Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Del Scorcho

Utah State and Oregon schedule football series

Last time Oregon came to Logan (2001) they were #6 in the country and Joey Harrington was QB . It was 24-21 at the end of the 3rd qtr. before the Ducks went on to score 14 unanswered points in the 4th qtr.

Hopefully more P5 teams will start to visit Logan.

I don't ever want to play Oregon again haha. The last couple times have been brutal.

I'm still pissed at Polian though, for cancelling our game with them in Reno.

It will definitely be cool to have them at home, and USU is much closer to competing at that level than we are.

7 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

Why would Miami ever travel to Logan?

Even players at the U need to tap the Rockies now and then.

3 hours ago, WasatchAggie said:

As I understand it, it's a home and home and then a $$$$$ game for the third one.  

It’s a 2-1 no matter how I look at it.  The financial folks from the schools probably see it differently though.

12 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

Even players at the U need to tap the Rockies now and then.

Calais Campbell from Denver was a star at Miami.

I remember when we played them in the Potato Bowl it was the first time that a lot of their team had seen snow.

16 hours ago, RamSack said:

It’s a 2-1 no matter how I look at it.  The financial folks from the schools probably see it differently though.

Not really. There's no payment made in a traditional 2 for 1 agreement. The agreement is simply 2 home games for usually the greater or P5 team in exchange for 1 home game for the lesser or G5 team. Both sides keep their own gate for all home games. For example, USU just finished the last game of a true 2 for 1 agreement with Wake Forest this past season. Wake Forest made no payment to USU for either game in Winston-Salem. USU's guaranteed money game last season was at LSU. 

The Oregon deal is a 1 for 1 and then a guaranteed money game the 3rd year. If it were a 2 for 1 deal then Oregon would simply say USU's "payment" is coming to Logan once, they wouldn't offer to send the Ducks to Logan and also pay us 1.5M-2M on top of that.

25 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

Not really. There's no payment made in a traditional 2 for 1 agreement. The agreement is simply 2 home games for usually the greater or P5 team in exchange for 1 home game for the lesser or G5 team. Both sides keep their own gate for all home games. For example, USU just finished the last game of a true 2 for 1 agreement with Wake Forest this past season. Wake Forest made no payment to USU for either game in Winston-Salem. USU's guaranteed money game last season was at LSU. 

The Oregon deal is a 1 for 1 and then a guaranteed money game the 3rd year. If it were a 2 for 1 deal then Oregon would simply say USU's "payment" is coming to Logan once, they wouldn't offer to send the Ducks to Logan and also pay us 1.5M-2M on top of that.

The actual payment for the third game is $875,000. Still a very good deal for a school like USU

47 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

I don't think this is true. Payments are typically even made in home and home arrangements.

At least this is how Nevada typically schedules. Chris Murray always covers the financial agreements pretty well.

1 hour ago, bigd said:

I don't think this is true. Payments are typically even made in home and home arrangements.

At least this is how Nevada typically schedules. Chris Murray always covers the financial agreements pretty well.

Most often if money is paid in home and home schedules it is used to cover expense's, usual amounts are the same in other words Oregon could get say $100,000 to travel to Logan and USU will get $100,000 for the first trip to Eugene.The amount is decided before.

4 hours ago, ole blu dude said:

Most often if money is paid in home and home schedules it is used to cover expense's, usual amounts are the same in other words Oregon could get say $100,000 to travel to Logan and USU will get $100,000 for the first trip to Eugene.The amount is decided before.

I guess you're right, but it does seem to be closer to $200-400k for Nevada. For example here are our future schedules and payments:

Aug. 29: vs. UC Davis (-$375,000)

Sept. 5: at Arkansas (+$1.5 million)

Sept. 12: vs. UTEP (-$400,000)

Sept. 19: at South Florida (+$225,000)

Net: +$950,000

Sept. 4: at Cal (unknown payment)

Sept. 11: vs. Idaho State (-$350,000)

Sept. 18: at Kansas State (+$1 million)

Oct. 9: vs. New Mexico State (-$200,000)

Net: TBD

Aug. 27: at New Mexico State (+$200,000)

Sept. 3: vs. Texas State (-$400,000)

Sept. 10: vs. Incarnate Word (-$400,000)

Sept. 17: at Iowa ($1.5 million)

Net: +$900,000

Sept. 2: at USC (+$1.6 million)

Sept. 16: at Texas State (+$400,000)

http://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/nevada-football-to-get-gigantic-payout-to-play-at-arkansas-in-2020

6 hours ago, TrueAg said:

Like I said, the financial folks look at it differently than me as a college football fan.  I don’t really care about the financial aspects of college ball.

16 hours ago, TrueAg said:

There's generally a payment involved (which can vary wildly in amount), with the added proviso of a buyout, which often has the effect of making of 2-for-1 a one-off with a higher single payout that ends up being the same amount exchanged when the whole series is played.  Even long-term hone-and-home have payouts (see Utah/BYU below, among others).

And WF paid USU 475K.

b115697f-f7a5-4e43-8644-f2cce562fb33-nca

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.