Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

Lung Surgery

Made it through the surgery. Will have the full pathology report within the week. Thank you all for the support!

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

On 4/28/2020 at 9:41 AM, BSUTOP25 said:

Hi all,

As the curve has flattened here in Massachusetts and hospital capacity hasn't hit the dire worst case projections, I'll be having a surgery tomorrow to remove a growing golf ball sized tumor in my right lung -- provided my COVID-19 test I took yesterday comes back negative. The staff at Mass General believes there's a low probability the tumor is cancerous but they won't know for certain until they perform a biopsy and examine the surrounding lymph nodes. And while the doctors believe it's likely benign, it's growing and already quite large so it's only a matter of time before it starts causing complications -- that's why they elected to surgically remove it without doing a needle biopsy or PET scan.  

Anyway, although the risk of me contracting COVID-19 at the hospital is low, there's no 100% guarantee. So I wanted to send a note in advance that if things go south, I appreciate the fellowship and laughs on this forum. Should I contract COVID and not make it out of the hospital, you all have my best wishes, even you Trump nut huggers, radical commies, and the neanderthal. Life is short, so live it well. 

Best,

BSUTOP25

PS: One last image to leave you all with ....

C00XgJhW8AAxCqI?format=jpg&name=medium

Good luck, man, you may be my best frenemy so I am looking forward to continuing our special relationship.  All my best.

Posted Image

On 4/28/2020 at 9:41 AM, BSUTOP25 said:

Hi all,

As the curve has flattened here in Massachusetts and hospital capacity hasn't hit the dire worst case projections, I'll be having a surgery tomorrow to remove a growing golf ball sized tumor in my right lung -- provided my COVID-19 test I took yesterday comes back negative. The staff at Mass General believes there's a low probability the tumor is cancerous but they won't know for certain until they perform a biopsy and examine the surrounding lymph nodes. And while the doctors believe it's likely benign, it's growing and already quite large so it's only a matter of time before it starts causing complications -- that's why they elected to surgically remove it without doing a needle biopsy or PET scan.  

Anyway, although the risk of me contracting COVID-19 at the hospital is low, there's no 100% guarantee. So I wanted to send a note in advance that if things go south, I appreciate the fellowship and laughs on this forum. Should I contract COVID and not make it out of the hospital, you all have my best wishes, even you Trump nut huggers, radical commies, and the neanderthal. Life is short, so live it well. 

Best,

BSUTOP25

PS: One last image to leave you all with ....

C00XgJhW8AAxCqI?format=jpg&name=medium

Good luck, man, you may be my best frenemy so I am looking forward to continuing our special relationship.  All my best.

Posted Image

31 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Made it through the surgery. Will have the full pathology report within the week. Thank you all for the support!

Glad you made it through.  :cheers:

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

40 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Glad to hear it. Keep us updated! 

19 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Good news!  Glad you are okay.  Here's to the pathology saying BENIGN!!! 

down in a hole.jpg

Pathology came back and it’s a mixed bag. Here’s the readers digest version:

- tumor was malignant so cancerous 

- it’s a very rare type of cancer and one that there is no real case study record of originating in the lungs, myoepithelial carcinoma

- has a high probability of coming back, will need to get a PET scan soon then have recurring CT scans every 3 months for the next several years 

- good news is it had not spread as far as they can tell, no cancer cells in the lymph nodes — but need to verify with the before mentioned PET scan

- PET scan will also determine if any additional treatment is necessary 

9 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

- it’s a very rare type of cancer and one that there is no real case study record of originating in the lungs, myoepithelial carcinoma

- has a high probability of coming back, will need to get a PET scan soon then have recurring CT scans every 3 months for the next several years 

- good news is it had not spread as far as they can tell, no cancer cells in the lymph nodes — but need to verify with the before mentioned PET scan

I'll be thinking good thoughts for your full and speedy recovery. It's a shame you will no longer be allowed to vote. :shrug: :cheers:

26 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Steel yourself. It might get rough. You’re not in this alone, we’re all here for you if it gets rough. Remember if you start feeling despondent, the world is filled with good things and they’re worth fighting for. Don’t let yourself forget that you’re one of them. And if you ever need a good kick in the ass if things start to seem like too much, hit me up. I’ll Henry the V the shit out of you.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

2 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Steel yourself. It might get rough. You’re not in this alone, we’re all here for you if it gets rough. Remember if you start feeling despondent, world is filled with good things and they’re worth fighting for. Don’t let yourself forget that you’re one of them. And if you ever need a good kick in the ass if things start to seem like too much, hit me up. I’ll Henry the V the shit out of you.

+++++ it — I’m going to rewatch Cobra Kai and Johnny Lawrence this shit. But I appreciate the support.

Sounds like they caught it early if it's not spread. Keep us updated. This board is unanimously behind you, for what it's worth.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

28 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Steel yourself. It might get rough. You’re not in this alone, we’re all here for you if it gets rough. Remember if you start feeling despondent, the world is filled with good things and they’re worth fighting for. Don’t let yourself forget that you’re one of them. And if you ever need a good kick in the ass if things start to seem like too much, hit me up. I’ll Henry the V the shit out of you.

Yep at the end of the day this board is a close community of sorts.  Glad it’s not in the lymph nodes and here’s to treating it aggressively and becoming cancer free.  

1 hour ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Certainly not the greatest news, but at least it hasn't spread. Hang in there, and know that we're all behind you. 

10 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Yep at the end of the day this board is a close community of sorts.  Glad it’s not in the lymph nodes and here’s to treating it aggressively and becoming cancer free.  

As you know, I’m with the best of the best when it comes to cancer treatment. MGH and Dana Farber kick ass with this shit.

1 hour ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Oh man. At least you're an original! 

You're going to crush that shit. I know it.

Just now, NVGiant said:

Oh man. At least you're an original! 

You're going to crush that shit. I know it.

Thanks NV. That’s the plan.