a new normal by then. That's when these decisions should be made.

I agree, but this thing sure doesn’t show any signs of slowing down and common sense says the infection rate is going to get worse as people stop sheltering. But who knows what the future brings. There are a lot of puzzling aspects that we still don’t understand. Maybe it will suddenly reverse course, but doubtful. One thing for certain, if students aren’t attending classes, there won’t be football. 

2 hours ago, rebelcuff said:

Just let the students go and people in the suite.

I can't think of a single MWC school that couldn't create social distancing by just not selling single game tickets.  Season ticket holders and students only.  Let those folks in and let them choose whether to sit with their usual group of 8, or spread out.  Would be plenty of room.  It would help season ticket sales a bit too I think.

18 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I can't think of a single MWC school that couldn't create social distancing by just not selling single game tickets.  Season ticket holders and students only.  Let those folks in and let them choose whether to sit with their usual group of 8, or spread out.  Would be plenty of room.  It would help season ticket sales a bit too I think.

Boise.  We have 16k+ season ticket holders every year.  Granted, with COVID I am sure that number will drop.  But 16k+ students in our 6k stadium is not enough room for everybody to be 6 feet away.

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Boise.  We have 16k+ season ticket holders every year.  Granted, with COVID I am sure that number will drop.  But 16k+ students in our 6k stadium is not enough room for everybody to be 6 feet away.

Wow. I thought your stadium was bigger than that.

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Jesus another typo.  You kill me.  LOL 36k.  Ugh

Yeah, I knew what you meant.  I think 36K is big enough.  Figure 10K students who will take up about 8K seats.  They will, just how they roll.  So anyway, figure16K in approx. 26K seats for the other fans.  I think an extra 10,000 empty seats is enough to spread out.

The average venue seat is anywhere from 20 to 24 inches wide.  And that doesnt take into account distance between rows.  Any stadium wont be able to fill more than 1/3rd to 1/2 of their seats if any kind of distancing restrictions are implemented.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

15 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Yeah, I knew what you meant.  I think 36K is big enough.  Figure 10K students who will take up about 8K seats.  They will, just how they roll.  So anyway, figure16K in approx. 26K seats for the other fans.  I think an extra 10,000 empty seats is enough to spread out.

It depends if we mean 6 feet apart or not.  If we do, 6 feet it means we could not possibly social distance.  Our seats are packed tight, really tight.  6 feet social distancing at Bronco Stadium with our steep incline would mean people in every other row on the Y axis, cutting available seating in half right there, then we would need to spread people apart on the X axis as there are roughly 2.5 feet apart in some areas and less than that in others.  With a 6 foot social distancing lay out, Bronco stadium could hold about 9k-12k.  You demonstrating poor spacial reasoning. 

Sorry, you simply do not know what you are talking about.  Some schools have season ticket holders in a number that matters.

14 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It depends if we mean 6 feet apart or not.  If we do, 6 feet it means we could not possibly social distance.  Our seats are packed tight, really tight.  6 feet social distancing at Bronco Stadium with our steep incline would mean people in every other row on the Y axis, cutting available seating in half right there, then we would need to spread people apart on the X axis as there are roughly 2.5 feet apart in some areas and less than that in others.  With a 6 foot social distancing lay out, Bronco stadium could hold about 9k-12k.  You demonstrating poor spacial reasoning. 

Sorry, you simply do not know what you are talking about.  Some schools have season ticket holders in a number that matters.

I just don't believe that everyone would be seated 6 feet apart.  If you're in a group of 8 season ticket holders, you're going to sit together.  Right next to each other.  This opens up a lot more space.  I get that the standard is everybody at 6 feet apart, but it's not going to happen.  Six feet from people you don't know is one thing, mandating that a group of friends can't be next to each other won't happen.  That's a voluntary decision, one way or the other.  Also, mandating a face cover will be a lot more successful and makes a lot more sense than mandating distancing in an outdoor venue.  It doesn't need to be 6 feet.

Just now, Headbutt said:

I just don't believe that everyone would be seated 6 feet apart.  If you're in a group of 8 season ticket holders, you're going to sit together.  Right next to each other.  This opens up a lot more space.

Then we are not really social distancing.  Concessions and concourses would have to be closed.  People staggered at check ins.  Most season tickets are bought in twos, threes and fours, not 8's.  This sounds like social distancing but not really at all, negating the purpose.  In a stadium under 40k, you simply can not spread apart enough, even if you are allowed to be near family units, to accommodate more than 12k max.  With how steep the second deck is at Bronco stadium, every other row on the Y axis likely still falls under 6 feet.  More like 5.  I love you dude, but I just do not see how in MWC venues we could allow more than 12-13k tops in.  Aside from SDSU.  I guess for some schools that would accommodate season ticket holder, students and more.  But not at Boise.

10 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Then we are not really social distancing.  Concessions and concourses would have to be closed.  People staggered at check ins.  Most season tickets are bought in twos, threes and fours, not 8's.  This sounds like social distancing but not really at all, negating the purpose.  In a stadium under 40k, you simply can not spread apart enough, even if you are allowed to be near family units, to accommodate more than 12k max.  With how steep the second deck is at Bronco stadium, every other row on the Y axis likely still falls under 6 feet.  More like 5.  I love you dude, but I just do not see how in MWC venues we could allow more than 12-13k tops in.  Aside from SDSU.  I guess for some schools that would accommodate season ticket holder, students and more.  But not at Boise.

OK.  Lets look at it a little differently.  While we aren't going to agree on the specifics leading to how many can be seated in any particular stadium, one thing is clear.  Each municipality will control all those inputs.  So, limit it to students and season ticket holders and cap the number of season tickets.  Pretty easy to set up a priority system, most schools already have one.  Or, just cap attendance and figure another way to manage it.  It still comes down to there being no reason to entirely exclude fans from stadiums.  As for concessions, I stand in a heavily managed line at the grocery store to pay for my groceries, no reason that can't be the same to buy a beer.

On 5/8/2020 at 4:30 PM, coalman29 said:

Lets say they do decide to play. With a very cautious approach with measures like no fans. But hey...we get football. Then a few players get it. Like the NBAers, a few get it but they are young and well conditioned so it comes and goes. We shrug our shoulders but hey..we get football. Then it goes rapidly through a whole team...forcing them to cancel or postpone a game. But hey...we get football. Then lets say an older coach gets it and doesn't make it. The University Prez looks at the AD and shrugs their shoulders. But hey...we get football. Then a player gets it and doesn't make. Then what? Can you imagine the backlash? Do we shrug our shoulders or do we ask what are we doing and is it worth it so we get football?

Why not take this approach with every disease then? Every flu season, shut down the world.