Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeffkills

OT - Do Aliens Exist?

Do aliens exist?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do aliens exist?

Yes.  But they haven’t contacted us and the distance between us and the next intelligent species is probably too great for us to ever know they are there.  To put this in perspective let’s say the odds of a star in the observable universe developing intelligent life are infinitesimally small, something like 1:100 quadrillion (although they’re probably better than that). But using that figure that means there are about 10,000 intelligent civilizations in the observable universe.  But that also means we’re probably alone in our galaxy and within our local group.  Which means we will never be able to contact them.  

Let’s take that a step further.  The observable universe is estimated to be .25% of the entire universe.  Using those same figures that means there are currently 4,000,000 intelligent civilizations out there.  But, again, the distances between us and them are so vast we will never be able to observe or contact them.    Again this is assuming infinitesimally small odds of complex intelligent life developing. This doesn’t mean the galaxy isn’t teeming with bacterial, microbial or even simple life forms.  

I’m guessing the odds of intelligent life developing are better than that but we are probably still alone in our galaxy.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

My current line of thought is that aliens are out there, but they have never and will never visit Earth. Whether they're intelligent or not, I couldn't tell you, but the likelihood of another intelligent species being alive when we are and close enough for us to be in contact with is just about nil. I'm a proponent of the answer to the Fermi Paradox being the time it takes to become intelligent doesn't correspond with other species. As in, the Great Filter is probably in our past, but we may be the first species in a billion years to move beyond it, and will be the only one in a billion years. 

Are other life forms out there...YES

Are any of our numerous UFO accounts aliens...NO

======================================

These tapes were leaked 2-3 yrs ago, and have been widely available for a while now, so what's the big news?

"Navy pilots spoke about objects that seemed to defy the laws of physics."  I didn't see anything defying the laws of physics.  ¿Did y'all?  They mentioned the fact that one of the objects was flying against a strong head wind, however so were the jets pursuing them & I didn't see any of the "UFOs" pulling away, thus no laws of physics being broken then ¿No?

I believe in this UFO. 

9 hours ago, mugtang said:

Yes.  But they haven’t contacted us and the distance between us and the next intelligent species is probably too great for us to ever know they are there.  To put this in perspective let’s say the odds of a star in the observable universe developing intelligent life are infinitesimally small, something like 1:100 quadrillion (although they’re probably better than that). But using that figure that means there are about 10,000 intelligent civilizations in the observable universe.  But that also means we’re probably alone in our galaxy and within our local group.  Which means we will never be able to contact them.  

Let’s take that a step further.  The observable universe is estimated to be .25% of the entire universe.  Using those same figures that means there are currently 4,000,000 intelligent civilizations out there.  But, again, the distances between us and them are so vast we will never be able to observe or contact them.    Again this is assuming infinitesimally small odds of complex intelligent life developing. This doesn’t mean the galaxy isn’t teeming with bacterial, microbial or even simple life forms.  

I’m guessing the odds of intelligent life developing are better than that but we are probably still alone in our galaxy.  

This...I've seen somewhere there is a theory that based on the odds we are more likely to be visited by future humans than extraterrestrial life. 

This is pretty easy.  Statistically, it would be virtually impossible that Earth were the only place in the Universe with life given the size of the universe.  Under our current understanding of physics, it seems unlikely that other forms have life have visited Earth.  But our understanding of physics is still rapidly evolving.

Of course, aliens are real.  And they live among us.

image.jpeg.3ec549392cd57dee23a7ac0ecbafa8b1.jpeg

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

13 hours ago, Jersey Rebels said:

My current line of thought is that aliens are out there, but they have never and will never visit Earth. Whether they're intelligent or not, I couldn't tell you, but the likelihood of another intelligent species being alive when we are and close enough for us to be in contact with is just about nil. I'm a proponent of the answer to the Fermi Paradox being the time it takes to become intelligent doesn't correspond with other species. As in, the Great Filter is probably in our past, but we may be the first species in a billion years to move beyond it, and will be the only one in a billion years. 

The Universe is still in its infancy. It’s possible that in a trillion years the universe will be teeming with life with multiple advanced civilizations in our galaxy.  But I think we’re one of the earliest civilizations in the Universe.

I also think we have a responsibility to document the Universe as it exists today.  Those future civilizations won’t be able to see anything beyond the stars in our galaxy and the local group.  Everything else will have receded beyond the cosmological horizon.  Everything they see will lead them to believe the entirety of the Universe is contained within the local group. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

15 hours ago, mugtang said:

FB_IMG_1588195111120.jpg

12 hours ago, RSF said:

Of course, aliens are real.  And they live among us.

A surprising number of otherwise level-headed people believe this.  My brother is one of them.  The idea is the 'aliens among us' don't know that they're actually aliens.

Caveat: My brother smokes an insane amount of weed.

8 hours ago, mugtang said:

The Universe is still in its infancy. It’s possible that in a trillion years the universe will be teeming with life with multiple advanced civilizations in our galaxy.  But I think we’re one of the earliest civilizations in the Universe.

I also think we have a responsibility to document the Universe as it exists today.  Those future civilizations won’t be able to see anything beyond the stars in our galaxy and the local group.  Everything else will have receded beyond the cosmological horizon.  Everything they see will lead them to believe the entirety of the Universe is contained within the local group. 

So...the future civilizations will be 'Flat Universers '.  :hmmm: