Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

NCAA Board of Governors Supports 3rd Party Payments for Name, Image, and Likeness.

Here's the recommendations

EWxeqh5XkAIXf76?format=png&name=900x900

I'm a big proponent of this, but trying to keep NIL payments separate from recruitment seems like an impossible thing to enforce. This is going to be used to recruit athletes

17 hours ago, sebasour said:

Here's the recommendations

EWxeqh5XkAIXf76?format=png&name=900x900

I'm a big proponent of this, but trying to keep NIL payments separate from recruitment seems like an impossible thing to enforce. This is going to be used to recruit athletes

As long as boosters are allowed to participate it will simply devolve into thinly veiled "pay for play" deals with third party payers.  There is no way to control it if boosters are allowed to participate.  Furthermore----I'd argue that any attempt by the NCAA to "cap payments" would amount to blatant antitrust activity and will result in yet another lawsuit in which the NCAA would be liable for a hefty damages payout.  Additionally, as best as I can tell, any attempt by the NCAA to control NIL payouts would directly conflict with the California NIL law---and likely would conflict with many of the other state laws that are currently working their way through the legislative process.  

If there are no fixed limits to the total amount of money received by each player this will simply be used by the power 5 and a very small number of other universities to distance themselves further from the g5 schools. We will become less and less relevant and will slip farther and farther behind.  It is unjust and unfair however it is the way things in our nation usually work.  It will be interesting to see if the far left in universities who often demand that everyone receive the same opportunities and be paid the same for their work (in this case image/name etc.) will receive the same monies and benefits.

Don't misunderstand I am not opposed to allowing the name/image/likeness for money payments but I am simply trying to point out the consequences which we will encounter. Small schools in small states and small cities will suffer the most.  Ohio State, UCLA, Florida, Texas etc. will not suffer at all.