Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

madmartigan

Mt Rushmore of MWC Hoops

2 hours ago, toonkee said:

This ain't a dpoy discussion.

I'd take Jamaal Franklin over Hutch.

Yeah, but that is dumb.  Hutch was the best offensive and defensive player in the conference for two consecutive years.  His offensive stats were far better than Caleb Martins for two years, and unlike Caleb could guard the 1 through 5 and shut them down.  The MWC has seen very few players like that  Sam And Jamaal are not in his class, not close really.  Caleb certainly was not.

2 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yeah, but that is dumb.  Hutch was the best offensive and defensive player in the conference for two consecutive years.  His offensive stats were far better than Caleb Martins for two years, and unlike Caleb could guard the 1 through 5 and shut them down.  The MWC has seen very few players like that  Sam And Jamaal are not in his class, not close really.  Caleb certainly was not.

Go hang your regular season stats banner with the San Diegan. Is Russell Westbrook your favorite nba player? 

38 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Go hang your regular season stats banner with the San Diegan. Is Russell Westbrook your favorite nba player? 

Hutch carried a team with bottom half MWC talent.  Silly to knock him for being on an otherwise poor team.  He was simply the best player in the conference on offense, and the best defender in the conference, for two consecutive years.  Not often this conference has ever seen that.

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

Russ ain't a bad choice. 

OT, but one of my favorite players all-time?  Rasheed Wallace.

48 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Russ ain't a bad choice. 

OT, but one of my favorite players all-time?  Rasheed Wallace.

My point was he puts up stats and is a very good player but don't win shyt so who cares?

The guys I'd put on MWC Mount Rushmore are:

Dairese Gary

Brandon Ewing

Dorian Green

Jimmer Fredette

Sorry, no Kawhi or the other guys that were really good.  These are the guys that I think of when I think of MW basketball.  

12 hours ago, toonkee said:

My point was he puts up stats and is a very good player but don't win shyt so who cares?

And Faulks SDSU teams sucked but he is certainly one of the best college football players ever.

Seems silly to punish Hutch for being surrounded by average to poor talent.  The "did not play in a very good era" argument makes since.  No MWC players after 2013 should be considered using that logic.

If this included the history of WAC schools that broke off & became the MWC and are still current members - along with Kenny Sailors you have to include Fennis Dembo.  Fennis was a great player with a magnetic personality!  

down in a hole.jpg

2 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

And Faulks SDSU teams sucked but he is certainly one of the best college football players ever.

Seems silly to punish Hutch for being surrounded by average to poor talent.  The "did not play in a very good era" argument makes since.  No MWC players after 2013 should be considered using that logic.

Hutch was great his last 2 years, but Dalron Johnson for Early 2000's UNLV was great for 4 years and put up better numbers overall. He shouldn't be on it either though.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

2 hours ago, nielsbohr said:

The guys I'd put on MWC Mount Rushmore are:

Dairese Gary

Brandon Ewing

Dorian Green

Jimmer Fredette

Sorry, no Kawhi or the other guys that were really good.  These are the guys that I think of when I think of MW basketball.  

Green and Gary? Those are reaches.

Ewing was a beast though.

Sam Merrill is a lock compared to all of them.

If Wink Adams played 1 more year he'd be a lock as well. That guy put up more numbers in 3 years than many considered here put up in 4.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

1 hour ago, BestintheWest said:

Hutch was great his last 2 years, but Dalron Johnson for Early 2000's UNLV was great for 4 years and put up better numbers overall. He shouldn't be on it either though.

Only two high productive years is a fair criticism.  I would say, looking at the stats, each of his last two years was significantly better than any years Johnson played.  Their junior years each had 17.4 ppg, Chander had almost a rebound per game more and half an assist more.  Johnson had more blocks and turnovers.  

Senior years Hutch had 4.5 ppg more, 1.5 repounds per game more 1.4 apg more.  Playing a weak era in the MWC and only two highly productive years is good enough reason to keep him off though.  Not being surrounded by other talented players is not.

Derek Marks might be Boise States best contender and arguably his best season was his sophomore year, a year the MWC was really, really strong.

On 4/30/2020 at 9:21 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Chandler Hutchinson is no Marshall Faulk. We wouldn't be arguing about him if he was.

My final offer...Hutch can be on my second team. 

Merrill, a conference poy, a two time tournament champ and two time tournament MVP,  who goes in there and wills his team into the NCAA tournament, against a national top 5 team, gets the start.

21 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Adams over Cody Doolin?

Doolin did hit the game winning layup against NW baptist our lady of the pines or some school like that.

2 hours ago, toonkee said:

Chandler Hutchinson is no Marshall Faulk. We wouldn't be arguing about him if he was.

My final offer...Hutch can be on my second team. 

Merrill, a conference poy, a two time tournament champ and two time tournament MVP,  who goes in there and wills his team into the NCAA tournament, against a national top 5 team, gets the start.

Fair, I already decided Hutch only having two seasons of high productivity and playing in a weaker era should eliminate him.  Not sure about Merrill though.  For a Mount Rushmore I would get it, if I was building a team, I would take Hutch of him or Jimmer.  Defense matters.

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Fair, I already decided Hutch only having two seasons of high productivity and playing in a weaker era should eliminate him.  Not sure about Merrill though.  For a Mount Rushmore I would get it, if I was building a team, I would take Hutch of him or Jimmer.  Defense matters.

good point about "Mt Rushmore" versus an all-time, all-conference team.

Likely would be different players.

But srsly, Jimmer not starting on the team?