Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AndroidAggie

1177: fall of civilization in the late bronze age

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Coincidentally, 1177 BC was the last year Wyoming won a conference championship in a major sport.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

19 hours ago, AndroidAggie said:

tons of really good stuff.  so complex.  i'm enjoying it immensely.

I did not watch the video but I will give my input on the subject as it is one I am familiar with.  The legendary "Sea People" shaped world history in a way arguably no other civilization has since.  The disrupted the ability to produce bronze, and in a small island somewhere in the Mediterranean now lost to history, a people learned to forge iron out of necessity.  The forging  of which was only due to mass disruptions in the supply chain.  From my understanding they were a pirate nation forged from Myceane (sp?) remnants of conquered states, recruited North Africa and were a refuge for all the lost peoples of the Mediterranean.  If you were a lost man with no county, you sought them out, and there were tens of thousands of such men over that century.  They rampaged and unleashed furry never seen before and rarely since.  Destroying everything in their path.  There was nothing like it at the time.  You had an estimated 100,000 pirates collected from around the world, with only the biggest and bad being accepted.  They launched from the sea, giving no warning.  By the time you had 1000 boats on the horizon even the great empires were +++++ed, they could not mobilize from their vast land empires fast enough to dare to hope to stop the total destruction of their largest cities.  There was no time.  It was Blitzkrieg.  You saw them, you knew everything you loved was about to be destroyed.    

52 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I did not watch the video but I will give my input on the subject as it is one I am familiar with.  The legendary "Sea People" shaped world history in a way arguably no other civilization has since.  The disrupted the ability to produce bronze, and in a small island somewhere in the Mediterranean now lost to history, a people learned to forge iron out of necessity.  The forging  of which was only due to mass disruptions in the supply chain.  From my understanding they were a pirate nation forged from Myceane (sp?) remnants of conquered states, recruited North Africa and were a refuge for all the lost peoples of the Mediterranean.  If you were a lost man with no county, you sought them out, and there were tens of thousands of such men over that century.  They rampaged and unleashed furry never seen before and rarely since.  Destroying everything in their path.  There was nothing like it at the time.  You had an estimated 100,000 pirates collected from around the world, with only the biggest and bad being accepted.  They launched from the sea, giving no warning.  By the time you had 1000 boats on the horizon even the great empires were +++++ed, they could not mobilize from their vast land empires fast enough to dare to hope to stop the total destruction of their largest cities.  There was no time.  It was Blitzkrieg.  You saw them, you knew everything you loved was about to be destroyed.    

And IIRC they had chariots, no?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

2 minutes ago, happycamper said:

And IIRC they had chariots, no?

Some of the vanguard.  But mostly it was ships, hundreds of them moving at great speed so there was no warning.  Then foot soldiers with little to no armor but in huge numbers and with such surprise just leveling everything.  The minute you knew they were there, you and everything you loved were already dead.  Too many, too fast.  The land empires had no means of recourse because they depended on agriculture and were defending vast land resources.  in a pitched battle the Sea People would have assuredly gotten their asses kicked by every empire they laid destruction to.  It was hit and run and hit and run for a century.  With nothing left living.  And the targets being the biggest cities of the biggest civilizations.  

4 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I did not watch the video but I will give my input on the subject as it is one I am familiar with.  The legendary "Sea People" shaped world history in a way arguably no other civilization has since.  The disrupted the ability to produce bronze, and in a small island somewhere in the Mediterranean now lost to history, a people learned to forge iron out of necessity.  The forging  of which was only due to mass disruptions in the supply chain.  From my understanding they were a pirate nation forged from Myceane (sp?) remnants of conquered states, recruited North Africa and were a refuge for all the lost peoples of the Mediterranean.  If you were a lost man with no county, you sought them out, and there were tens of thousands of such men over that century.  They rampaged and unleashed furry never seen before and rarely since.  Destroying everything in their path.  There was nothing like it at the time.  You had an estimated 100,000 pirates collected from around the world, with only the biggest and bad being accepted.  They launched from the sea, giving no warning.  By the time you had 1000 boats on the horizon even the great empires were +++++ed, they could not mobilize from their vast land empires fast enough to dare to hope to stop the total destruction of their largest cities.  There was no time.  It was Blitzkrieg.  You saw them, you knew everything you loved was about to be destroyed.    

Not the furry, anything but that!

tumblr_ll2to1u3ZI1qguurxo1_500.gif

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.